I Forge Iron

Big Urn

Fe-Wood

I just finished this the other day. I see a lot of possibilities for me working in this area. I like the idea of being able to combine all the materials and methods I enjoy in one piece.

The materials are cast and forged Pewter for the top, Turned California Walnut for the lid, Spun Steel for the vessel and Forged Steel for the legs with Steel Rivets holding it all together.

Comments?

post-6253-0-19331500-1309928844_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-01837400-1309928900_thumb.jp

thats a really good combo of materials - i love the forged legs with the other smoother finishes, and the wood is a good color with the metal. we were having a conversation on another post about more detailed crits on work, and i always like to read this stuff, sooooo ... if i was going to critique it properly for you ( you dont have to listen!! - just my oppinion) i would have liked to see a larger or somehow defined rim to the vessel, so that where it meets the wooden lid it finishes in a definate way - like a lip of some kind of decorative edge. my eye notices where the wood and metal edge meet and i think a rim would look good. i really like it though and i think people should be more brave mixing materials - this is very successful :) thanks for posting!

Fantastic, the combination of materials and techniques really makes it stand out!

I like how from bottom to top it gets lighter, really well proportioned too.

The only criticism that I can think of is that I like three legs for items like that over four legs, but that is as much a matter of choice then anything else.

Caleb Ramsby

Very nice Fe- I do think that Beth makes a good point about the rim, a little offset may give it a whole other dimension. I do like the fit it looks very tight, also Ramsberg make a good point I believe that 3 legs tend to sit better.

Wow!!! Thank you all sooo much!!!

When I finished this piece and stood back to look at it, I felt, I nailed it! I achieved the vision I had. That in itself is great! Its wonderful others like it too!!

As far as the suggestions (opinions) raised, and I do thank you for being candid. I think a lot about the lip or some sort of "transition" between the edge of the spinning work and the beginning of the lid. This is not argument, just my thought process... It interrupts the nice smooth flow of the line in an unpleasant way. Structurally, it adds to the strength of the rim but visually, I feel it is distracting. Most of the spinning work I do does not have a lip. I prefer to use heavier material... I really like the clean flow and how the eye can naturally continue the curve.

As far as the 3 vs 4 legs, I felt the mass of the vessel needed something more substantial as the feet. I originally drew it as 3 legs...

I really appreciate the comments!!!