I Forge Iron

Finished copper baptismal font basin for a church

Stormcrow

I finished up and delivered the copper baptismal font recently. Here's how it ended up after final shaping:

finishingshaping16.jpg

finishingshaping17.jpg

It's approximately 29 3/4" across the inside of the rim.

After cleaning up with muriatic acid:

shiny.jpg

shiny1.jpg

And after going over it with a ScotchBrite ball chucked up in a drill:

shiny3.jpg

Although shiny, the basin is highly textured, with ripples left from the raising process and hammer marks from sinking it. The church wanted this rather than a smooth, perfect finish. Personally, I really like the textured finish, particularly the ripples, which mirror the ripples of the water.

shiny7.jpg

A steel stand was fabricated for it at another shop, then plated with a bronze patina at a third. Finally, after many months, it was delivered and installed at the church. If you look to the left of the large doors at the back, you can barely see it in this picture:

shiny11.jpg

In addition to being used as a baptismal font, the basin will stand next to the door and hold holy water.

shiny16.jpg

shiny20.jpg

And here I am, looking dirty but pleased to have it in place.

shiny19.jpg

I have a lot more pictures and footage of the process of making it that will be put together into videos and uploaded to my Youtube channel at some point.

Looks good. I like the texture.

I have to say, me being a Baptist I read "copper baptismal" and thought, "WOW! a solid copper baptismal!" I overlooked the "font basin" part. Of course since we dunk I was looking for something significantly larger. I am impressed even if it is smaller than I thought it would be. :)