I Forge Iron

Iron Kiss announcement

I am also glad to hear this. I've been wanting one, and will get on eventually (was planning on getting one this summer until Blacksmith Depot became the dealer, then my work shut down). Once I'm done playing catchup, I'll be contacting you John. I'm more than happy to deal with you directly.

John don't know what happened , don't need to know. I do know no one blows you own horn like the person who created it.
I read your blog everyday. The hours of sweat and time you put in makes a great hammer. I hope all goes well for you & the Depot.
You never know till you try.

I may take a hammer to quad states. It remains uncertain right now.

There are no hard feelings on my part about this needed change. It was an experiment that I've monitored carefully and it hasn't worked as I'd hoped it would. BD felt the same way, so we went our separate ways. It is really simple to do when all it takes is one conversation and there is no litigation-type stuff involved.

One of my strengths that is now back in effect is the ability to talk sensibly and sensitively to customers, sometimes over an extended period of time. For example, I'm shipping a hammer this week that has been a 9-month wait for the customer, but he spent far more than a year asking for information and videos and local-to-him references. Every customer is unique. Every customer needs to believe in the product and the producer.

It will be a week or so before my web guy can do anything for me. His first job will be simple, After that the whole site needs some TLC.

John,
My website is not one to hold up as an example, but the iWeb I use on my iMac is just fine for what I do.
Your may wish to have a look at the basic Apple package. So far I am OK with it...nothing is perfect though.
I recently altered every page..took 40 minutes. I can add video links to uploaded youtube videos in minutes and re-arrange the page from standard settings.
All the basic stuff ones needs.

Ric

• 4 months later...

I have an IRON KISS and it is one fine hammer.
I also looked at and asked a lot of questions of John and others from proffesional to hobbiest.
Then I looked closely to how it was made ( fit and finish and quality of construction and component parts )
I am a machinist and probally examined it closer that most would.
If you are in the market for a hammer you might want to add this one to your list for comparision.
I think it will meet and or exceed most expectations.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Dave. Danger Dillon, this is the first 200. I've built them up to 160 before, but without the 20:1 mass ratio and without the 5" custom cylinder. The color was requested, or it would be gray. :-) I'm still in testing/refinement mode. I'm using a Versa 5-port, 2-position valve that is solid brass construction including the spool. It is a beautiful piece of machining and design, but it has a lot of inertia and I am planning to change to a valve with an aluminum spool from Bosch Rexroth that my friend Jeff Reinhart just steered to my attention. The inertia problem reduces some of the snappiness I like to put into my machines for light treadle planishing. I really don't expect to exactly mimic my smaller machines' snap, but I designed the 200 to get a bit closer than I am. In a utility hammer the mass of the spool when it is air actuated evidently dominates the behavior just like F=MA says.