I Forge Iron

Rasp Hawk- First Try

My Dad (in his late sixties now) asked me to make him a throwing hawk sometime. We used to throw some he fabbed from pipe and sheet stock back when I was a 10 year old, 30 years ago now. He and I watched Ryan Johnson, of RMJ Tactical,forge a wrapped rasp hawk out at the SOFA conference a couple of years ago, and I think he's wanted a forged one ever since. I had picked up a couple of old rasps at a conference not long ago, so I purchased a tomahawk drift and handle and gave it a go. Here's the result.

post-542-0-32010400-1309409271_thumb.jpgpost-542-0-35314800-1309409281_thumb.jpgpost-542-0-97891500-1309409293_thumb.jpgpost-542-0-91883200-1309409303_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it for my first one. By far the biggest forge weld I've ever done. My homemade propane forge did alright but I had to let it soak for awhile to get up to welding temp. I guess doors would help. We'll see how it holds up if he ever throws it...

All critiques and comments are welcome.

P.S.: Many thanks to all of you who have posted hawks in the past. Your projects were/are inspirational.

-Derek

I've got a piece of an old rasp sitting around. After I grind off some of the file teeth and check out the integrity to make sure it wouldn't fail on me, I was going to make a big knife or dirk out of it. Maybe I'll try a hawk or axe instead. You've inspired me, sir!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the great comments! I haven't been to the thread for awhile, so I appologize for not answering the questions more quickly.

Iron Striker: I purchased the drift from Blacksmiths Depot after reading reccomendations here. I picked up the drift and a couple of handles at the same time. It's a standard size and is of good quality. I thought about making one, but having no desire to make my own handles right now, I thought keeping to the standard stuff was a good idea. It was around $25 bucks plus shipping and was money well spent.

Freeman: I didn't have much trouble with the weld, which was surprising because I havn't done a lot of forge welding, and never a weld this large. I just made sure the surfaces were good and clean, used borax flux, and gave it a nice long (be patient) soak in my propane forge. Quick light taps on the edge working toward the fold and all was good. I did do a second weld working further back toward the fold, but it didn't need much. I used A LOT of flux because I was wary. Probably didn't need quite so much.

I intend to do a few more of these, but forge time has been rather elusive as of late. I also want to try a slit and drift hawk sometime. I'll get back to it soon I hope.

Thanks again for the comments! The rasp hawks are a whole bunch of fun to make and btw, any peice of strap of sufficient size will work for this fold over technique. It doesn't have to be a rasp.

-Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Herchammer, Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure about the age. I picked it up at Quad State last year and don't really know that much about the rasps themselves. If I had to guess, I'd say it was only a couple years old if that. It had red paint on the tang like a lot of them I see around and very little rust.

I just picked up 6 more rasps for $5 at Quad State over the weekend. Time to get in the forge.

-Derek