I Forge Iron

Is forging a workout

Would you consider forging all day a workout? I run track in college and over the winter break I recorded that many of my cross training workouts were days that I forged for a couple of hours. I do realize that forging does not involve your legs and your legs are the primary muscles used in track. But I consider forging an activity that raises the heart rate to a slightly elevated level, especially if the steel being forged is over an inch thick. All cross training is supposed to be is an activity other than running that raises your heart rate.

I started out using a 2lb hammer and now am using a 3lb for the daily work. I dont know about the rest of me, but my right arm sure has improved, and as for getting my heart rate up, just let me mess up on a project I've been working on for a few days and have to start over. Not only does my heart rate increase, but so does my blood pressure.

I do fairly heavy weight training 4-5 days a week. I guess I'm considered to be in decent shape. BUT, I have a fairly specific type of strength. I might bench press 275 pounds and leg press 1000 pounds, but I am totally wiped out at the end of a day of swinging a 2 1/2 pound hammer.

I'm a weekend warrior at best when it comes to smithing. The rest of the week I spend in an office behind a desk. Your body gets used to what you routinely do and, as you get older, it lets you know when you do something that is not part of it's routine.

kinda depends on what your makeing and how ... even working on a powerhammer can be a workout if your lifting 20-30 lbs of steel to put under hammer! i can tell you a day of forgeing makes me tired ! as far as a track type workout it isnt but... you do use all of your body when swinging a hammer hard (at least if your doing it right ) .

First off, Sask Mark...let's see you leg press that 1000lbs ;)

Secondly, forging is not much of a workout at all if your talking in the aspect of building mass, muscle, etc.
It is good for you to stay active and gets you working, which is great, but if someone wanted to get big arms for example by JUST forging, it wouldn't happen - whether you forged an hour a day or twenty. Arms are about the only thing that you'll be working for the majority of work.

Forging will help out your grip and eventually make it tighter though.

First off, Sask Mark...let's see you leg press that 1000lbs ;)

I have lifted 1000 pounds on the leg press machine. 11 pairs of pound plates=990 pounds + the weight of the sled. I will admit that it's not a true 1000 pounds as gravity is diluted by the angle the sled is set at. There used to be a leg press manufactured that would hold 6000 pounds of weights.

There are guys that can bench press over 700 pounds, can squat that much and guys that can dead lift more than that. I know a quite few guys that can lift way more than me, so I don't consider it that extraordinary.

I started out shoeing horses, which is more strenuous than most of my work days in the smithy. Blacksmithing can be quite aerobic and wearing if you're doing something like striking all day. You'll also feel it if you're doing heavy ironwork on, say, gates or railings. Then, teamwork is called for. If you're doing hand hammer work at the forge, you can set a pace that is comfortable for you. Doug Wilson of Maine told me one time, "I tend to think of taking a heat as an inbreath and going to the anvil as an active outbreath." He didn't mean it literally; it was a way to think about his approach to the work.

In 1981, I was teaching smithery at Haystack School in Maine, and Mary Greene, a student from another medium was an adept at tai chi chuan. Mary offered to introduce us to the short Yang form of tai chi, if we cared to meet with her before breakfast every morning. I received a two week intro at that time. I followed up later at home with other teachers, and I continue to be active with the form. It only takes 10 to 20 minutes a day, and it is helpful in leg strengthening, balance, deep breathing, and relaxation, among other things. In 1981, I was 46 years old. Do the math. I'm currently in my mid 70's, still working in the shop, though not putting in quite as many hours per day as I used to.

In May, I'll be demonstrating smithing for the BGCM in Maryland and running a 4 day class at Yesteryear School in Virginia (besides attending to my classes in Santa Fe).

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

As a factory worker, former military, blacksmithing hobbyist, and practitioner of four different martial art styles I can tell you the difference. Yes it may keep your heart rate elevated but probably not at the target rate calculated by age, weight, etc. Forging at the rate needed to stay at the target heart rate by just hammering would set your rotator cuff on fire!! Lol. Forge for fun and make something cool as a way to shatter life's chains on us. Happy forging!!!

I have lifted 1000 pounds on the leg press machine. 11 pairs of pound plates=990 pounds + the weight of the sled. I will admit that it's not a true 1000 pounds as gravity is diluted by the angle the sled is set at. There used to be a leg press manufactured that would hold 6000 pounds of weights.

There are guys that can bench press over 700 pounds, can squat that much and guys that can dead lift more than that. I know a quite few guys that can lift way more than me, so I don't consider it that extraordinary.

Yeah I can second this, i'm new to blacksmithing but I've been weight training my whole life. You'd be surprised how easy leg pressing 1000 lbs can be, i would almost bet most of the adults on here could do it already.. the bad news is the leg press machine is a waste of time when it comes to strengthening legs.. works very little, stick with squats lunges and dead lifts for maximum gains ;)

I think the rate of what smiths hammer at would make it an impressive workout for most of us. Sure the hammers are only around 2-4 lbs but it uses a lot more than arm muscles to keep that steady and accurate. Plus I'd bet if you got your core involved in the motion it would help your endurance... PURELY theoretical because I'm not all that experienced when it comes to hammering iron so feel free to disprove this if any of you have contrary thoughts on that! heh

I do fairly heavy weight training 4-5 days a week. I guess I'm considered to be in decent shape. BUT, I have a fairly specific type of strength. I might bench press 275 pounds and leg press 1000 pounds, but I am totally wiped out at the end of a day of swinging a 2 1/2 pound hammer.

I'm a weekend warrior at best when it comes to smithing. The rest of the week I spend in an office behind a desk. Your body gets used to what you routinely do and, as you get older, it lets you know when you do something that is not part of it's routine.

you sound like me when i was 16 except the leg press i did 1500 not than different though. oh ya and i did not work at an office volunteered part time at a gator farm. and yes black smithing is a work out kinda a cardo unless you use a power hammer hydrolic press.

hehe, this one made me chuckle.... :D Made me picture in my head the archetypal blacksmith, you know, the one with the beard, the dirty clothes, the big arms and the BIG BELLY!!!!

I wouldn't consider it a workout, it's an activity that's for sure, but I guess it depends on your definition of workout. I have toned arms but not often raises my heart rate to where it would if I were say cycling, or running. I know I need more than just hammering to keep me fit! :rolleyes:

I can get my heart rate up if I have several pieces in a propane fire and work them all in a rotation, with no rest between pieces. But my arm won't last very long at that pace, which means it doesn't end up being much of a workout -- except for my arm.

In 1981, I was teaching smithery at Haystack School in Maine, and Mary Greene, a student from another medium was an adept at tai chi chuan. Mary offered to introduce us to the short Yang form of tai chi, if we cared to meet with her before breakfast every morning. I received a two week intro at that time. I followed up later at home with other teachers, and I continue to be active with the form. It only takes 10 to 20 minutes a day, and it is helpful in leg strengthening, balance, deep breathing, and relaxation, among other things. In 1981, I was 46 years old. Do the math. I'm currently in my mid 70's, still working in the shop, though not putting in quite as many hours per day as I used to.

In May, I'll be demonstrating smithing for the BGCM in Maryland and running a 4 day class at Yesteryear School in Virginia (besides attending to my classes in Santa Fe).

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

I want to make a point of this one. Read it again or for the first time if you missed it. Big muscles are nice, running a marathon is great. But doing and teaching smithing on a regular basis at least into your 70s------that's a win guys.

Good on you Frank.

Dan

Ive leg pressed over 600 plenty of times. Thats all the officers leg press machine would hold and it wasnt that hard to do when I was on DCT/Sort and working out all the time. Leg pressing a 1000 isnt that uncommom. Ive got no room to brag and I wouldent anyway. Ive seen to many big weights besides. Espically since I have worked in state prisons that still had free weights.Federal dont anymore(which I was glad to see when I switched) and most states are phasing it out..Ive personally knew an inmate that squatted 900 pounds and benched well over 500 pounds when he was over 45 years old.No suit, raw.. Saw one inmate do 25 reps of 325 pounds straight..Another that could do over 400 pounds bench with a reverse grip. ..Im big boned but Im way taller than your average lifter so benching was always real hard for me..

Just like any activity your body needs to adjust to it. Forging by hand is hard work. But it is still work and smiths are prone to injury from the repetative movements. martial arts , Yoga. lifting. etc helps counteract the effects of pounding on a anvil.
Our bodies tend to adapt to the excercise at hand . We need to increase theload or time to get the same benefits from our work out as we progress.
Side note.I recently read the early gains we make in excercise. Are not from muscle developement but our bodies learning the new technique or skill and becoming more efficient..

Marc H

I know that when you and an offsider forge 15 discs (gear blanks) weighing 36kgs each that finish at 280 mm dia x 75mm thick out of 140mm dia 4140 in an 8 hour day using a 5cwt massey, its a workout. I could guarantee that most of the gym junkies would have been passed out on the floor after the 1st heat or 2. I normally will go through about 7-8 litres of water with Gatorade powder mixed in on those days, and only go for a leak about once, so that liquid has to come out some other way, (as sweat). When i get home the missus complains about how hot it has been today, "you've been hot, how do you think we've been standing in front of the firey furnace all day. However my wife will just say, "oh yeh but you are used to it". You never get used to it you just learn to endure it. So to me yes blacksmithing is a workout. Or try forging 300mm of 300mm dia (165kg/363lb)into a gear blank measuring 460mm dia x 125mm thick on a day when the temperature outside is up around 39/40 degrees C, then tell me thats not a workout.

Phil