I Forge Iron

Mike gets it...

A lack of skilled welders? I have been right here and no one called me for that job. I did get a call from a fab shop that needs a structural welder, start on Mon, yes there is a need for skilled workers

Up here there is a real shortage for skilled welders... A good tig welder with a pile of certs can make $80k a year to start

......Back in the mid 60's when I was 16-18 I remember when asked by my folks what I wanted to do....I replied something like I'd like to look into the trades as a vocation........They looked at me like I was crazy and if I was going to amount to anything of value I would go to college an be a lawyer, doctor, engineer and such. It didn't go over too well with me and I went ahead and did my own thing anyway and I don't regret it.
My son Dave a few years back in high school wanted to take welding class..........He was doing great in it, all A's. I asked him one day how the class was going and he replied, oh you only get to do welding one semester per year!............When I spoke to his counselor and stated that one semester per year wasn't enough time to learn welding she said: ''apparently you don't like the way we do things around here''...........That was an understatement..........mb

My father is 83 this yr, he has always told me we will run out of skilled workers or "ditch diggers" as he called them. My dad was a drywall taper for almost 40 yrs., I myself am a Journeyman welder. Working with your hands even in trades requires you to think just like a "professional". The difference is we wear coveralls and a hard had, not a suit and tie. As to $80K, just being a regular welder up here you can make that, and B pressure or specialty welding you can go way higher.

Nothing gets done in this world without skilled labor.

I agree one hundred percent. I would love to have a right out of high school kid that wanted to learn all about welding fabrication and blacksmithing work. Problem is most of them have no motivation to learn anything outside of the computer stuff. I am only 28 and can see a huge change in the drive of kids comming out of school now as compared to when I graduated high school in 2000. **** I got 8 hours of work in while I was still in high school. 4 before school and 4 after (we have a dairy farm) Let me tell you that made you want to figure out a way that you could work a job or have a buisness that didnt require that you get up at 330 every morning...and I do mean every morning....

that was a interesting clip ... Ive known for years that skilled labor was going away . Its not pc to make things anymore and hasnt been for a wile... its not likely to change much ..and education is headed the other direction ...so we end up with kids in theyre 20s that cant even figure where the oil goes in a car and cant afford to pay someone to put it in for them...

Thanks for posting.

When I was in high school they had vocational classes. Industrial Ed and others. Even though they still taught that, the idea was that if you couldn't hack college or weren't cut out for some other white collar job then you had to "settle" for a trade. I can still remember being told as we rode past someone digging in a ditch, "If you don't want to wind up like that, you had better study hard and go to college."

There was a negative stigma associated with manual labor. Today it is even worse. Mr Rowe hit it right on the head.

So, to not disappoint the family, I joined the Coast Guard. Ha, I showed them. They always asked me when I was going to come back home, go to college and get a "Good" job. Well 20 years later I retired from the CG and finally got a good jod, with the DOT as one of those guys that my family said I'd wind up as if I didn't get a higher education. Ha! Showed them again. Now I'm an inspector/surveyor with the DOT.

I am so blessed to have not done the education route and ended up as a rat in a cubical. Those people are great because they keep me from having to do it.

Mark<><

Those same people who tell you not to get dirty are the ones shipping all those dirty jobs overseas. People are still getting dirty doing them it`s just a different set of people doing it,which apparently is OK as long as they don`t have to see those folks getting dirty.

Many of those same people who don`t want themselves (or apparently anyone else here in this country) to get dirty will also tell you getting dirty is dangerous and can get you hurt while doing it. Big surprise! Now getting hurt is painful and pain is to be avoided at all costs. Injuries lead to doctor visits and prescription drugs and scars as well as other bad and unsightly things. Can`t have scars or a limp and still play with the rest of the "beautiful people".
Then the day comes that they`re away from the city out in the "wilds" and their toy( their yacht,SUV, or other high dollar purchase) breaks down and they have to come see one of us because there is no dealer to do warranty work this far off the beaten path,and this is where the "real,unspoiled America" is. In about an hour they get more of an education in resourcefulness and adaptablity than they ever thought possible in a year."That old guy fixed my(fill in the blank) with just a piece of scrap metal and a coal fire,right there and then with no special tools or waiting for parts to be shipped in. He sharpened my and my son`s pocket knives while we waited for things to cool too".
The irony is that even though their sons and daughters are far more interested in texting their friends back home to absorb what just happened their white collar moms and dads have an eye opening and life changing experience and suddenly "Want to be more engaged with the world".
Now they are seeking ways to learn what those heavily scarred rough old guys know. Just last Wednesday I did a 2 hour TALK in front of 20 of these people in their 40s-60s and pocketed $175 per hour for my time(would have been $250 per hour but the promoter took his cut). I now have 2 other "promoters" who have contacted me and want me to give the same talk at their venue as well as a couple of "Art co-operatives" that want me to throw together some outlines for workshops where I can walk people thru how to make their own stuff while they get sweaty and dirty and pay in excess of $1000 each per week( ten+ "students" per class) for the chance to "Learn the nuances of working with your hands in scenic coastal Maine".
All this from an old broke down blacksmith who thought he couldn`t make a living swingin a hammer anymore. Well,I may not be able to swing the hammer all day long but I can still show others how to do it.
The wheel turns and guess what it brings to the top,DIRT!
Who would have thought.

I do have a college education and made more money owning my own construction company. One man shop at first then in 2007 when everything fell apart I was employing 12 good hard working carpenters, painters and drywallers. We had a good crew and made good money. Then the bottom fell out and I had to close everything. However during that time I was making more than I could in my "chosen" career field. Nothing wrong with working by the sweat of your brow. In fact I think those of us who do are better off. Of course my knees don't agree with me. :o

I agree with the people that have pointed out that workers are being paid worse is the big cause of the problem. Unfortunately the politicians have over and over again developed programs to propagandize that the jobs are desirable instead of encouraging employers to pay a living wage and improve working conditions.

At least slave owners had to provide food, a place to live, some sort of clothing, and keep the workers healthy enough to work. Modern employers, when given the chance, don't even provide enough compensation for that.

The businesses around here whine that there are not enough trained workers but will not hire anyone over 20-something because their health care costs more and they want more money. The solution, train more young people then replace them when they approach middle-age with kids fresh out of school that cost less. Years ago I used to receive the management journals, one month an article explained in detail that to make a profit companies should get rid of all the older workers. The following month the main article explained how to legally, but not ethically, get rid of all the older workers.

As for the presentation before congress, I don't think that Mike gets it. Propaganda will not make those jobs more desirable, only change in salary and working conditions will make those jobs more desirable.

I know this will be taken the wrong way but this is based on my observations of how the world seems to work. its something I never really understood, Is why would you look to your employer to to take care of all of your monetary needs. They are in business to make money not provide you with a lifestyle that you feel that you are entitled to. Ultimately the business or institution will look out for its own needs first not yours. If you have real solid skills and make them money its to their advantage to pay you well and take care of you but business conditions change and people change as well. I always wondered why people felt more secure working for other people when that company could turn around on any given day and lay you off of fire you. This is why we have unemployment insurance but that's not real security.

I have worked for my self since I was 25 and I have been a blacksmith in one form or another since I was 19 I'm now 37. I weathered this recession (almost gave up But what else would I do I have never really done anything else but forging and fab work). There were times I had to sell some of my stuff, work 70 hour weeks, work for nothing, pay my guys out of my own pocket, I once went with out pay for 3 months. But I know I will always have work because I know how to make and fix stuff. I have tools and I know how to do a deal. I have absolute confidence I will find a way to feed my self and pay my bills as long as I can get out of bed in the morning. I have medical ins, I own a home and I have a meager but growning retirement account and a boat load of tools that have real value. I did get an educational and I'm glad I did. But I never looked to my degree as a means to get employment or financial security. I viewed it as a means to open my mind and better understand the world. I was never a great student, I was sort of a slacker and I'm dyslexic. Though by my last year of school I was on the deans list. I can walk on to a job and sound intelligent read a contract and understand the fine print. I understand history, anthropology, science, and current events. I love art and read frequently and try to learn new things every day but I work with my hands.

I know this will be taken the wrong way but this is based on my observations of how the world seems to work. its something I never really understood, Is why would you look to your employer to to take care of all of your monetary needs. They are in business to make money not provide you with a lifestyle that you feel that you are entitled to. Ultimately the business or institution will look out for its own needs first not yours. If you have real solid skills and make them money its to their advantage to pay you well and take care of you but business conditions change and people change as well. I always wondered why people felt more secure working for other people when that company could turn around on any given day and lay you off of fire you. This is why we have unemployment insurance but that's not real security.

SNIP

If your employer isn't meeting your monetary NEEDS then you shouldn't be working for that employer. Or you are living beyond your means (which happens a lot today). I don't look for a hand-out. I expect a living wage for an honest days work. I don't expect to be asked to work myself to death for pay that doesn't cover basic living expenses while the boss gets rich - but that is what a lot of local employers expect. And part of that is people who are willing to accept cash under the table or live 6 or 8 in a 1 bedroom studio apartment and thus depress wages.
The problem as I see it is business are looking only at the bottom line. Not how to stay viable or keep the local economy strong (and without a strong economy almost no business is viable), just profits for the next quarter. They often aren't concerned with keeping skilled employees at a higher wage when they can get some kid who doesn't know the job for minimum wage (short term profitability).
Some people don't have a mind for business and are more secure working for someone else.

At least that is the way I see it.

ron

Thanks Larry. Mike Rowe does get it.

There are days I wish I went to trade school instead of college.

Phil

Don`t beat yourself up about it Phil.
Unless you want to live out in the toolies where the big box stores can`t make a profit you aren`t going to be able to compete with imported goods so what good does knowing a trade do for ya?
I think I see the pendulum beginning to swing back as people realize that quick money and cheap goods doesn`t maintain our economy here at home. There is far more that needs to be considered than just the bottom line.

A classmate(that`s right I still go to school and will till they plant me) recently told me it was going to cost her $600 to replace the oil pan on her new car and she was going to have to pay to rent a car till they shipped the part in. I told her to bring it by and drained the oil,drilled out the drain plug (it was leaking around it,that`s why it had to be replaced and then cleaned around the hole with solvent and then brazed a replacement into place. Half hour`s work,$35. She was elated.
She asked me why it would cost $600 to replace it at the dealer. I told her they never fix anything at a dealership,they only know how to replace parts till the problem goes away.
She gave me an extra $20 for changing her oil.Said that`s what Jiffy-lube used to charge her so it only seemed fair. :)

If your employer isn't meeting your monetary NEEDS then you shouldn't be working for that employer. Or you are living beyond your means (which happens a lot today). I don't look for a hand-out. I expect a living wage for an honest days work. I don't expect to be asked to work myself to death for pay that doesn't cover basic living expenses while the boss gets rich - but that is what a lot of local employers expect. And part of that is people who are willing to accept cash under the table or live 6 or 8 in a 1 bedroom studio apartment and thus depress wages.
The problem as I see it is business are looking only at the bottom line. Not how to stay viable or keep the local economy strong (and without a strong economy almost no business is viable), just profits for the next quarter. They often aren't concerned with keeping skilled employees at a higher wage when they can get some kid who doesn't know the job for minimum wage (short term profitability).
Some people don't have a mind for business and are more secure working for someone else.

At least that is the way I see it.

ron

Insomnia post here

As a person who looks at the books of a small business almost every day I can tell you it may look like that from the outside but this is not the case most of the times. I can't talk about wallmart or other big companies because that's a world that I don't move in and I have never looked at their books. I never shopped at a wall mart but I'm a little eccentric anyway. I agree with you if your not getting what you need or even what you want walk. But my next thought is if you cant find what you need go and make it for your self, its my natural inclination and how I was raised. But lets say you try all your options and something teen an hour is all you can find its a living wage but barely. That's all that the boss can afford to stay competitive and he needs you to bust your hump to keep the doors open or make it worth it to him or her. Also its a lot of effort to go through the trouble of having employes there are lots of rules and regulations, people get sick, have problems, there kids get sick etc. No one hands you a book when you open your door that says here is everything you need to know to have employees legally, morally and practically. You stumble along making mistakes and learning lessons. If a business is not always looking at the bottom line the owner is a poor business owner. There are constant expensis that need to be watched and keep under control. Everything from workers comp to the cost of steel, to hand soap the workers don't see this. Are last steel order was 10% higher than last time that pinched my budget I wish I could pay so and so a higher wage. I cant say I haven't had that thought more than once. I have had a lot of trouble finding skilled employees. I always felt if I could get top workers I could truly flourish but Its been very hard to find them and even harder to find the money to retain them. If only my customers were willing to pay me more.

Don`t beat yourself up about it Phil.
Unless you want to live out in the toolies where the big box stores can`t make a profit you aren`t going to be able to compete with imported goods so what good does knowing a trade do for ya?
I think I see the pendulum beginning to swing back as people realize that quick money and cheap goods doesn`t maintain our economy here at home. There is far more that needs to be considered than just the bottom line.

A classmate(that`s right I still go to school and will till they plant me) recently told me it was going to cost her $600 to replace the oil pan on her new car and she was going to have to pay to rent a car till they shipped the part in. I told her to bring it by and drained the oil,drilled out the drain plug (it was leaking around it,that`s why it had to be replaced and then cleaned around the hole with solvent and then brazed a replacement into place. Half hour`s work,$35. She was elated.
She asked me why it would cost $600 to replace it at the dealer. I told her they never fix anything at a dealership,they only know how to replace parts till the problem goes away.
She gave me an extra $20 for changing her oil.Said that`s what Jiffy-lube used to charge her so it only seemed fair. :)

You should have charged he a bit more you need to pay for that schooling right B)

You should have charged he a bit more you need to pay for that schooling right B)

Actually,you`re paying for it. I use my GI bill for schooling.
I served for 20+ years to get it so I may as well use it right? Wouldn`t want your(and my) tax dollars going to waste. :)

One of the things my parents completely missed when they were disparaging my declaration of waning to enter the trades in the mid 60's was it could lead to opening my own business. Had they said........Yeah you could have your own construction co or plumbing co after learning the ropes I would have felt more encouraged. If I had said blacksmith the would had me committed :wacko:
I think after the war (ww2 that is) we began the decline into becoming a chiefly consumer society that looked down it's nose at the tradesman. The trades now have degenerated to things like carpet cleaning, auto mechanic, installers, fixers. Nothing wrong with those, but hey don't produce anything. I consider the producers to be at the top of the food chain...........What happen when you cut off the top? The answer is all around us.......:(