I Forge Iron

Refinishing rusty panels

nuge

A client asked us to facilitate painting and installing of these panels they bought from India. Whats the best way to get all that rust out of the nooks and crannies? They work is pretty frail and our sandblaster guys are definitely not gentle. Any other ideas?

Jamie

post-979-087777700 1281371651_thumb.jpg

A soak in warm vinegar for about 4 hours might do the trick, just make sure it is covered completely, I've seen this trick work miracles for small rusty parts, I don't see why wouldn't work here.

After the vinegar soak, dip in ammonia and water to neutralize the vinegar. It works better than baking soda! I use about 1/4 cup of $0.98 per half gallon ammonia from the grocery store(might be $1.09 now, inflation and all). Then wash with dish soap, water, and a scrub brush. There will be chalky rust precipitate that clings to the surface.

Using a pump sprayer for the ammonia may be easier than dipping if you have limited space.

For a vinegar tank just set up some 2x4 and drape with heavy plastic on the floor, preferably close to a drain.

Phil

I'd take them to a galvanizer. They can pickle them for you for a small charge.

I agree - and have the service galvanize the panels while in possession - otherwise, they will simply rust again when the nooks and crannies that got clean from the pickling but weren't covered by the paint recoating, start to rust.

Talked to one hot dip galvanizing joint, they said they need 1/8" clearance in any voids to get good coverage. I didn't think it would work so well with all the collars but I have no experience with the process.

One idea you might consider, I don't know the costts though, is electroplating. you could take it to a chrome shop, and have it cromed, or even consider a copper electroplate. I think that would look nice, of course I've always been a fan of copper.