I Forge Iron

If I understand your question, you want to make a long socket head bolt. The way to do it is to forge weld a collar on the end of a bar. Once you have done that you get the bolt head good and hot, place the bolt through a bolster to support the head and drive in a punch of whatever shape you want the socket to be.

Wrong kind of bolt,hummm :huh:

try using the same method for spears. drill a hole thru both sides of the socket and thru the shaft (even and inline of course) place the socket on the bolt shaft and take a small piece of metal (depends on the size of your hole) and either 1: place the rod/piece of metal thru the holes and wood so about 1/4 in. sticks out on either side of the socket. heat (optional) and bend the rod ends down so it locks the head in place. this works quite well. also if your bolt shaft shatters ll you have to do is remove the pin and put the head on another shaft. sorry if this is hard to read i will reiterate if you need me to!

when forging the socket, forge a small tab on the open end and drill a small hole before rolling the socket. once you jamb it onto the shaft, tack it fast and it will not come off in use but is easy to remove if need be. i have done it on spear sockets and small javelin-like heads so it should work on a crossbow bolt.

• 1 month later...