I Forge Iron

Got a odd press

JJordan

There I was at this auction; I swear I was there to get a blower for the forge and a post vise. But no one was bidding on this old press. So I picked it up (with help from a buddy) for 25$. Hay you can’t go wrong for 25$. But it has me stumped this thing seems more like a large c clamp then a press. There are no markings on the thing. The threads are screw theads not acme, It has about 8 inchs of travel. It has smooth travel and it is starting to clean up well. So if anyone has any ideas as to what this thing is feel freel to put in your two cents worth. In the pictures that is a line of oil not a weld. And yes I got the blower and post vise too.

post-22671-0-91834600-1314885618_thumb.j

post-22671-0-96836400-1314885620_thumb.j

post-22671-0-51953900-1314885622_thumb.j

The local amish harness shop has one of those . They use it to form leather. They have 2 piece forms made of wood kinda like we have closed dies. They soak a piece of leather put it between the forms squeeze it tight ,leave it till dry and the leather stays that way.

Judging from how heavily the whole thing is built, I bet it can generate quite a bit of force. But the fine pitch on the screw will make it awkward for forging operations. It's definitely no fly press, although it's a very distant cousin. Try it out and see what it can do!