I Forge Iron

Treadle Hammer - you're probably not surprised I have my own ideas

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just cut a hole in the wall and stick most of it outside! :blink::lol:

Hey Grant don't joke now, thats the only way I can get my mill and lathe in my matchbox workshop ;)

Think I might write an article on surviving in the small workshop for that Baptists website of yours

post-11205-006288700 1279110466_thumb.jp

post-11205-009480400 1279110469_thumb.jp

post-11205-045939900 1279110472_thumb.jp

Hey Grant don't joke now, thats the only way I can get my mill and lathe in my matchbox workshop ;)

Think I might write an article on surviving in the small workshop for that Baptists website of yours

Im gonna think about that picture next time I want to complain about being cramped for space... Man David that looks a wee bit jammed in there...

I have a question about power hammers..My shop is small, a 12x12 building with a ceiling of maybe 9 ft. what kind of hammer would be best in such a small space. I know my hand hammer is probably best in that space but is there a maching that would fit in there? with my coal forge, propane forge, anvil, press bender, sander, power hacksaw, and quench tank space gets tight somwetimes buy carpal tunnel has me drooling for a power hammer.

This reminds me of when my buddy moved his milling machine into his moms garage and it fell over though the bathroom, breaking a few pipes and tearing out wiring at the same time
nearly burning the place down

He did get the machine for a really good deal though 300 bucks with some tooling and a vice.

I guess this evened everything out lol

I have a question about power hammers..My shop is small, a 12x12 building with a ceiling of maybe 9 ft. what kind of hammer would be best in such a small space. I know my hand hammer is probably best in that space but is there a maching that would fit in there? with my coal forge, propane forge, anvil, press bender, sander, power hacksaw, and quench tank space gets tight somwetimes buy carpal tunnel has me drooling for a power hammer.

The anyang 15 kg (33lb( has a footprint of about 16" x 36" if you want to go the self contained route. Im guessing the I.Kiss 50lb is pretty similar if you want to go 'utility' hammer.

Basically either of these will take up less space than a flypress on a stand B)

The anyang 15 kg (33lb( has a footprint of about 16" x 36" if you want to go the self contained route. Im guessing the I.Kiss 50lb is pretty similar if you want to go 'utility' hammer.

Basically either of these will take up less space than a flypress on a stand B)

....but the compressor footprint is? .......

ironstein - "utility hammer" refers to a penumatic hammer which depends on an external source of compressed air. Iron Kiss being an example. A "self contained" hammer refers to one that has a "compressor" cylinder built-in - an an yang or some chambersbergs, nazel, etc.

So a utility hammer has plumbing for air from a compressor, but likely no electrical connection at all. A self-contained hammer has an electric motor.

Obviously, any power hammer or hand hammer has "utility"...

Wait a minute!You already have(at least) TWO pneumatic power hammers and two chipping guns.
What are those running off of Mr Smarty Smith?
Let`s just assume you don`t got a compressor.You got a hydraulic press,I seen it.Build a hammer like Poleframer made and power it with the same hydraulic pump system that runs your press.Then your can dial in the speed you want too.

If young mr Dylan situated his compressor any place outside his workshop he would have to blow into his powerhammers like a man inflating a lilo the next day. Stockport, gotta love it :lol:

(we once left a press tool weighing seveal hundred kilos in a heavily gated & barbed wire yard outside our old factory, in a similar kinda area to stockport, a few years back. One of the lads suggested putting it inside for the night, gaffer said 'duck it, if they can lift it they can have it..... I honestly thing the smack heads could build a pyramid in double quick time with no power tools if they were rattling and there was a bag of brown at the end of the job :blink: )

Wait a minute!You already have(at least) TWO pneumatic power hammers and two chipping guns.
What are those running off of Mr Smarty Smith?
Let`s just assume you don`t got a compressor.You got a hydraulic press,I seen it.Build a hammer like Poleframer made and power it with the same hydraulic pump system that runs your press.Then your can dial in the speed you want too.

two hydraulic presses actually, 30 ton C frame and 15 ton H frame:)

I've got a 10hp vane compressor, and it's ...... ....... housed in an old toilet nearby....... needs must ...... I'm sure Grant would appove, easier to maintain than on the roof:) One of the few concessions my landlord has ever given me. Used to be housed under my 8' by 4' workbench. Moving it out made a massive difference to me.

If it's any consolation, the problem never goes away. I had the same issues when I had 28,000 square feet of shop on 1 acre of land. How far away from the service do you want to put the 200HP air compressor at $100.00 per foot for the wire, conduit and install? 100 feet away? That's $10,000.00 that you coulda taken home. Ended up nearly 200 feet away! And then you start plumbing.

ironstein - "utility hammer" refers to a penumatic hammer which depends on an external source of compressed air. Iron Kiss being an example. A "self contained" hammer refers to one that has a "compressor" cylinder built-in - an an yang or some chambersbergs, nazel, etc.

So a utility hammer has plumbing for air from a compressor, but likely no electrical connection at all. A self-contained hammer has an electric motor.

Obviously, any power hammer or hand hammer has "utility"...

kinda odd term really, I always take the word utility to mean services such as gas/water/drains/electricity/maybe air. In that sense a self contained is also a utility hammer. ......and the definition of pedant is?