I Forge Iron

Smithy special 3 or 4?

There is a downside... portability. Also the larger anvil takes a bit more room which could be a problem if your smithy space is tight. If you'll keep it in one place and have the room for it it will work better for you. It would be a poor choice for a demo anvil because even with two guys it's a LOAD to move around. Even if you just move often it might become a problem to transport.

Yes, no, and maybe. A few years ago, I purchased a 350# Hay Budden and walked it into my shop (on its feet) and set it behind my power hammer. It stayed there on the floor for about 5 months. I kept looking at it while I continued to use my 250# Trenton. I was not doing really heavy ironwork. A guy approached me with a $ offer that I couldn't refuse, so I sold it.

"The bigger the anvil, the shorter the anvil stand."

Once you are getting above about the 250# range you are into the "big range" and most hobby smiths will not see much difference going up---unless you have a source of strikers and do a lot of 1"+ sq stock work.

So I'd make the decision on condition, brand and price (and if it's a good deal, borrow money, buy both and turn around and sell the other and pay off the loan)

I love my 515# anvil with the dead flat and smooth face. I do sometimes have to do work between the edge and one of the hardy holes and of course for small forks and things I have the heel of a small anvil close at hand---but the majority of the smiting is on the big anvil!

I bought one of the "Anvil Envy" T shirts at the last Quad-State I attended. I was slightly miffed that they didn't give me a discount as I coined the phrase over at anvilfire quite some time ago...

We all tend to suffer from it; though I have been buying more small anvils since the big ones as they are easier to load and transport when I go to teach a smithing class...

• 3 weeks later...

I know the usual wisdom is get the biggest you can afford and I feel a difference- a huge difference between the 340 and the 140 pounder but realistically not much difference between the 280 and the 340. What makes a difference is that the 340 is on a better stand. So now you have got your big anvil make a good stand for it and make sure she is at the correct height. I don't think you mentioned what anvil it is. If it doesn't have an upsetting block, and most don't, then look to incorporating one in your stand.