I Forge Iron

New Coal Supplier ???

Picked up a flyer at CanIron last month and I just found it again.
Apparently a new coal supplier has opened up in Hamilton.
I haven't checked out this place yet but i figured I'd post the info in case someone was looking to pick up some coal and wanted to investigate.
Here's what the flyer says ...

That's exactly what it says on the flyer, so don't ask me to interpret meaning. I'm hoping this is legit, a coal supplier so close in S.Ontario would be nice ... not that Thak's is extremely far away, but one closer is always better.

Cheers.
Sam.

PLEASE contact the site admins about where to send the bill to pay for your advertising here at IFI

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I grabbed a couple of bags the other day, but haven't had chance to try it yet (am in the process of repairing my forge).

It looks good, and was a reasonable price. He (Frank) seems like a heck of a nice guy too.

Hoping to have the forge back together this weekend so I can give the coke a try. Will let you know.

He has been around for quite a while. I bought some anthracite from him about 10 years ago when that was all he had. I bought some soft coal from him a couple years ago which was pretty good. If you are buying coke, the coke from Alcarb is quite a bit cheaper but is a little inconsistent in quality. As well unless you are buying a ton or so, they prefer to sell the coke at one of the two OABA coke run days.

I am really liking using coal from professional farrier supply, it is @ $25/50lb I have never had coal to compare (i have only used coke before this) i'm looking to experiment with many differand sullpyers before i dive into one... i have had alcarb coke,m it is very heavy and large.

Sounds like you got one of the bad batches of Alcarb's coke. I went down with Mark Puigmarti about 6 months ago he was getting a couple of tons, The stuff they had looked pretty good so I picked up almost a ton. I burn mostly propane so the coke should last me quite a while.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Ironic, ive not wanted to pay out my nose for coal or coke and wanted to buy in bulk but was not available from the 2 main vendors i knew of. the day after i brought home 3000 pounds of coke i was driving through ontario about 20 min from my place and due to the flooding the last couple of weeks the bridge is out. I had to take a detour and in doing so saw a large hill of anthracite so asked about it. The owner has been selling bituminous coal for blacksmithing nut sized and anthracite but never advertised it. Prices are very good at $17 a 50 pound bag and cheaper if you buy in bulk. He told me to let others know his contact info.

Name at xxx-xxx-xxxx

He is good about getting back to people but takes a little time.

im going to get another 2000 pounds or so. Price is by far the best for me even if i had to drive farther.

PLEASE contact the admins about  where to send the bill for your advertising

Krush Sir,

$17 for 50 pounds would be somewhat steep for the U.S.

Tractor Supply sells anthracite 40 lb. bags for about $6.00

Have you contacted the Mennonites/Amish around St. Jacobs Ontario? (Kitchener- Waterloo area), they may be able to sell you some for a better price.

Especially if you buy in bulk.

Where are you located? (London?, Tobermory?).

SLAG.

Got it, in the Bruce peninsula.

In my area prices for bitumous coal is 60 percent higher than what i mentioned in the above post. From my searching and and digging to find the most economical fuel source I was excited to find a source that much cheaper and even better that close to me.

I cant speak to the quality of the coal and that can be a whole different story all together but i believe it comes out of pennsylvania and kentucky. At that price I will definitely be giving it a try next time i need more. For now I have 2500 pounds of coke to burn up first.

Im not paying for advertising but xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Trying to do a end run around the site rules is not allowed. You ARE using the site to promote their product. That is advertising and you are acting as their agent.

I don't think telling people about  a cheaper local source of a fairly obscure product  is advertising if there is not a strong relationship between the poster and supplier.  How is it any different from the mention of tractor supply carrying it for $6

It does not matter what you think, Advertisers pay or get deleted

I agree with you, I just figured I’d pass along the info to anyone like me looking for an inexpensive supplier of coal. I’m not taking anything away from other suppliers mentioned and I’ve used all their stuff and was happy but the one I tried to share is local to my area and great price.

This thread has been dormant for 7 years.  A warning was given to the original poster at that time. 

Recommending a produce or source without first trying that product is of no benefit to anyone.  

Advertising is the act or practice of calling public attention to one's product, service. 

The thread is closed.