I Forge Iron

Riveting hammer

Just though everyone would like to see my new hammer. It is about 4.75 in long by .875 It is made from W1 with a nice long hickory handle. Im not posative about the weight but the little black ruller in the pictures is 6in for referance, probaly about half a pound

I think its just wonderful, seems to have a vary hard face and pein, and its nicely weighted towards the face.

I just love a filing finish and decoration.

Best of all my Sweetheart made this for me a day ago!
You can see her touchmark under the pein

post-1847-086355100 1287516731_thumb.png

post-1847-053662700 1287516754_thumb.png

post-1847-059306000 1287516810_thumb.png

post-1847-068698800 1287516832_thumb.png

post-1847-072818300 1287516886_thumb.png

post-1847-056398700 1287516910_thumb.png

post-1847-028841100 1287517005_thumb.png

got to have a ruler! its come in handy for me a lot this year, i acutely carry it every day!

and the sides are not milled, the head and handle are both handmade with good old hand tools, I don't think she used any power tools to make this one. Just hammer, anvil, forge, punch, drift, vise, and a file

Just though everyone would like to see my new hammer. It is about 4.75 in long by .875 It is made from W1 with a nice long hickory handle. Im not posative about the weight but the little black ruller in the pictures is 6in for referance, probaly about half a pound

I think its just wonderful, seems to have a vary hard face and pein, and its nicely weighted towards the face.

I just love a filing finish and decoration.

Best of all my Sweetheart made this for me a day ago!
You can see her touchmark under the pein

That is a beautiful piece of work! All the more so because it has simple unfussy lines. It's all about the inherent beauty of the tool. If I didn't think it was inappropriate, I would ask if she has a sister. :)

More seriously, if she is interested in making a hammer like that for sale, I would buy one in a heart beat. It would be a privilege to own a hammer made by a craftsman of that caliber.

Nice work on that hammer! You are setting the standard real high.

Here is my version of a cross pein hammer that I just completed with the help of one of our guild members (Dennis G). It came out as 1 3/4 pounds. The face turned out to be a bit soft, but maybe it will work harden over time...I already have the handle attached.

Thank you for all the comments!

This pattern is based off of a riveting hammer I used while apprenticing in Colonial Williamsburg the last two summers.

I am more than happy to make more of these hammers to sell. However, being a college student I have very limited time for extra projects. I will certainly make a few more as time permits and offer them for sale here.

A Lewis

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking hammer. I'm curious as to its use, as I have a manufactured one that I have never used. I take my cold riveting clue from an old English book* which suggests for a domed head to hit with the face of the hammer followed by rounding up the head with the ball of a ball peen, and the final shaping done with the rivet snap (set, domer or dolly). Perhaps the so called riveting hammer is used similarly by first hitting with the face and then rounding the head with the peen? Thanks for any help; I pass along to my students anything newly learned.

* "Handcraft in Metal" by Shirley & Shirley, Lippincott, 6th ed., 1953.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools