I Forge Iron

material twister

hello all
I am in the begging stages of a heavy duty twister. I am hoping to build a machine that has a long bed to accomidate up to a ten foot piece in diameter of up to 6 or so inches. or multiple pieces to twist together in a sort of rope fashion. I know this may sound crazy but i have set my heart on it and am going to do it. first off though i believe i am in the market for a 200 to 1 reduction gear box. i have a ten horspower motor as well as access to rebuilt larger motors. I was thinking about building the bed out of some H beam or big I beam which I am know is some withing a mile or two of my shop. Of course all the bits or chucks will have to be modified and custom made for whatever i get into. Monster metal is on the other side of the country from me but you might have a gearbox like i am looking for just laying around. I am sure this post will set off some discussion. dont worry though i will read any and all post. thanks
kyle

One thought, and I think I've seen it done is a used lathe for the gear box and chucking. Maybe find a broken one or missing tooling but good gear box and chuck. If the bed isn't long enough, make it longer. Not like you need the accuracy you'd need for turning metal... That will be 2 cents please :D

This is most likely what your talking about!
Deloy Larson and his son from Pleasent Grove, Utah can twist 2" square stock "cold"
with the twister they are standing by!
But, now they have a twister that will twist 4' square stock "cold" like it was putty!
The photo of the large steel framed box is the 4" twister while it was under construction.
The sides and top plates are 4" thick.

post-1176-008096800 1281831861_thumb.jpg

post-1176-089274400 1281831881_thumb.jpg

post-1176-058767400 1281831915_thumb.jpg

post-1176-021962300 1281831941_thumb.jpg

This is most likely what your talking about!
Deloy Larson and his son from Pleasent Grove, Utah can twist 2" square stock "cold"
with the twister they are standing by!
But, now they have a twister that will twist 4' square stock "cold" like it was putty!
The photo of the large steel framed box is the 4" twister while it was under construction.
The sides and top plates are 4" thick.

Id like to see more about his machine.... Know where there is any other info?

I as well have been looking for a monster planetary drive to run hydraulically. A old winch would be the ticket, probably find one from a port area. I have a piece of 18" x 1/2" wall pipe for the bed, should take care of any torque issues. Good luck, hope I dont beat you to it :D

Really would like to see that 4" monster run, any chance of getting some video?

my god men that machine in utah is MARVELOUS!!!!! I would be willing to drive there from PA just to play with it for a day! I might be better of getting those fellows contact info and paying shipping etc on some of the stuff i would want done in the future, and instead make a smaller one along the lines of the one in the get twisted post.
danger dillion i was also thinking about an old elevator motor and gearbox from a building salvage or something. Frosty the truck tranny idea would work i have an old 65 dodge sitting around with an ultra low gearing and a ton of torque. i bet an old A car tranny with the double reduction rear would work mounted on a big old ugly frame. If you had a rig like that your vary your speeds and possibly feather a hand clutch or something to tweak items? anyhow i am rambling.
STONE MORE INFO SOON AND VIDEO IF POSSIBLE!!!
thank you thank you to all.

It is approximately 270 mile trip for me to take a trip to get some more photos.

And I am not able to travel at the present time.

The large twister is completed and in full operation.

They do combine several pieces and twist them together just as what has been talked about!

The end products are awesome to see.

But here is Deloy’s and Doug’s information

Larson's Ornamental Iron

225 State Rd
Pleasant Grove UT 84062
801-785-3660

Attached is a photo of a small Bear Trap he made! :D

post-1176-072981800 1281909435_thumb.jpg

post-1176-097522600 1281909463_thumb.jpg

I as well have been looking for a monster planetary drive to run hydraulically. A old winch would be the ticket, probably find one from a port area. I have a piece of 18" x 1/2" wall pipe for the bed, should take care of any torque issues. Good luck, hope I dont beat you to it :D

Really would like to see that 4" monster run, any chance of getting some video?

If you are looking for a winch, you should look into a skidder or dozer winch. They run off of a drive shaft.

Winches can be worm drive or planetary geared. The worm drive is tougher and used in most commercial or industrial applications. Most newer winches you see on the front of a pickup are planetary geared.

You're right Winston. I misspoke in my reply. Either type of drive is pretty common but a planetary isn't as appropriate as it can be turned backwards by the load if allowed to. A worm drive will NOT turn backwards unless the drive is reversed.

This is just one reason you NEVER hang humans from vehicle winches on much of a grade. A pickup winch is for pulling it or a stuck vehicle out of a hole, NOT up a cliff.

The winches we used on the drill carriers were worm drive because we often had to winch the rig up steep faces and taking a ride down a steep face was a B-A-D thing for the equipment, tools and the operator.

Frosty the Lucky.