I Forge Iron

first speed build knife

Golden_eagle

'The Pig'
speed built over a week currently 10 hours work, (as compared to the 48 hours I have in the little-skinner-O-doom)
on monday:
0328112059.jpg

on tuesday:
0329111627.jpg

I don't have any pictures of her for Wednsday though... and it looks like she'll be done this friday.

I'm thinking rubber scales or a resin wood like rosewood or purple hart wood.

Uhh it looks a bit "clunky" to me; but it could just be it's current state. Are you going to put a distal taper into it and run the edge grind up a lot higher?

Of course I'm used to medieval blades that often were quite slim and elegant compared to many "modern" ones.

nope. I like the big thick blade, and the starting Idea was to make a Becker BK2- but bigger, meaner and wider. the name 'The Pig' came from her intended use, killing wild boar that are just disabled or not quite dead, then reducing them to their component parts for transport to the freezer.
I gave her a convex grind that comes about .80 inches up the blade and dug out my emery leather. she'll see the fields late spring when I go out to do some culling.

Correction: she's 5160, not 6150.

all my other blade projects are forged, and have a ton of time in them, and I've actually never finished one. and I wanted a good work knife for the cull this year as my elcheapo blades wont stand up to the level of abuse that they'd need to for this use (prying apart joints in 400 pound wild pigs) so I decided that I'd make a good, heavy work knife in a week, now, at the end I have about 15 hours work time in it. and she'll take anything I can throw at her.

I'm actually in the process of designing a similar blade set optimized for ease and speed of construction, same steel, same Idea, similar- if slightly simplified design, (eg- larger or no index finger spur, circular pommel, a taller saber grind(I might use a mill and then just clean it up with the belt grinder....), longer handle, Ect.) due to the huge amount of people I know who said "I want one" or "I'll pay you $150 for it." My goal is to get my time down to 10 hours or less a blade; and judging by how long the grinding took me, replacing the convex with a thick saber and using a mill will put me cleanly at 7.5 hours a blade, putting the price point at a comfortable $125 per blade after material costs.

$20/hr for a custom blade? Seems like you are not counting overhead like equipment usage, consumables, lights, heat, and such. What are you using to grind the blade? Are you starting with hardened steel instead of needing to heat treat?

The scales suit the blade. Nice job.

Phil

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
$20/hr for a custom blade? Seems like you are not counting overhead like equipment usage, consumables, lights, heat, and such. What are you using to grind the blade? Are you starting with hardened steel instead of needing to heat treat? The scales suit the blade. Nice job. Phil

The knife I'm making for a friend of mine I will be making $1.50 an hour :) lol I'm slow lol