I Forge Iron

Welding leads

Glenn

A fellow ask me to replace the weldings leads on an old working buzz box.

What is your suggestion to making the plug in lead longer and how long? Can you gain anything by making this cord longer to save the cost of the welding leads?

What is your suggestions for a good working length for the ground and stinger leads?

Each persons requirements or needs are different, generally speaking the lead with the rod holder should be about 10 foot longer than the ground lead, as the ground is just clamped on to the work and the rod holder lead has to be capable of moving around the work in different locatons.

I also use the pigtails. I have a set of relatively short leads for work in the shop and a set of longer leads I keep on the wall for work out in the white rock & cocoa wheats.
Works well for me, Like Jr says the ground is about 10' shorter on the short leads and I have it about 20' shorter on the long leads.

JWB

I have a 20' long "extension cord" for my buzzbox and it helps a lot. You don't need to upsize the wire as much since the amp draw is less on the high voltage side of the box.

Currently I have to run it into the house to the kitchen stove outlet to ues the welder. Waiting on the electrician to get power to the shop...

Thomas

I have always used a 20' stinger lead that's made from a discarded TIG lead and have never had ANY problems. Granted, that was when I was welding in the boilers for a living, but we used to string leads 100 -200 feet from machine to worksite and had very few problems. The only REAL problem was when someone would unplug you and steal your lead!! GRRRRRR!!