I Forge Iron

New to the world of Blacksmith

for years i have been daydreaming of being a blacksmith. but it was only in the last year that i really started to try.
So i am new to all things Blacksmith and am looking for a way to make my first steps to my goal of working with a forge and hammer.
and when i mean new i mean new.

i dont have anything, not even a hammer.

Do you have lots of money? If the answer is Yes, the tools you are going to need are available, and can be had with a few clicks, Also, there are many fine schools that can make you a learned blacksmith beginner. Absolutely NONE of the above was in place when I got my first anvil (1971). The only school was the hard knocks variety. I did not even know where to get coal! What i'm saying is, the opportunies exists, and there are lots of resources available to you, If you do not have lots of money, it will just take longer. Wish Upon A Star! Welcome to your new obsession, and keep on posting progress reports.

Please put your general location in your profile so it shows with your posts---I could spend an hour or two writing out where to find equipment in Ohio or New Mexico; but if you were in Australia it would just have been a waste of time for me and you!

I once put together a complete beginner's kit for under US$25 just to show it could be done---the "fanciest" tool used was a 1/4" electric drill too. OTOH you could spend $20K getting a perfect shop equippend all from the internet.

I'm much more a visit the fleamarkets/junk stores/yardsales type of guy---as such I like "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" as a starter book as the author is a scrounge it, modify it, make it type of guy.

When I started I made my propane forge from Ron rail's web site. Bought an anvil from harbor freight and I had all I needed to get started. I used a ball pien hammer that I already had and a pair of pliers to hold the work. I soon realized tongs were in order so I got some on eBay. I guess my point is start small, find a local club to helpout, and then you can decide how far you want to go. But be careful you will get hooked!

I feel the Brothers of Blacksmithing have given you some good direction.
I would like to add my $0.02c worth also.

I think you will find that the general attitude of the people who are active on this web site want you to succeed as well I do!
I Forge Iron has enough information available to help you get from a question to an answer quickly.
It is all about investment. If you are willing to invest your TIME, ENERGY, and MONEY into studying, and then learn how this sight works, you will be rewarded with the knowledge you seek.
I feel that a lot of the “I Forge Iron” site users do not know how to access all the information that is available on this web site.

One area would be how to get into the Archives. Once you learn how to gain access to the archives and see what is available, you will be pleased that you took the time and effort to do so!

Here is a sample of topics that would help you:
#1. Lessons in Blacksmithing Advice and Acquisition http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/lessons-in-blacksmithing/lessons-in-blacksmithing-advice-and-acquisition-r118

#2. Lessons in Blacksmithing Mistakes that beginners make http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/lessons-in-blacksmithing/lessons-in-blacksmithing-mistakes-that-beginner-r119

Hook up to some hands-on help!
If you are able to find a (SKILLED) blacksmith anywhere near you, it would be a great saving of cost for time and money in the long run!
Also try to find a blacksmithing organization to hook up with.

Washington: Here is one that may work for you.
North West Blacksmiths Association - NWBA
Whatever you do, make SAFETY “YOUR” FIRST PRIORITY as you learn your skills!

I wish you the very best!
Ted Throckmorton

Hey Mutt! Welcome to IFI!

Don't let the thought of this being a crazy expensive hobby scare you. It will only be a crazy expensive hobby if you make it one. I am on a serious budget and slowly get what I need. Many items, like Thomas said, can be had at local flea markets and yardsales if you are patient. Tools I need and can't find, I either do without, make one or modify one. Thats part of the alure to me. Make what I need.

This hobby can become a habit as it has with me. It's an obsession and addiction that I never want to quit. Enjoy the ride and learn all you can.

Mark<><

Guest baddog

When Foaming Mug and I started we built a coal forge with parts lying around and $60 worth of black iron. A couple $6 hammers, $175 for an anvil and a bag of coal. Still using the hand made forge, hammers and anvil. Went to one free demo ($100 in gas) and another demo (probably $350 between 2 of us) and we are making stuff we are proud of and that our friends and family love. Yes you can spend a ton of money fast, but also you can learn on a budget.

Go to the pages tab top of the forum. Click on pages tab, then pages again on the right hand column.

BP0133 will show you how to build a bottom blast forge,
BP0238 will show you how to build a side blast forge.
You will have maybe $20 invested if you build both.

Look for something 75 to 100 pounds in mass to beat on, and a hammer of some sort to beat with. Add fire.
Metal is everywhere, alleys, dumpsters, etc. You just need something to get hot and bend, and it does not have to cost a lot or be new.

Do not think you have to have a 20, 30, or 50 year collection of tools to get started. As a blacksmith you can build most everything you need and in 20 years you will have your own collection of tools.

Classes are good as you will see and learn many things. Take lots of notes and photographs so you can take the ideas home and build them in your forge.