I Forge Iron

Keeping Busy

joshua.M

So, i run a coal forge and have been having a hard time getting coal, I am wondering, when you are low/out of fuel (if you ever are) what kind if work do you do to keep busy. I already have cleaned my small shop, organized my tools, painted my tongs to identify them, organized my stock, cleaned the floor and done any and all repairs. What else can i do to stay busy in my shop without fuel?
Josh

As suggested before, build a 55 Forge and use scrap wood for fuel.
Pallets (free) are available behind most businesses.

Then there is a whole other world of cold working metal that you can explore. Thin-tin, brass, copper, etc.

Please attach photos of your now clean and well organized shop. I do not think I have ever seen one. (grin)

hmmm......with all this free time, borrow the family truck and pick up a load of coal, some bags and start a supply business for other smiths nearby. Not all smiths can buy large amounts or have time to get coal when needed. A business for someone young?

I have considered charcoal but the problem is i cannot make it because of a burn ban, and it is $15/4kg and 1 bag lasts me an hour $$$$$$$$$$, i am 14 so no beer lol

kevin i have considered that, then i looked at the prices OUCH.

mark, its not the farm i need to worry about,its the school :/

glenn i will be sure to post the pics as soon as i can get them.
-Josh

Last weekend saw a guy forging with a gas forge made out of one soft firebrick and a torch attached to a hand held propane bottle
He hollowed out the brick for a chanber
He was forging knives not large things.
seen quite a few bean can forges over the years for forging small stuff.
You could do brazeal type heads easily in one.

I've used a 1 soft firebrick propane forge when I was restricted from other forges due to weather conditions. (Ohio mid winter, I could use the little one in the basement!)

I made nails for my toolbox---40 required (Mastermyr) I hot forged silver from one oz ingots into jewelry, forged copper jewelry, did small blades, etc

Handy little thing! Two suggestions: 1 get an adapter so your hand torch can fun off a BBQ tank---*MUCH* Cheaper than small bottles
2 make sure that the tip of the torch doesn't touch the side of your firebrick it should just be a little outside and the flame pointing into the hole---helps you not melt the brass tip of your torch.

If you go with charcoal you could always add more scrap wood to it as it burns so as to "roll your own" in process. I dislike having the wood burning in my forge so I usually have a raised firepit with a cooking fire in it and transfer hot coals as needed.

With the fire state as it is; I'd go with propane!

Where I live there is almost always the great danger of fire so when I was able to forge I used propane as much as possible. One thing was it kept the neighbors off my back about the "stink" of coal and the sparks of charcoal and wood. In the extreme dry desert there is almost always the chance of fire unless it is raining which isn't often and if it ain't raining and the wind is blowing I could burn down half the neighborhood in just a few minuets before the fire department could get here. Propane is nice and almost spark free, it is not as quiet as coal or charcoal but you can't have everything. also propane isn't affected by the "no burn" days imposed on us by the County Department of Environmental Quality. Those "no burn" days really got to a friend of mine that does lost wax casting of big bronze castings in trouble with his burnouts, way too much smoke from the burning wax, especially during the winter when we have temperature inversions, fines and the whole mess of them wanting an after burner on his oven, what an awful mess. :blink:

Well i found a place for coal, its $881 per ton or $26/70lbs and a 5 hour round trip for me, OR my grandfather foundd a 2 burner propand forge with a front and back door, for $550 I dont know what to pick because, propane is easyer to get but i have no experience with it, and i already have a coal forge and canedy otto blower so if i could get some advice on this that would be amazing
-Josh

Hi Josh.It sounds like you found Thak(Rob Martin)and if so the coal he sells will probably be the best you will ever use,I know it is for me.My friend and I have shared 2tons of it.I would still use it but the shipping is almost the price of the coal.I am lucky to have a coal mine 2hrs away:$140 a ton and $60 in gas to get it.They will load as much coal as your vehicle will handle.They loaded at least 3000lbs on my flatdeck(1 ton)and would have given me more.It is not anywhere near the quality of Thak's but it pumps the heat out and if you like big clinkers well!!!

Hi Josh.It sounds like you found Thak

it is thak, i have heard lots of good things about it, it is a 5 hr round trip for me and my dad said he will go pick it up in our ford f550 so shipping wont matter now its just the money lol
-Josh