I Forge Iron

Supplies

Hello everybody,
Been awhile since I could do anything with blacksmithing finally in a position where I can. I have a question for everyone if you had 2000$ to spend on supplies what would you get? Ihave a good coal forge, hammers,some tongs, steel, an anvil, a press, a couple of different vices(take that anyway you want) and a few other things. What would those of you making a living at consider essential? thanks for your time

Well i don't make a living at my craft, yet. But there are still a few things that i have noticed definitely help out. One of the handiest things i have is a nice mig welder. You will be amazed by how much it helps out in the shop. Within the first 3 months of getting mine i made back more than the cost of the welder doing oddball jobs for friends and family. Not to mention it helps out with fabricating tools, repairing things and making jigs if you are making multiples of a piece. Before i got the welder i picked up an oxy acetylene setup. Its a pretty handy thing to have around for heading up the center of a long bar or cutting a thick section of steel. I don't know if you have an angle grinder or not but that is another tool that will certainly save you time and make back the cost of it within the first few projects.

Let me elaborate on what CTBlacksmith stated. I have owned a Millermatic 250 Mig welder for 12+ yrs now. Way before I started forging. Requires 240V single phase like an electric range oven in the kitchen (consult an electrician for wiring and circuit breaker size). Most homes with 200amp service will easily accommodate. With this one can easily fabricate 1/16" thick up to 1/2" thick structural steel plate in a single pass with only a medium level of skill. Sure, stick welders are a lot cheaper but the handiness of such a tool without having to chip flux is utterly incredible. Stock racks, tables, benches, forge stands, anvil stands, anvils, power hammer with dies, etc etc. I do use my welder in my blacksmith shop, and before that it was used to almost entirely "build" my blacksmith shop. It's only a hobby for me at this time but thinking about my hobby it is kind of hard to use the word "only". Regards, Spears.

look for a good chop saw, a band saw would be nice. a couple of good 4½" angle grinders (one with flap disk the other grinding disk), good drill press (floor model)with a good set of drill bits up to 1", good bench grinder...this list could go on and on but thats close to $2000