I Forge Iron

Hot Honey wanting to get Hotter!!

Serena Sadi

Hi I'm Jenn thoe feel free to call me Serena. Yes I plan on changing the name. I'll answer either. I'm a artist who fell in love with wrought iron works in a college art history class. I want to start playing with hot metals and what to know some good basics. Like what I need to get started and what I need to know about the stuff I'll be making. I literaly know nota ATM but I'll be on reading and researching till my head spins, dips and swoops. So am taking in all free advise and would love to hear from anyone in the Amarillo, Texas area.

I don't know if Texas has an ABANA affiliate near you; but I will mention that the NM ABANA affiliate will have it's yearly conference in Las Cruces NM in February---a bit of a drive but conferences are light on the ground over the winter months!

Thomas
President SouthWest Artist Blacksmith Association,
the ABANA Affiliate for NM

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! The NTBA, North Texas BA is the closest Texas ABANA affiliate a mere 5hr drive. Saltfork has a Northwest group and SWABA in New Mexico. I am a member of all 3 of these groups and recommend them all. The closest Blacksmith schools to you would be Frank Turley's in Santa Fe, NM and the Gunter's school near Alburqurque, NM. Read all you want here but the best way to learn is to have some Hands on fire time. Again, welcome and enjoy the site.

Jenn,
Glad you joined. Most important is to get something to heat your metal, something to hit it with and something to hit it on. As a reletivly new smith, I found a book: "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" by Weygers - The Best $20 I sent. Be sure to get the modern reprint with all three titles enclosed; Available on Amozon, and Barns and Nobles, ect. The book also gives you ideas about alternative anvils and forges, something that may help you along in the begining.

Tools are harder to find, there are a few sites: Blacksmith Depot, Centar Forge and others but it aint cheep. Luckily they do hold most of their value. Ebay has many, many items too - tread carfully. Personnally I have seen some good and some realy bad come from the various sellers. I suggest, once you have one of all the bacis - make your own tools. It is rewarding to know that your work is feeding your creativity. Don't forget your touchmark.

I know that there are ABA groups for North Texas and for Oklahoma.

Smithing is like a rock rolling down hill - you start slowly and build exponentionally.

See you around,
Eric from Pflugerville Texas

You have my attention. I almost wish I still lived out there.

Anyhow, welcome to our home away from home and don't let Thomas bug you too much.

He's talking about Thomas POWERS!! not me :P
Make a few of the meetings either in Oklahoma or NM, mainly because they are closer to you. You can get some hands on help at these meetings and can usually find someone that has an extra toy, er I mean TOOL, they are willing to sell. www.saltforkcraftsmen.org is the Oklahoma site and you can check the schedule for a meeting to suit your schedule. http://www.swaba-abana-chapter.org/ is the site for SWABA, New Mexico's site and you can check their schedule there also.