I Forge Iron

ANVILS ?????? (help)

I need a new anvil badly I have been blacksmithing for seven years my current is a russian cast steel it was either that or a cast iron one asking why I took this long to get a good anvil ( one word college) I'm looking at several different anvils around the 250 to 300lbs range, here's my problem....

1. a wide face like Nimba Centurion
2. a narrow face like old world anvils Austrian workhorse
3. a narrow face with side shelf like ozark pattern

Others I've considered are Peddinghaus/Rigid, Refflinghaus, Kohlshwa the thing about kohlshwa is I don't know the dimension and I'm sure shipping will be very expensive

Like last night I was working on some tools and some artistic stuff. On the tools I'm like I need a wide face but on the artistic stuff I'm like I need a narrow face. but I'll do both works equally and sometimes I'll make horseshoes which is like once in a blue moon

so any help here would be awesome if any y'all owns anyone of these anvils tell me how you like it, pros and cons or ones I haven't consider all the information I could get would be great...

Tye - You received some honest info on the other site about your same question as you posted here - alot of ppl frequent both sites, so I think the answers will be the same. This will really come down to "you" as your the one paying for it and only you know what you want/need. An anvil can be of any shape, as long as it has the mass to back up the work your doing. Many ppl use just a square block of steel. What is wrong with the anvil you are using now?

Or, as you've been using your current anvil for the 7 yrs of blacksmithing.... what has been the problems you've encountered with using that particular anvil? - What do you wish was changed while you are forging? That will be the answer to what shape you should be looking for.

I did receive good advice from the other site but I just want more opinions on anvils to see whats, what and the whose, who of anvils, my current has no hardy hole it looks like they tried to make one but fail miserably the horn is atrocious, the anvil it bounces around to much, it weighs around 50lbs I worked with friends  that have a heavy anvil its so much easier after you get past the 200lbs range I find my self working a oak stump with a mild steel plate screwed on it for the heavier work, I want to start working on heavier projects I want to be able set tools in my hardy I could go on and on, as you said I need mass I just want opinions on certain anvils which is better that others I know certain anvils do better with certain jobs but this light weight I have doesn't cut the mustard for heavy projects... for example I have been making hardware for an extremely heavy door the wood itself on the door weighs in about 150lbs this is a heavy door its need heavy strong hardware to support it, my little anvil bounces around, the mass of the isn't were it needs to be if I cut something of on my make shift hardy the I placed in my over size pritchel hole which is 1 1/2 inches the tool spins around every time I strike again because of the weight it bounces a plethora of problems I could go on forever  

I need mass but what I'm asking which is the better of the masses, I don't want to sound unappreciative of your opinion sir and I thank everyone for there interjections I'm just so frustrated with my anvil and in buying the styles are insurmountable

Hey I agree with Mr. Powers. I have all sorts of chunks of steel to beat on some are anvils, my favorite is a saws anvil no noise when hitting this 250 lb mass or a 600 lb piece you can use a 14 lb sledge on with no fear. A nice 280 lb Wright is my work horse. Each piece has it advantage over the next. I know it is a tough decission. You will find your way.

You have been to college and you don't know where the punctuation keys are? Or the SHIFT key? You REALLY don't save that much time by not using them and it isn't costing you any ink not to mention that it makes it hard to keep up without it.

Anvils are somewhat like cars. Lots of different kinds, styles and colors...Only you can decide which is best for you.

Two more anvils for you to consider, an EMMERSON HORSESHOE anvil out of Bossier City, Louisiana , I have one a student abandoned in my shop it is a good london pattern with a 1" hardy hole , cast steel , loud ringer, with a very sharp point on the horn. Laurel Machine and Foundry in Laurel Mississippi is casting steel anvils, I hear they are good.

Brasilikilt

I actually live in a coal mining area there plenty of heavy machinery, actually in the past when I first began blacksmithing I asked for a piece off one of these continuous miners http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/thesouthern.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/5/bf/eeb/5bfeebc8-70c6-500f-8b04-ef65e59b3476.image.jpg... I personally have no welding skills but I know several machinist and welders who work on these pieces of equipment, to them it was simply out of the question to cut a block off it, or to cut pieces off and weld them together to make an anvil out of it; That would be awesome to have an anvil of that quality of steel. the problem was the man hours the plasma cutter and the stuff needed to weld it is expensive that's all I know. Also that was several years ago I was a teenager it was in $thousands$ to complete it I hate to see the price now. As for other big machinery there isn't any farms near except in Tennessee that would be anything close to that size. As for Craig's list I've looked, there isn't any in my area I blew a chance for a heavy anvil 2 or 3 years ago in Tennessee but the guy sold it and I was at college in eastern Va it was to far away to come back.

Why cut and weld? Just use a good sized chunk as it stands if it has a flat side to it somewhere! Remember it doesn't have to be a London pattern anvil to be an anvil!

"there is no need for a wide face when forging": well it depends on what you are doing! I met a 5th generation smith in Stroud OK once that had take one of the old oilfield bridge anvils and flipped it over---built a stand to hold it upside down as he needed a wider anvil than the bridge anvil (and they are wide to start with) for a job he did quite often.