I Forge Iron

How much does it cost ?

Я расскажу вам мой друг, ваша работа отличная, и вашицены на цель даже где-то здесь (США)

I will tell you my friend your work is excellent and your prices are right on target even for around here

welcome to the forum

I don't agree at all.........The bed alone, which I can see some detail on (labor intensive, high end detail at that) would cost at least double that out of my door. The chandelier and swing are light as well. Why compete with fab shops when YOU do the good stuff.....my2ctsw........:D

The cost of such work is often tied to the reputation of the artist. I know in knifemaking 50% of the cost may be due to the reputation of the maker. Also the venue it is sold in. An interior decorator might sell such items *high*---many times the price you might get in a small out of the way store.

I don't agree at all.........The bed alone, which I can see some detail on (labor intensive, high end detail at that) would cost at least double that out of my door. The chandelier and swing are light as well. Why compete with fab shops when YOU do the good stuff.....my2ctsw........:D

Hi,colleagues!
bed in the store stands in one and a half more. I do not pay rent, shop belongs to me. I work myself with two helper. Very low taxes. I can assign these prices.

Hi,colleagues!
bed in the store stands in one and a half more. I do not pay rent, shop belongs to me. I work myself with two helper. Very low taxes. I can assign these prices.

Sure we can convert Rubles? to $ at the going rate, but the economic translation is blurry for certain............very nice work!

I gotta go with Mack maybe even higher, that bed in the high end shops would bring $ 4,500.00 the chandelier $ 2,500 and the swing easily $ 3,000.00

the price you see in the store is at least double their cost. If they sell it for $4000 they paid $2000,...and they paid it to the maker, on that note when its sold in the store for $4000
even though you made it , you don't get the $4000 you get $2000, sometimes less,...then its time to raise your prices

the price you see in the store is at least double their cost. If they sell it for $4000 they paid $2000,...and they paid it to the maker, on that note when its sold in the store for $4000
even though you made it , you don't get the $4000 you get $2000, sometimes less,...then its time to raise your prices

Commissions is how I sell, so I get retail. I reckon the bed would take me, working at an unhurried pace about 2 weeks. If I sold it at a store wholesale for $2000 or $1000 a week, I'd rather go fishing to go broke........I don't know what Alex pays for a loaf of bread, but that has to be a factor..........

Well I'd rather *gift* work rather than sell it at a loss!

That reminds me of something I read a while back, although I don't remember exactly where. A charity needed lawyers to help them out, so they started off by offering them an honorarium, something like $50 an hour, in exchange for their help. And nobody volunteered. They then suggest that instead the lawyers volunteer their time, which would be $0 an hour. And they got the volunteers they needed.

Commissions is how I sell, so I get retail. I reckon the bed would take me, working at an unhurried pace about 2 weeks. If I sold it at a store wholesale for $2000 or $1000 a week, I'd rather go fishing to go broke........I don't know what Alex pays for a loaf of bread, but that has to be a factor..........

Hi, guys!
Bread in Russia's 2 time cheaper than in Europe. But new L200 Mitchubisi 30000 usd. economic translation is right.
:blink:

• 1 month later...

While I'm not in favor of undercutting or working for dirt cheap, it seems like a necessity to at least establish a reputation. I could be wrong about this, but it seems like until you've established yourself, you need to lure people in with lower or "more competitive" prices.

Still, the pieces in these pics are beautiful. It seems a shame to think it would be worth so little.

Alexander, that stair railing is absolutely beautiful! I can see you are not restrained by the 100mm code, Here,and some other places,no space on a railing can pass a 100mm ball. I am wondering, did you really get.... fourteen thousand, five hundred dollars? It would be an astounding price here. Great work.

While I'm not in favor of undercutting or working for dirt cheap, it seems like a necessity to at least establish a reputation. I could be wrong about this, but it seems like until you've established yourself, you need to lure people in with lower or "more competitive" prices.

Still, the pieces in these pics are beautiful. It seems a shame to think it would be worth so little.

Thats reality for you, value is a perecieved notion, and does vary by location, particularly global.

At the end of the day mutual satisfaction between client and maker is the objective of the exercise.

Selling yourself short by trying to entice people in with a low price is a precarious road, it's difficult enough to quote an economically viable price for the experienced, let alone the unestablished/inexperienced 'smith.

Thats reality for you, value is a perecieved notion, and does vary by location, particularly global.

At the end of the day mutual satisfaction between client and maker is the objective of the exercise.

Selling yourself short by trying to entice people in with a low price is a precarious road, it's difficult enough to quote an economically viable price for the experienced, let alone the unestablished/inexperienced 'smith.

I've also heard it said that some people believe that the higher the price the higher the quality and therefore, by selling cheap you are enticing the "wrong" side of the market. The side that tries to low ball you and wants to save a buck more than buy high quality.

Personally, I think you set a fair price for your work. Assign an hourly rate for your shop and the piece costs what it costs. Obviously, when quoting a job you could underestimate, and you have to take a hit, but, thats all part of it.

Now, I'm not out to make a fortune, and I have a pretty low cost of living, I'm happy just to be surviving. So, I might charge less than the quality demands... I guess it just has to fluctuate with the economy. As someone else here has said, this trade is based on a disposable income. The less of that there is, the harder its going to be to sell.