Sign in to follow this  
divermike

Roman Pilum

Hello all,
I have been kicking around the idea of making a pilum, and with all the experience here, I figured I'm not the first, so of any you good ol boys, (or gals) have had your way with one, I'd like to pick what's left of your memory of the project, wood included. Thanks
Oh by the way, any diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

I made some of the tanged ones for a Roman Legion reenactor. This site has a lot of info on making them and why. There's also a lot of info for the Roman reenactor in general there.
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/pilum.html

Pilum: Latin for "man gig"

Cool project.

An interesting tidbit about the pilums: unlike Norse/Germanic throwing spears, a pilum was made with a relatively weak shaft, so it would deform when it hit an opponent's shield or another obstacle. This ensured that the barbarian hordes couldn't throw the spears back at the legionnaires.

also a shield with a lodged spear in it is a problem, and once you drop the shield, well then you have a problem, and once the battle is done, the blacksmith could easily pound the shaft back to semi straight for the next run in with the Gauls. I have pretty much finished the first one, and the second one is 3/4 done.

An interesting tidbit about the pilums: unlike Norse/Germanic throwing spears, a pilum was made with a relatively weak shaft, so it would deform when it hit an opponent's shield or another obstacle. This ensured that the barbarian hordes couldn't throw the spears back at the legionnaires.

Reviving an old thread, here are WIP photos of a couple of pila I'm making for a couple of priests I know, to be carried in Good Friday processions. 

They're not 100% period correct, but they're not too bad. 

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG