I Forge Iron

This is a beautiful sight

I got my new anvil today! She is a beauty, all 460#'s of her. I fabbed the stand out of one inch plate, and used 3/8 wall square tube with 1/2 inch plate at the feet of the stand. I set the anvil on the stand and tapped her with a hammer, the ring was the loudest i have ever heard, almost unbearable! I put a layer of silicone caulk down before i placed her in her final resting place, i couldn't believe how much the ring dissipated! I am so excited to get out there this weekend and play. post-9924-0-13754300-1300153847_thumb.jp

post-9924-0-16482100-1300153861_thumb.jp

post-9924-0-93256200-1300153873_thumb.jp

post-9924-0-19750100-1300153886_thumb.jp

post-9924-0-94141400-1300153900_thumb.jp

Thanks everyone. Phillip, that made me laugh out loud! Clinton, yes, the one inch plate was given to me by a great guy at Gold Coast Erectors in Camarillo, ca. I did spend a little bit banging some hot iron, and it is an amazing difference. Steve Fontanini is a super nice guy, and i was literally shocked when i first got a look at this anvil in person, he does an amazing job finishing them. Mark, i too am of the opinion that these are some of the most beautiful anvils made.

Kewl Beans! Now don't wear it out in the first year! Something like what you have there is what I had in mind until I got my PW about 7 miles from my shop. That sure is one shiny beautiful anvil! Congradulations!
Robert

Congrats! I look forward to seeing the work you turn out on it.
I find that fine tools inspire me to do the best work possible and an anvil this nice would surely take my motivation up a notch or two.Knowing you it`ll do the same for you too.
Glad to see it happen for you.

Congrats! I look forward to seeing the work you turn out on it.
I find that fine tools inspire me to do the best work possible and an anvil this nice would surely take my motivation up a notch or two.Knowing you it`ll do the same for you too.
Glad to see it happen for you

Thanks Bob. That means alot coming from you.

Hwii, I don't know where they are cast, but I do know the prices are going up. What amazed me was that steve shipped this anvil on a Monday and it was at the shipping hub by Friday! That's quick considering it changed trucks twice.

Hwii, I don't know where they are cast, but I do know the prices are going up. What amazed me was that steve shipped this anvil on a Monday and it was at the shipping hub by Friday! That's quick considering it changed trucks twice.

So YOU got the last one at the old pricing :-)

Congratulations on your addition.

Thanks guys. I wish i had some time off to play. Unfortunately i am starting a new sports complex for the USC Trojans tomorrow, its gonna have an underground football field! Pretty crazy design. I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth though, i am stoked to have job security for the next eight months! Gonna have to play hard on the weekends. My wife already commented that now she will never see me at all! Thanks for all the kind words.
Brian

Thanks guys. I wish i had some time off to play. Unfortunately i am starting a new sports complex for the USC Trojans tomorrow, its gonna have an underground football field! Pretty crazy design. I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth though, i am stoked to have job security for the next eight months! Gonna have to play hard on the weekends. My wife already commented that now she will never see me at all! Thanks for all the kind words.
Brian

That sounds like a cool project Brian. Do you know of any of the design details? Is it mostly structural slab and wall work or...?

I think we are about to be awarded a large civil project for a new potash mine site. The main part of the project is foundations for 2 headframes (what will be the tallest headframes in the world)and a 1000 foot long box-tunnel. There will be about 25,000 yards of concrete placed in around 10 months. It will be a very cool project.

Well Mark, this one won't be that big, only 1500 tons of rebar. All reinforced concrete walls, slabs, and multi-strand cable reinforced transfer girders to provide clear space with no supports in the way on the football field. Will be a challenging project, i am the foreman running the steel on the job, a ton of responsibility. It doesn't help that it is Tutor Saliba who is the contractor, they aren't nice to work with.
That mine job sounds like a big one!
Brian