I Forge Iron

Railroad Track Uses

I've got several full length sections of RR track (legally acquired a long time ago) and would like to pick everyones brain as to uses for them. Besides makeshift anvils, what all have you used track for? What is the best way to cut it? I'd like to cut a small section to mount and use in my shop as a small anvil.

I'm sure the uses for the stuff are infinite, but I guess the main challenge for me using it is size. They're far too heavy and long to be of much use now.

We used a little import 4x6 bandsaw to cut the length I had. I was going to make a hydraulic press from it. Ended up finding a used one for inexpensive, so I have a stack of RR track sections. I wish I had cut the other half into smaller sections, and kept it. It wasn't that hard to find at the time.

You can make some sheet metal dollies with small sections.

I made my power hammer dies from RR track.
post-38-0-57265800-1293601440_thumb.jpg
Both are from a piece of switch rail. Top is on edge. Bottom is laid flat. I preheated and welded them to mild steel plate for mounting. Also having a good friend machine combo die from another piece. :) BTW, I also used a torch to cut.

Cutting- Torch is the fastest tool folks will generally have at their disposal. If you don't have a torch or other heavy tools try this. Cut thru the base and web with a bandsaw, score the hardened face with a grinder in line with the bandsaw cut, put the cut over a fulcrum of some sort with the grinder notch facing down and snap off with a sledge hammer. Wear your ppe.

Tailgate sales.

Sections for beginner anvils, jewelers anvils, armouring tools, small hardy anvils and other hardy tools.

Cut the top rail off to use for power hammer tooling, large hammer and tomahawk drifts, jewelers stakes that are gripped in a vise, sheet metal stakes with stems, weld sections together to make blacksmith stake anvils.

Use the bottom flange and web for cut-off hardies by welding on a stem.

Cutting- Torch is the fastest tool folks will generally have at their disposal. If you don't have a torch or other heavy tools try this. Cut thru the base and web with a bandsaw, score the hardened face with a grinder in line with the bandsaw cut, put the cut over a fulcrum of some sort with the grinder notch facing down and snap off with a sledge hammer. Wear your ppe.

i have also seen evidence of cuts made with cold chisel then snapped, as described above. although i have never seen it done