I Forge Iron

Value of a Kohlswa

$300 for 75# is steep to me. Look around some more, or get a good sized chunk of scrap, shoot $100 should get you a BIG chunk of scrap to hammer on. Try Craigslook, or some other search site for used items. I found 3 anvils in the past 2 years on my local Craigslist ; 170# H-B for $175, a 125# JHM journeyman $250 in a package deal that included tools, folding stand, and a gas forge , and a 50# for $60.

75# isn't that big of an anvil, and I would suggest 125-175 would be a better choice. The only reason I bought the 50# one is that one of the forges I have is a real tiny forge , and I wanted a small anvil to go with it. I have used the JHM a few times, and it did fine for what I was doing. I had more issue with the folding stand that it came with for long projects. My anvils go up to a 306# Sodefors, although I have the most time with a 260# Fisher that is really quiet in use. If you are doing light projects 75# may work, but you may be limiting yourself with one that light.

I would say pass it sounds like a steep price and a small anvil. Hard to believe anvils are hard to come by in Texas. I would keep looking and build myself a "Brazeal Style" anvil to use until a good deal comes along. I recently found a 410 lb Trenton for $1.22 / lb. on craigslist, just type in "Anvil" in the search box and be patient

That hardly looks like an anvil in 95% condition to me... of course the pics are pretty poor but the edges look a bit chipped up and the face seems to be quite thin and possibly delaminating. Personally I would only offer about $200 for it, even if I was really wanting one. 75 pounds is just pretty light for most work anyway.

You know that I've bout 2 powerhammers at less than that; one in AR and one in OK, Texas is not that far...

Have you put up a notice in the local feed store yet? How about an advert in the local free sales paper?

If you plan to be doing this a while a 75# anvil will not keep you happy for long and if you tied up your cash in it you might not be able to get a better one when it comes along. I'd forge on a chunk of fork lift tine and save the cash!

Seems like the best deals come along when you are not "hungry". Last year I bought a 112# PW in near mint condition for $150 in Albuquerque NM on craigslist and have ignored listings for poor quality anvils at 4 times that price per pound.

As for the basic supply of Anvils: well it's best where there was a heavy population density 100 years ago. Places like NM where the population was squat are anvil poor. Places like OH with a strong industrial base and lots of small farms are the happy hunting grounds. Even so there were more anvils in the cities than in the country! Just harder to find them (and more of them were scrapped).

I offered him $200 cash right then, 2 BENJAMINS for something HE GOT FOR FREE!!! Alas, my offer will stand, until I find another one. Yes I need a bigger anvil, I have a 75lb Fulton on a stand that'd easily support 1,000 pounds. (God bless auctions). I wanted another anvil, because I have a buddy that wants to do some blacksmithing, and I can't let him be at my house everyday. So I was gonna buy him an anvil.

They may have been in a fire, but how hot did they get? You can also re-heatreat them easier than some other repairs. The last batch of tongs I got I paid $3 ea. and got 24 pairs. For searches I hit the main header (items for sale) instead of say tools, far and ranch , etc, and type in anvil, or blacksmith.

3 of the anvils, I saw, and they have the reddish-brown patina that stee/iron gets when it's hot all over for a good amount of time. (LIke a micro thin shell of scale) And I have no use for a toasted vulcan anvil, I need a round horn, not a squarish one

I have a 119# Kohlswa and a 300# Fisher... I bought them both in the last 4 months. I used SearchTempest too... I look 4-5 times a day... I see anvils on there that are gone in hours at $3.00 and up per pound here in Oregon. I bought the 119# for $150 and the 300# for $360.... Both had some flaws, but were had for a great price by searching continuously...

Yeah, my deal is I'm not legally old enough to drive a car or truck. But I can drive a peice of industrial machinery to wherever no problems. I love stupid laws. I found 2 old forges on craigslist in a picture of some stuff in a materials page. I will own one of them

Stewart why should folks overpaying for stuff make me mad? Always idiots out there. Always some people fishing for those idiots... I only get angry when everyone else selling stuff wants to charge the "idiots" price.

I have a friend who was the blacksmith at a historical village for a decade or so who also bought and sold smithing tools on the side. Checking out the sidewalk sale in a antique store he was flabbergasted at a rough set of farm tongs with a $45 price tag on them when the owner came up and said what a great price that was for those---she had an antique price guide that listed a pair of tongs that had been made as a demo by a big name (Henry Ford?) that was listed as having sold for $90 so she thought that a $5 set of rough farm tongs would be a great deal for $45. My friend offered to sell her 100 pairs at $22.50 apiece so she could really make some money...

The market will dictate the price. If there are enough people willing to pay $5/pound for anvils, almost all anvils will sell for $5/pound. That doesn't make the buyers or the sellers idiots. If noone is willing to pay $5/pound, the sellers won't get that much for it, even if that is their asking price. The sold price is the price agreed to by the buyer and the seller. Pretty simple economics.

If I was selling an anvil, depending on the circumstances I would probably want to get as much as I can for it. If I thought I might get $10/pound I would ask that much.

It always amuses me how so many people respect a guy who has made millions through being an upstart entreprenuer. However, that respect rapidly vanishes as soon as it affects them financially.

What I see though is a lot of people basing their price on the asking price of an item that *never* sells at that price. They should be basing their price on the *actual* *selling* *price* of the item. This does make them an idiot IMO as they are not finding out about the *real* market vs the *fantasy* market. That may be a bit harsh---it perhaps merely makes them *lazy*.

Of course I grew up on the story about the two old hill farmers that made themselves rich selling a mule back and forth between them...

I am also familiar with Tulipmania and the South Sea Bubble both classic examples of artificial markets we had to study in Economics.

And I'm notoriously cheap and cranky!

When you see people asking high prices (at least higher than what you are willing to pay), they are basing it on something they have seen or heard. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with ebay. Bottom line is sellers like Matchless and Ironsmyter DO sell their anvils for $3+/pound on ebay and people see these prices.

A lot of people selling their anvils are NOT anvil experts. They don't know the difference between a railroad track anvil and a Hay Budden. They probably don't care either. They have an old anvil in their shed that they should finally get rid of. How do they determine the asking price? They don't know what the 'real' market value (as determined by who???) is as the resource they use to base their prices (likely ebay or Craigslist) do have anvils SELLING for those prices. That is not a fantasy market.

I was more referring to folks basing their prices on the "buy it now" price which is often wildly inflated rather than the final sale price for an item. That I consider a "fantasy price".

$3 a pound perhaps but how about the folks who are saying that $12 a pound is a great price for a trashed low quality anvil?