I Forge Iron

What I got for Christmas

clinton

I seem to have more than I need
Just before Christmas I was cleaning one of my shops and found a Tom Clark hand hammer I lost 3 years ago or so. So that was a present.

I did order computer software so I can start eaditing the film from the 6 or 7 blacksmith events I went to this year which when done could be a present for many blacksmiths out there.

Unblacksmith related I did get a sig 22 pistol and have 3 other firearms on order from Arizona so it should be a happy new year.

I got a 800 gram swede cross pein, a 1000 gram hofi *cough*rip-off*cough* and a SWEET 48 Oz. (Or three pound) Vaughan ball pein that is so well made I can barely put it down. I intend to retemper the ripoff later so it'll actually be worth using.... Or I could smelt it in the cupola and use it to make that sculpture I've been working on, sell that and use the proceeds to buy a real handmade Hofi.

I got a 800 gram swede cross pein, a 1000 gram hofi *cough*rip-off*cough* and a SWEET 48 Oz. (Or three pound) Vaughan ball pein that is so well made I can barely put it down. I intend to retemper the ripoff later so it'll actually be worth using.... Or I could smelt it in the cupola and use it to make that sculpture I've been working on, sell that and use the proceeds to buy a real handmade Hofi.

From what I understand the Hofi hammer is cast, not forged.

Are you a straight razor user?

Not yet. I am using (mostly) vintage DE razors mostly. I want to try straights, but I need hones, strop, etc as well as the razor. A knife hone is typically 220-1000 grit, and razor hones go to 12K and beyond. I am just not prepared to take that plunge now. Over the next year (2011) I plan to collect the necessary stuff.

Phil

If you haven't already looked this up.

http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/

I believe this is the one I checked into earlier this year, lots of good information.

I have been on

http://badgerandblade.com/index.php

I think they call each other "the other forum" as a lot of long time members participate at both. My Dad was helpful, but only with what he does for shaving. I do things a little different from him and find it works better for me.

It is funny, here there are really ways that better to use, if you try to do something there are only a few ways to get to where you are going. With shaving (and any personal care) what works best for one person can be a nightmare to another, and mediocre for a third.

Phil