I Forge Iron

Drill press size reducer

I'm guessing this is a drill press 101 question, but here goes....

I have a clark metalworker floor model drill press that has a chuck that's too big for a small drill bit I need to use.

Do I need to buy a different chuck or do they sell adapters that would allow me to use a 1/16" bit in what I have? If so, what are the called?

If the chuck is on a Morse taper shank it is easy enough to pop it out, and replace it with a smaller capacity chuck.

One problem with adapters, chucks in chucks, bushings, etc is accumulated error. If each item has a couple of thousands run out it will add up to be too much to be accurate.

If the chuck is on a Morse taper shank it is easy enough to pop it out, and replace it with a smaller capacity chuck.

One problem with adapters, chucks in chucks, bushings, etc is accumulated error. If each item has a couple of thousands run out it will add up to be too much to be accurate.

All the same, a smaller chuck would likely require a morse sleeve adapter anyway. For most blacksmith level work, a small chuck with a 1/2" diameter straight shank is easy to install, and provides sufficient acuracy.
Additionaly one would have the benefit of the much smaller chuck, allowing holes to be drilled close to an obstruction.

You can cannibalize a cheap or burned out hand drill to get the chuck and shaft. The shaft may have steps in it which should not be a problem for common small drill bit sizes.

Phil

Pretty sure I don't have one, but that's something I can probably get pretty cheap off CL if all else fails. Thanks for the tip.

Do you know what those are called?

"Micro" drills - here's a link:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1676999&PMT4NO=95756860

If that's too pricey, just buy a 0-3/8" Jacobs with a taper mount and a corresponding straight shank. The shank presses into the back of the chuck then chucked into your drill press.

Here's a chuck, under 9 bucks including shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item35a9c730b7
You can probably find one at a local hardware store also.

That looks like it would do the trick and the price is right. Thanks - I'll be ordering one of those if I can't find an old drill to cannibalize like Phil suggested.

A collet would do the trick if you can find one large enough for the drills you have.

Frosty the Lucky

I actually tried that with a small one from a Dremel but I couldn't get it to work. I think the chuck is too big to put equal pressure on the 4 points. The chuck has 3 points on it (probably not the right terminology).

As always, many thanks to everyone who responded.