I Forge Iron

New Interested Wanabee Blacksmith

Nemdoug3344

Hey there Nemdoug,

Welcome to IFI and your newest addiction/obsession. There is a mountain and a half of people here that are willing to share their knowledge. I learn so much from them. Never feel afraid to ask a question but give as much info as you can about what you want so your question can be answered as completely as possible.

Most of the equipment, if you are feeling adventurous, can be scrounged together from scrap and a lot can be made by you. I made my own coal forge from a rough drawing I stumbled across and then refined it from info gathered from the brains of the more seasoned smiths. Tools can be made by you and I would rather make my own tools because it's a great learning experience.

Youtube videos. These allow you to see how to work the iron.

Books. Books are a great tool to learn by. I started with "The Art Of Blacksmithing" by Alex W. Bealer. Great book, very easy to follow.

The number one best way to learn is to seek out other blacksmiths in your area. You will be surprised to see how many there are unless you live in Guam like a new friend of mine. Go online and look up ABANA. Look up blacksmiths with your area and it may show you a Blacksmith Chapter or guild in your area. If you have one these, people are your best bet. Look up blacksmiths in your local phone book. There may be a professional in your area and he/she may be willing to teach you.

If you have a local college or university they may offer a class in blacksmithing. A metalworking class or welding class at a local technical school is a good idea too.

Schools are not mandatory to be a blacksmith but any experience you get will help you to become a better more rounded smith.

Where are you located? Tell us where you are located and there may be a member here at IFI that is near you. Never know.

Good luck,
Mark<><

Hey I am a new and interested in blacksmithing. I would like to know where and how to acquire the equipment and supplies for the craft. I would also like tips from experienced people like all of you! Thanks!!!

you can get this stuff by any means legally possible. and don't be afraid to use makeshift tools. an anvil doesn't have to be a cartoon acme brand look alike. any thing with enough mass to handle the beating will do. rocks, railroad rail, Railroad couplers. as for the other equipment, hammers and tools can be found at homedepot, yard sales flea markets and antique stores. another good source for supplies, tools and equipment is craigslist.

just put the word out locally that you are looking for these things, people seem to be unable to keep this kind of information to theirselves.

so in short, scrounge around, purchase new, or make it yourself.

Call-in radio stations are a good source for tools and equipment. Like "edge" said, yard sales and flea markets are good. Be cautious at antique stores because they get more than the worth of the tools. You can find good deals there sometimes, but be careful! Research and find average prices using craigslist. If you find something you think is good, ask here and we'll be glad to help you out. It's good if you can get pictures of what you find too!
(I hunt for tools on a pretty tight budget, in case you couldn't tell! LOL)

"The Blacksmith's Craft" by Charles McRaven is a good book as is "Back Yard Blacksmith" by Lorelei Sims.

A brake drum forge is a good starter set up. McRaven shows how to build one in his book.

Keep an eye out for anvils on Craigslist. Price and double check on here the prices you find for anvils. Rail Road rail makes a good anvil!
If you come across an anvil test the rebound. Rebound is how much the anvil pushes the hammer up when you drop it lightly (free fall) on the face. My anvil will push the hammer back up 11 inches when dropped for 12 inches! That is GOOD rebound.

Post your location! Everyone on here is really nice and helpful and you may end up being ten minutes away from a great blacksmith that will give you everything you need to begin! Ok so we aren't that nice! LOL

Post your general location, look at mine under my name for example. This lets smiths that are near you offer help and let you know what can be found/scrounged locally.

If you are near central NM let me know and I'd be happy to help you get started and introduce you to the local ABANA Affiliate.

I like "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" as Weygers shows you how to scrounge and build *everything*!

Every ABANA group I've been to welcomes new people and a Saturday afternoon in the shop with someone who knows what they are doing can save you 6 months or more of trying to figure it out on your own!

(Another one lured over to the Dark Side, the Emperor will be *pleased*!)

Wow thank everyone for all of the advice and knowledge that you have. I am in northern Michigan for all who needed to know. I have started scavenging some supplies but and not sure on what I have so far. I am learning as much as I can before I start doing anything so I don't make too many mistakes. Thank you all for being so gracious with everything.

If you think of a question, search the site and maybe it has been covered and you can read up on it first before posting. This will give you a better insight into the answers. I am a new member here, and can tell you that just reading the many topics here will give you a lot of answers to your questions. The people on this site are also very helpfull in their postings as well. Good luck in your new hobby!!!

Don't worry about making too many mistakes, that is when you learn.

Powers references "I like "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" as Weygers shows you how to scrounge and build *everything*!" I have two copies, one for the library and one for the shop.

As A relatively new smith too, I'll tell you what you NEED. A good forge, a small one will do, some homemade ones are good enough to be considerd good. A couple of peen hammers of differning weights, flea market ball peen will work fine too and something hard to bang on. If you buy one pair of tongs, new or used, you will have an example in hand as you make the others you need. Lastly a hardy to cut steel to length. If you don't have an actual anvil a hot cutter and a cutting plat will sub fine (With a good hold down). The rest will come as projects demand and you can always make them. As a non-professional smith-I like making tools.

Have fun and be patient, you will not be a master smith before summer.

The number one best way to learn is to seek out other blacksmiths in your area. You will be surprised to see how many there are unless you live in Guam like a new friend of mine. Go online and look up ABANA. Look up blacksmiths with your area and it may show you a Blacksmith Chapter or guild in your area. If you have one these, people are your best bet. Look up blacksmiths in your local phone book. There may be a professional in your area and he/she may be willing to teach you. ...

This advice, which has been echoed several times in this thread, is really the best thing you can do. A few hours in a real smith's shop, seeing how things are done will make all the difference.

I've welded up a billet using essentially a hole in the ground for a forge, charcoal from a bonfire for fuel, a chunk of rail for an anvil and a claw hammer.

I'd suggest starting to make your mistakes as early as possible so you can get more of them done before you run out of time! (of course there is a whole pile of "beginner's mistakes" you can avoid by spending a bit of time with folks who know what they are doing and so leave more time for new and interesting mistakes!

Wow thank everyone for all of the advice and knowledge that you have. I am in northern Michigan for all who needed to know. I have started scavenging some supplies but and not sure on what I have so far. I am learning as much as I can before I start doing anything so I don't make too many mistakes. Thank you all for being so gracious with everything.

Nemdoug: When you say "Northern Michigan"; do you mean the Upper Penninsula or Upper Lower Michigan ?

I am from Green Bay. I have been watching Craigs List and haven't seen a real lot of stuff in the UP - occasionally something will pop up though. A nice looking portable forge not too long ago.
There is a good coal supplier here in Green Bay if you need that.

Nemdoug: When you say "Northern Michigan"; do you mean the Upper Penninsula or Upper Lower Michigan ?

I am from Green Bay. I have been watching Craigs List and haven't seen a real lot of stuff in the UP - occasionally something will pop up though. A nice looking portable forge not too long ago.
There is a good coal supplier here in Green Bay if you need that.

Nemdoug.... Like you I'm fresh out of the wrapper.... I looked in craigslist in my area (backwards hill country) and within 200 miles... I found an anvil 120 miles from home and I made a trip out of it with meeting a relative for lunch... what a great day we all had. keep looking they are out there. My cousin in-law who does this stuff in a big way said to sign up with the local ABANA chapter. this will help you get the word out. Ask everybody you know; you never know where this stuff will come from.... My daugther is studing meatl arts in college and found an Armish women with 5 barns of junk near her college with 5 of everything in the world in those barns... that is my next trip when I go to see her... Know where a farm and a barn is? Stop and ask the farmer if he knows anybody with an anvil to sell.... every barn has at least one anvil
Have fun looking
Charlie

What about this http://saginaw.craigslist.org/tls/2099651344.html
What would be the best area on craigslist to look for your area? I will keep a sharp eye out for you!
As look use the word farrier in your craigslist serch.... this will help you find tools of the trade also

Mankel Blacksmith Shop
Cannonsburg, MI 49317
He has everything including a catologe

Under blacksmith supplies
Airco Welding
Jackson, MI 49203
This place has Blacksmith supplies
Got to go now I have men breakfast at church

Charlie