I Forge Iron

tempering a crow bar

I found a crowbar with my lawn mower, and it bent one of the nail puller part, so I have to heat it bend it back and harden and temper it. Is possible with a simple setup. I can't heat the whole thing up, its a 40" long one, am I going to put a hard breaking point on the bar if I only heat and temper one end that I can fit in the gas forge? I don't think that I can just hammer it back, with out breaking the prong, I would guess it work hardened when it bent. Or should I just call it a loss and buy a new one? thanks for the help.

When I make or alter pry bars I generally leave them "as forged". They should NOT be hardened... thus no need for tempering. Normalizing might be useful when working on an end with thin cross section, to counter any unintentional air-hardening (but I rarely do it). It is better to use a higher carbon steel and leave it unhardened when more strength is needed... or just to use thicker steel. You would NOT want any brittleness in a pry bar. By keeping heats minimal and working the material to shape quickly you will keep grain growth down too and have a good working tool. This approach has always been satisfactory for me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks , that sounds do able for my skill level. I am guessing just use a torch on the end low cherry red bend it and put it in vermiculite. sound reasonable?

NO! That would anneal the end that you want to harden and strengthen. You would quench it in oil (NOT vermiculite) and then bake it back to about 900 degrees Fahrenheit (greasy stick method).

Note that this depends on what alloy the crowbar is made from. Generally they are a medium carbon steel; but they can be high carbon or even Titanium---remember the russian Ti crowbars sold about a decade ago?

I'd spark test it first and adjust the tempering temp based on that lower for a medium carbon steel and higher for a high carbon steel.

Assuming that you sparked and found it to be medium or high carbon, I have a suspicion that the entire crow bar is hardened and tempered.. You can protect the part behind the claw by wrapping with a wet rag leaving only the claw protruding. Another way is to use Heatstop or Heat Fence, a putty like material designed to keep heat from traveling. Once you've done that, the claw can be heated, straightened, normalized, hardened, and tempered (to perhaps a pale blue tempering color.

I did my crowbar repairs yesterday. I heated the end I worked on till above magnetic, quickly dunked in water until the surface just started losing color, but mostly was still some shade of cherry red and then set aside to finish air cooling. When i tested it out, it seems to work just fine.