I Forge Iron

Anyone know where to find this

I took apart and cleaned all the old muddabber nests out of an old electric motor. Somehow I lost a washer from one bell housing. It looks like the one from the other end, pictured, only smaller. I've found some spring wave washers online but none that are split into three segments. Anyone know of a source for these or what they are called?

post-231-0-35820700-1303090738_thumb.jpg

A wave ring/washer will work as long as the inside, and outside are correct dimensions. All it has to do is keep the endplay at bay.

Belleville washers are usually too stiff for this application, and don't have the right dimensions.

An electric motor shop, or possibly an appliance repair shop may have one.

Look around some more, you may still find the original one.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I did find it. And, I have no idea how it ended up where I found it!

Come on lets here the details!!! How far from your project was it?, Were did you find it? We've all done that(I am Assuming).....get side tracked and carry something from the area, set it down then later and say "I just had it here" only to find it were you set it down, or even just plain drop it from your hand and not know it, not even close to were you should have had it. - Just askin' and just sayin' - JK

Are you asking or telling?

I wasn't sure of the spelling on Belleville, sorry for confusion. Those are three names for basicly the same thing. Yours is a little more fancy with the little cut outs.
Share some details and pics of the find like Jeremy asked. :D
Rob

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow basher's,

First, the xxxx spellcheck does not have a corrrection for basher's.

The main thing is, where the heck was that thing, in the clothes washer?

Maybe in the freezer?, my dear ol' dad became famous in our family because he put the kleenex in the freezer as we were putting the groceries away.

Mind you, this only happened twice........but we could not let something so boneheaded, and hilarious go unrewarded.
From that day on we would say "did ya look in the fre...."
any time something was lost.

He did loose his keys and wallet in there at least once.

I am a year old member, I think this is my second reply, this site is so vast, that one as forgetful as myself should keep a log to know where they have been, and especially which entries they have replied to or not.

Actually, I think I may have stumbled on a fine idea for a helpful tool for any forum; a button that would show in some concise, easy, manner which parts of a forum one has been in and/or replied to.

The date, topic, number of replies, and other data could be found, regardless of a poor memory.

This would also remove the need to search a sometimes sizable portion of the entire forum.

This person would initiate this function where and when wanted only, a remember box, to put a check-mark into.
The name for this is a finger spring washer, at least this is what I've seen them called, I have seen them in most local hardware stores, in the section within "hardware" where the expensive pullout multi bin drawers are.
Each box has a dozen or so sizes of these standard parts in a variety of most needed types.

This is the place for all those nasty little parts that hold the entire world together, you know the ones...that go flying, rolling, etc. and without them there is no reasonable and lasting way to make anything else do that vital job.

For some reason these parts are the ones that make the most seasoned, and careful craftsmen among us, become shaky Freddie Fumbles!

A special size- a brass one-stainless steel anyone?

Woodruff key- cotter pin- dowel pin- roll pin- any size of set screw- and our SPECIAL SPRING WASHER....I must mention; some motors will not like too much or too little umph, get the right one.

For those who need to know, there is a Company in Manhattan that will Supply every kind of hardware you will ever need, usually for less than the "expensive" onezies and twozies department at your local hardware store.

Of course you will need to pay shipping, but armed with their catalog I know you can wisely spend enough to stock your shop with goodies that you always wanted anyhow, and get the free shipping in the offing.

Yours in building something fine, Michael Visser

"The sky is no limit for me."

Hello fellow basher's,

I am a year old member, I think this is my second reply, this site is so vast, that one as forgetful as myself should keep a log to know where they have been, and especially which entries they have replied to or not.

Actually, I think I may have stumbled on a fine idea for a helpful tool for any forum; a button that would show in some concise, easy, manner which parts of a forum one has been in and/or replied to.

The date, topic, number of replies, and other data could be found, regardless of a poor memory.

This would also remove the need to search a sometimes sizable portion of the entire forum.

This person would initiate this function where and when wanted only, a remember box, to put a check-mark into.

Actually, there once was something along this line...IIRC once you logged in any topic you had replied to was highlighted and visible only to you. Can't remember exactly how it was HL but you knew you had a comment on that particular topic. And then came the "new & improved" format, then another. Some things were sacrificed in order to have other bells and whistles. It's the way all improvements go..

• 3 months later...

Over the past 40 years, many, many "treasure hunts" for strayed parts, has made me exceedingly "anal" about keeping the little bits and pieces under control.

I find that the clear, plastic Peanut butter jars are very useful.

They don't break, ... they have a wide mouth, ... you can see what's inside, ... and they're free. :D

Needless to say, there are probably 50 of them scattered around the shop. :D