I Forge Iron

Potential first anvil

Hey all! Been a lurker for awhile here, and have really enjoyed the discussions and advice given through out the site. So, I need some advice. I am looking to buy my first anvil, used of course. The fellow has sent me a few pictures of it, and it looks pretty good. 150#, 1" hardy hole, 14" high, 4.5" face. Very little wear. But, I wanted to get experienced opinions on the anvil, since I will have to travel about 150 miles to retrieve it. Thanks for your attention, and happy forging!

post-14914-0-77047900-1300500009_thumb.j

post-14914-0-38003300-1300500099_thumb.j

It looks like it would be a decent anvil if you can get it for a good price. I'm thinking its a farriers anvil by the shape of the horn, could be wrong though. Whats he asking for it?

Asking price is $175, so about $1.17/#. The price is great, and it looks good to my eyes, but I guess I'm just being cautious as I'm a newbie.

Also take a straight edge and run from horn to heel, and across to see how much the face has been pounded down. Sometimes this can get you a few bucks off the price!! Did it with the first anvil I bought and got about a third off the asking price. Then took it home and with the help of my trusty angle grinder, elbow grease and time, got it pretty good!!

RH caution is a good thing.

I have seen far worse anvils asking for more than double that.

If the face is reasonably straight and it doesn't have any delaminations, then $175 is a stellar price and you should jump on it before someone else does.

If you are just planning to do smithing as a hobby, you may never need to buy another anvil again. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Sam

The edges are worn down some, but that is an easy fix, I would not worry about any sway, although you may be able to convince the seller to knock of a few bucks it is noticeable when you put a straight edge on it, take a two foot square and lay it across the face. Do not use a grinder to true it up, as the face may already be thin and grinding on it will make it thinner. having a sway in your anvil can be useful for straightening, you really do not forge with a piece of iron laying all the way down the face of your anvil (parallel) you forge with the piece at 90 degrees to the anvil orientation, using the edges more than the face in most cases, so edges are more important than flatness, sharp edges are quite useful.
If that anvil were out here in CA the asking price would be 3 to 4 times that price, and these guys do not bargain on their prices not even 5 bucks on a $500 item

"Asking price is $175, so about $1.17/#. The price is great"

I'm referencing the above quote because I'm also looking for a "first anvil". I happened to have looked at one today of similar size to the one in this thread, but in considerably worse condition. While the surfaces were basically flat, there was a lot of rusting and pitting. It would take a lot of grinding to get this in shape.

$375.00 was the asking price. I thought that a bit stiff so I passed. But, I really have no guideline for pricing one of these. I've heard "buck 'a pound", but.....

Is there a pricing standard for used anvils..... even those out of someone's backyard shed?

I would say to get it, IF it is in your price range, and you are happy with it. Figure the cost of driving 300 miles into the price. One that small will fit in a car trunk, if your truck gets crappy fuel mileage. My Dad, and I brought home a 306# Sodefors with stand in the trunk of my folks Cadillac from a machine shop auction. That one cost me $200 IIRC. The edges can be dressed some to smooth them up, and a radius on the edge can come in handy, as not all corners need to be sharp.

Check rebound, and listen for a dead hit that might indicate a crack, or delamination. Tap all over the table, as well as the horn. Depending on how attached the seller is to the anvil he may cut you a better price considering how far you had to drive, and how many other calls he has had on it. I ask if they have gotten a lot of interest, sometimes they say tons, sometimes they tell me that I am the only one so far. I have also found that chatting with the seller some, and letting him know that you will be using this anvil, and not collecting, reselling, etc will help in negotiations. Even if he doesn't come down any that price is good. Take enough CA$H with you. I have been pretty lucky in that all 6 of my anvils have been purchased for around $1 a pound - 4 came out of CA, 2 here in NV.

Also ask if he has any other smithing stuff, or knows of any more in the area before you head out, you may need the truck after all.

Good luck!

I appreciate all of the input so far. I will be heading up this weekend to look over, and more than likely purchase, discussed anvil. I didn't even think to bring a straight edge along with me when I go. Hopefully, come next Monday, I'll have a new anvil, and be one step closer to banging metal!