I Forge Iron

questions about web host

Hello folks!

I'm looking at branch off of the www.custerfamilyfarm.com website that we have. It is set up as an old HTML system and we have no knowledge about how to alter the web content. I would like to add a custom work portfolio but we do not know how to add a page. I would like to update my "about me" page but we can't figure out how to. The whole website is a leaking ship that is only kept afloat because the pumps work. From the outside it's ok but the inside has a lot of water damage! Savvey?

So I'm wondering who do you use as a web-host for your website? I would like to switch over from the old HTML system to the new CMS system but at the same time I don't want to purchase a CMS template and get ripped off by a scam.

I'm looking at this place right now!
HOSTMONSTER

Looks legit.....anyone have any experience with them?

I have a free site on weebly that I like well enough. It's easy to create a page (drag and drop templates for text, pictures and selling) and I think if you already have a domain you can host and build pages for it on weebly. They also have a pay version with more bells and whistles. I don't know much about the other sites.

http://www.weebly.com/

ron

I must have missed something, HTML is going out ? hmmm my host is great but I program, not sure how they are with having to build and maintain it for you. I refuse to use the wysiwyg editors, for a non programmer they get a nice looking page, but forget SEO with them, ranking with any of the engines is gone with all the added code needed to use those editors.. I use a simple word processor.

http://www.adwh.com/
American Discount Web Hosting, based in Texas.
Dawn the owner knows me, she is a sweet lady. Call her and ask

After using a local provider for years I went with http://www.inmotionhosting.com/ Saved a lot of money, no problems after 2 years and have a lot of tracking of where hits are coming from that I didn't have before. I (actually my wife) use front page to do our page http://mtforge.com/ There was a thread on what people are using to build their web page. search for Website design

I use ixwebhosting.com for my own website and others that I manage. I use Adobe Dreamweaver for the design and editing software. After several years, I've never had a problem with the web hosting. Right now they are cheaper than the one FF listed. If you're interested in some help setting up or fixing your website, pm me. ixwebhosting

So I'm wondering who do you use as a web-host for your website? I would like to switch over from the old HTML system to the new CMS system but at the same time I don't want to purchase a CMS template and get ripped off by a scam.

I'm looking at this place right now!
HOSTMONSTER

Looks legit.....anyone have any experience with them?

Full disclosure: I'm a professional web developer and a contributing developer to the Drupal CMS project. If asked to handle the design aspects of building a website I'll hand you something that looks like the box the server shipped in.

First off let me say that switching to a CMS system should greatly simplify simple tasks like adding and editing pages so you're on the right track there.

If you're shopping for a new web host pretty much all of the commodity web hosts (Dreamhost, Godaddy, etc) are a dime a dozen. Their service offerings are typically close enough to be identical. Personally I've had pretty good experiences with Dreamhost provided the site isn't generating huge levels of traffic.

If you're looking to get set up and productive in a hurry I'd suggest taking a look at WordPress's capabilities. Of the available free CMS's it's arguably the simplest to use. If you think your needs might be too complex for WordPress to handle Drupal is always an excellent option, although with great power comes great complexity.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help answer.

I started out with network-solutions and they are hard to negotiate. Not being a web guy I need SIMPLE. Then I went to Bluehost, they are an inexpensive no frills host. Now I am currently with shopify, they a have a complicated storefront that allows for all kinds of data mining. I am in the process of redesigning my site and will be hosting with inmotion.

I am not a techie so I need the assistance of web people to help me put it all together. They all seem to have a preference. I think its kinda like the one they start with is the one they recommend. Most host also have a referral program.

If I were choosing a new host I would see how easy they are to deal with at the time I work on the site, do they have tech support if I work on my site at night... that sort of thing. Then, how easy is it to point domain names to your site. Network solution is a hard one for this, or it was last year. I would also consider registering the domain name with my host.

Rambling a little but I hope it helps.... :)

Speaking as someone who had a friend set up a sight on his friend's server seven years ago I can say that if you do not have control over your site then you are not going to be happy.
My site was up and running and somewhat less than I wanted and sat just like that for six years. I have no interest in learning HTML...bought the "Websites for Dummies" and it was beyond my interest level...not beyond my abilities, but at some point you have to sit back and say "am I going to put the time in to learn this or not"...for me it was ...NOT.

So..I looked into website programs..the bloated code,poor user interfaces and expensive buy-in...no real joys there either. The free ones which you get with some services are fine for small things and then you are stuck with them.

Now if you are computer savvy then it maters little as you can do what you wish, but for me I want simple and simple means the someone else either does the work for me (did not pan out the last time I tried) or I locate a program that does.

I was not happy with the millennium edition on my gateway computer and when that finally drove me over the edge I got an Imac and sad to say I have "done drunk the coolaid" and will stay with this system. Is it all it should be and cheap...nope...and neither am I for than matter.

A friend told me about IPower for an internet host and I have been with then for over a year now and thus far,other than an issue setting it all up, I have been pleased...they don't bother me and I don't bother them.

I use IWeb to make the website and keep it updated. Just recently I switched templates and altered it a bit to fit what I wanted to do (took three hours to change all the pages)..it is not unique or stylish by computer tech standards, but I can alter almost anything on it (color,texture,text,photos,links, add pages etc) in minutes and most web browsers can look at it just fine.

I suggest you have a look at both IPower and the IWeb in Apple. It is not cheap and there is a learning curve when going from PC, but all in all I am OK with the change.

I use IMovie for the Youtube things I have and with some "one-on-one" a the Apple Store I was able to do some simple things with a weekend of playing with the program.

It may not be the best choice for you, but I feel.... given the options available.... it was the best choice for me.

Ric

I use One & One they provide everything depending on what you want is what you spend. It's simple that's the main reason.

This is correct everywhere.A spent over 6 months of training Fotoshop , Corel, Dreamweaver, Fireworks.A had made my 2 websites , spend a little money google adwords and yandex ( 100-150 usd) ,all the work comes from the website. Work for 5-6 months advance.
www.art-metall.ru (2 days serious problems with hosting).
And website in Russian http://кованаялюстра.рф