I Forge Iron

I am looking for a small-medium sized swage block. It is not an urgent search but if anyone has one that they want to get rid of. I need it to have a 1" hole so i can make hardies and i would like it to have V's on one edge.
thanks
Josh

Hard to beat these swage blocks for a deal.http://www.saltforkcraftsmen.org/swage.shtml They do not have hardy holes though. I would suggest that you'd be better off with an anvil or at least a post vice to mount a hardy. BTW I think these blocks do have two vee shapes on the far ends in the pictures... you can see their tops where the shovel end is.

Great blocks, I have had one for several yrs and use it more than I thought I would. They need some dressing up as they come to you straight from the mold. A good grinder with a sanding disc will have it ship-shape in no time tho. The cone mandrel comes the same way and are a heck of a deal. Tsur Sadan and Amit Har-Lev made a bending fork for the hardie at the 2010 ABANA conference and used the hardie hole of the anvil to make the shank. I bought that one at the auction on Sat. nite :D and then came home and made one just like it for the Saltfork Craftsman tool box. I have made several other hardie tools by this method and am very satisfied with the results. And yes, I do have a large swage block with the sq/rd holes. When you do use your anvil's hardie hole make sure that you have the shank HOT when you drive it into the hardie hole, only use 2-3 good blows, let it cool and then remove. Reheat to HOT again and repeat til you get the size you want. If you drive it into the hole and it is too cold it won't shrink enough to come out and then you do have a mess! :wacko:

i have seen the saltfork blocks, i want to use it mostly to make hardie tools as thomas said, i am worryed about upsettin in the anxil because i have heard a ton of storys about people that tryed it and cracked the heel of their anvil off... is there any thuth to that happening?
Thanks
Josh

Yes, that can happen IF you are driving it too COLD. As I mentioned earlier, I have made several hardie tools and have used the hardie hole of my anvils to size them. Granted, you need to forge them down close to what you need and the you will need to make sure that your part is HOT and then only stike it 2-3 good solid blows then let cool to remove. One other thing, just because you have a swage block with sq. holes doesn't mean the hardie tools made in them will fit your anvil! Most likely they will not fit.

As many of us use quite old anvils we have no idea of the possible abuse it may have seen earlier in it's life and tend to err on the side of caution WRT the hardy hole.

If you have someplace else to drive the piece into I'd use it and then just do the very last run on the real hardy hole---or if you are close an angle grinder will usually dress it to fit!

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a small-medium sized swage block. It is not an urgent search but if anyone has one that they want to get rid of. I need it to have a 1" hole so i can make hardies and i would like it to have V's on one edge.
thanks
Josh

Joshua,
John Newman here in Hamilton casts his own swage blocks and he has a few different styles/sizes - they're the ones listed on the Blacksmith Depot site and others. I figure the drive over to pick one up would be cheaper than shipping form the US. You can PM John and ask him all about his swages.
Good luck.
Sam.
Hamilton, ON.

Joshua,
John Newman here in Hamilton casts his own swage blocks and he has a few different styles/sizes - they're the ones listed on the Blacksmith Depot site and others. I figure the drive over to pick one up would be cheaper than shipping form the US. You can PM John and ask him all about his swages.
Good luck.
Sam.
Hamilton, ON.

thanks for the tip hamilton is 4 hours from me but alot better than the states

• 9 months later...

I'd weld on a couple of side spacers and then put an extension to make it a saddle for your anvil and skip the chains---perhaps a could of big wing bolts to hold it to the anvil; but I'd more likely run a piece back to the hardy hole leaving it over the sweet spot but keeping it from moving back and forth with the side extensions covering the other axis.

But yes, I'd like one too ifn I could afford it!

• 2 months later...

Joshua - there's a swage block listed on kijiji.ca in the Odessa (Kingston) area. Link below.

http://belleville.ki...QAdIdZ398196516

I've no idea of your budget or travel resources. If it comes to it contact me before SOFA's Quad State, I plan on going down this year. There are usually a few people selling smaller (about 40 lb) blocks there.

Don.

Edited by Don Shears

• 6 years later...