I Forge Iron

Small hammer?

bhanna

So for Christmas I asked my parents for a 2.2lb German hammer from blacksmithsdepot.com. Well, along the way, some decimals got mixed up, and Christmas morning I end up pulling a .22lb hammer out of a box.
Aside from making everyone laugh, I'm not really sure what to use this for. It's sold through a blacksmith supplier, so I assume there's some use in blacksmithing for it, but through lack of experience or imagination I'm completely stumped as to what that use is. Anyone with any good ideas for what I can use a really small hammer for? Any ideas for a project that it'd be useful for? I'm perfectly happy doing a project for the sole purpose of getting to use this thing :).

Sorry, no pictures yet. Left it at my parents, but they're shipping it this week and I'll post pictures as soon as I get it. It really is the smallest hammer I've ever seen. I guess I'll need to find a project that requires fine details. Maybe a pendant? My wife could use a new necklace :). Unless of course someone wants to donate me "a pound or two of gold" to hammer into a leaf :P

.22 is about a quarter pound. 4 oz is small, but I've seen them used for forge welding hammers. Small blows with a light hammer help to set the weld, without splattering the molten steel surface out of the joint. Probably not big enough for forge welding an anchor, but might be just right for putting leaves on stems.

I have a hammer about this size that I bought at a flea market. I've used it for small rivets, working sheet metal (mine has a nice round ball, that makes nice smooth dents) I've even used it for engraving. I have a dedicated engraving hammer, but on cold chisels without handles the tiny ball peen works great.

It also works great for driving out pins that don't require a lot of persuasion.

The problem I had with mine was making a new handle for it. I couldn't find a handle for it anywhere. Once the handle thing was overcome, I ended up really liking the hammer.

I'm sure you'll find lots of uses for it.

My smallest useable hammer is a Heller 2 ounce ball peen but I have two very old hammers that are smaller in weight. One is a watch makers and the other is, I guess a watch makers also, but it is built more like a tin knocker hammer, only really tiny and both of these have very small thin handles. Cute little buggers and they both show signs of past use.
Point two two ounces is really tiny and so is point two two grams if that's what it is. Any way that is a really tiny hammer. :blink:

I think you`ll find that hammer very useful when you get into cold work or especially non-ferrous work.It`ll also work well for small objects and sheet goods.
Just the thing for small brass or copper rivets, rings and small flowers/roses among other things. :)