I Forge Iron

Safety Glasses whats Good ?

I need Safety Glasses
I want Bouton 5900 series, a clear pair & a pair of the green filter lenses.
I went to the Anvil fire store but nothing seems to work also looked on the net.
All I have found were furity lookin Glasses :cool: .
Any one know where I can get some real Safety Glasses
Ron

Welding supply store. You can try them on and see what fits best to your face. They have many different styles and as Ten said some are made in different shades and designed for some welding applications.

Just don't try arc welding in safety glasses as arc burn is not good on the face.

Well when I went in to get my regular glasses I asked for Safety ones---turned out cheaper than "designer frames" and they ended up looking just like what I had been wearing---except for the "S" in the corners and the removable side shields. Now I can't go into the shop without safety glasses on! (Can't walk through the house even---bad nearsightedness...)

Thomas

I finally got a hold of Jock and ordered the 3 pair special
1 green 2 clear
Whats with all the Buck Rogers saftey glasses ?
Things have really changed in the past 20 years.

This is what REAL safety glasses look like
Just like Grandads
Ron

green_no2_2r.jpg
Bouton 5907 series wire side shield safety glasses

5907 Series safety spectacles meet ANSI Z87.1-1989 and are recommended for work requiring impact resistance and side protection from flying debris.

Patented U-Fit temples
Dual replaceable lenses
Universal Bridge
Long-lasting heavy duty metal hinges
Blocks 100% U.V.
Non-fogging wire side shields
Meets ANSI, CSA, and UL Standard

These have been the guru's safety glasses of choice for over 25 years. The snug fitting side shields not only protect but give one a sense of security.

#2 Green Filter Lenses are recommended for flash glasses, foundry work and small forging.

For those looking for eye protection while forge welding or working at a gas forge these are the best possible selection. They are dark enough to protect and not so dark as to make it difficult to work.

ANSI Z87.1 recommends #3 shades (darker than the above) for brazing and light welding with a torch.

Make sure that any eye protection you buy, safety glasses, face shields etc are marked to indicate that they comply with the appropriate ANSI standard such as ANSI Z-87 for impact resistance and if you are wearing shaded lenses for protection from light radiation (Ultraviolet or Infrared) make sure they are rated for that as well and are not merely "sun glasses". The most expensive eye protection you can buy is still much cheaper than the cost of pain and inconvenience of having a piece of steel removed from your eyeball. Also remember that safety glasses protect you from straight on impact of foreign particles, but things can still come up under the glasses and hit your eye.

Woody

I just spoke with a safety glasses mfg and they suggested a #3 IR lens for light cutting and torch brazing, and a #5 lens for heavy cutting and gas welding. This is from the ANSI standard.

Those lenses marked IR should provide full infrared protection. The shade of the lens is chosen for the lighting conditions at the work location, or for the work involved. As blacksmiths, we need to see to move about and may require a lighter shade than someone that is at a cutting table all day.

They suggested the safety glasses AND full face protection (shield, hood, etc) if the job was such that the protection was needed. Safety glasses alone do not provide face protection.

There are many different styles of IR safety glasses available, from the old round type goggle, to the wrap-a-round "sunglasses style" popular today, and many more styles to choose form. Each style may be made in several different shades. Usually a welding supply store will have several different choices in stock, or at least the 3 welding supply stores I visited had them. You can usually try them on for fit and see through them in order to choose the shade you need for your application.

The safety glasses and full face shields are both inexpensive items to purchase. There are many folks that can relate stories as to why they should be worn. Bottom line is to use the glasses to protect your eyes. They don't work if they are in your pocket waiting for the "right" time to put them on.

Now if they would just make shaded prescription safety glasses at a reasonable price....oh well....guess I'll keep using the clear fit-over safety glasses and a tinted face shield when needed (that is three layers of protection after all;) )
-Aaron

I vaguely recall there are stickable shades for prescription's that are available, I believe it was the shades that stick to the front of your prescription glasses, so that when you change glasses or they get scuffed you can replace them easily. I've read about it about 6 months ago. I'll try to look them up again and see what I can find.