I Forge Iron

New Aquisition

Well I saw this and had to get it, he had a round anvil as well I just didnt have the cash to pick it up as well. I think I might after I sell my big one to keep this one. but it has 200 marked on the base all I could see but it was NOT 200 lbs 3 of us tried to get it into my truck and couldnt do it, ended up having his neighbor come down with his tractor and lift it in....UGH...but I paid 500 for it and I'd pay it again to keep it away from the collector that has been calling. It make my trucks brakes groan trying to stop....lot bigger than 200 lbs...

Paul

post-11447-0-91668700-1299288622_thumb.j

post-11447-0-00942500-1299288634_thumb.j

post-11447-0-10965900-1299288643_thumb.j

post-11447-0-99380000-1299288652_thumb.j

Well I called him back later about the round step anvil and he had someone coming to look at it today, if he doesnt take it he said he would hold it for me. If you have seen a mongolian grill before, a big around then go in an inch and then there is a second round on that. It's a pretty big piece with 2 handles on the sides to move around.

• 8 months later...

Cast Iron is 450 lbs per cuft, Wrought Iron is 485 lbs per cuft. Cast steel is at 490. I'll go with wrought for this...
7" x 13" x ( assumed 12") would be 0.91 cuft - or about 440lbs.
Now subtract out the what cut-outs ( from a true cube to the anvil shape, and this is just a guess....)
I'd still put that at 375-400lbs!

Dang, that is heavy!

not sure on your maths there.... without googleing it (from memory, always a dangerous thing!) I work on .283lbs per cubic inch for steel. so, 13x7x10" (10" assumed, it looks longer than tall) = 910 cubic inches x .283 lbs = 257 lbs

edit,.

(13x7x12" would put it at 309lbs)

nice shot. You are bang on with 0.283
so, 0.283 x 12 x 12 x 12 = 489(approx) per cu ft. - So I have that pretty close....

Hmm, wonder where my math went wacky.
13x7x10= 910
13x7x12=1092 x 0.283 = 309 lbs. Dang!

Oops, 12" in a foot, not 10!
I blame the calculator...

With the angle in the first pic, it's tough to tell the length:height ratio. But I'm going to guess it's about 16" high. Why? Because I read the pictures as about 7X13.25. If the weight is "200" then it would have to be 7" high to weigh 200lb, and that doesn't look right.

But if it's 200kg, that would be 440 lbs. Not counting the feet, 7X13.25X16 is 420 lbs.

Just a guess.

:D easily done!

I have a steel rule at work that has 1/10" of an inch on it not 1/8".... thats lead to some near oooopps moments! least said about patternmakers contraction tapes the better!!

anyhoo, the sawmakers anvil looks great. The other anvil looks like a piece of re-purposed flame cut plate with a spigot turned on it to me. Was it made to be an anvil?

:D easily done!

I have a steel rule at work that has 1/10" of an inch on it not 1/8".... thats lead to some near oooopps moments! least said about patternmakers contraction tapes the better!!....

Yep! Too many years as a land surveyor! Granted, that was almost 15years ago, but I still find my self doing that. Between that and having the wrong scale up on the triangle scale, I should just stay away from math....

"The other anvil looks like a piece of re-purposed flame cut plate with a spigot turned on it to me. Was it made to be an anvil?"

John, it is a circular saw anvil, no welds or seams or cut marks. It is a job specific anvil, came out of a saw mill south of me and lived and was used at a Saw Docs Shop till he was forced to retire.

If you really want to mess people up leave a shrink rule out for them to accidentally use. I found one at the fleamarket that was for cast iron, cast steel, cast Al and cast brass IIRC. Gave it to a friend who did foundry work as a hobby.

(and for you new folks a shrink rule is designed to help lay out patterns for sand molds as the scales are modified to take in account how much each material will shrink as it cools down from molten to ambient. So the scales read like a normal one; but they are subtly off...)

If you really want to mess people up leave a shrink rule out for them to accidentally use. I found one at the fleamarket that was for cast iron, cast steel, cast Al and cast brass IIRC. Gave it to a friend who did foundry work as a hobby. (and for you new folks a shrink rule is designed to help lay out patterns for sand molds as the scales are modified to take in account how much each material will shrink as it cools down from molten to ambient. So the scales read like a normal one; but they are subtly off...)

Actually a shrink rule is to account for the amount a casting contracts from the moment it freezes to ambient, a minor but important difference. Risers are to account for the shrinkage that takes place between pouring and freezing. I assume this rule had multiple scales on it? The reason I ask is, TYPICALLY steel is 1/4"/foot iron is 1/10" -1/8" aluminum 1/8"- 5/32" and brass is 3/16" Often shape has a big effect on the amount of shrinkage so sometimes you have to fudge these.
If you really want a case where you have to pay attention. I have worked on some big patterns that we used 3 different shrink rules for the same pattern. 1/8"/foot for the width 3/16"/foot for the length and 1/4"/foot for the height then all pads once located were made to the 1/4" rule height width or length.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually a shrink rule is to account for the amount a casting contracts from the moment it freezes to ambient, a minor but important difference. Risers are to account for the shrinkage that takes place between pouring and freezing. I assume this rule had multiple scales on it? The reason I ask is, TYPICALLY steel is 1/4"/foot iron is 1/10" -1/8" aluminum 1/8"- 5/32" and brass is 3/16" Often shape has a big effect on the amount of shrinkage so sometimes you have to fudge these.
If you really want a case where you have to pay attention. I have worked on some big patterns that we used 3 different shrink rules for the same pattern. 1/8"/foot for the width 3/16"/foot for the length and 1/4"/foot for the height then all pads once located were made to the 1/4" rule height width or length.

Oh boy, ThomasPowers got SCHOOLED!

Nice anvil, by the way!