I Forge Iron

Treadle Hammer - you're probably not surprised I have my own ideas

ped·ant
   /ˈpɛdnt/ [ped-nt]
–noun
a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.
a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.
a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense.
Obsolete . a schoolmaster.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or when someone "gives" you a hammer and it costs $5,000.00 to take it out and transport it and requires a $40,000.00 foundation? But it was "free"!

That's why when i was at an auction 10 years ago the 100lb and 250lb self contained hammers went for top dollar. But the 1000lb and 2000lb steam hammers and the 4 huge Rockford planer mills went for $500 ea to the scrappers.

Ive let 'free' hammers go to the big re-cycling center in the sky because of the lift and shift costs.

on a side note it allways makes me smile when you correct someone on their pronunciation of 'Ped-an-tic', and I still chuckle about the thread on facebook last year when someone updated their status to 'im going to end it all, people is allways putting me down' to which someone replyed 'ARE'. perhaps getting out more would help me :rolleyes:

Just to confuse hammer definitions a little further, .... in the UK forging industry 'self contained' usually refers to a gravity drop hammer where the lifter mechanism is mounted directly on to of the hammer legs (as opposed to being mounted on a separate gantry structure).

An open die hammer that generates its own air is usually a 'clear space' , or if used as a pre-forming hammer for closed die work a 'dummy hammer' :blink:

That's why when i was at an auction 10 years ago the 100lb and 250lb self contained hammers went for top dollar. But the 1000lb and 2000lb steam hammers and the 4 huge Rockford planer mills went for $500 ea to the scrappers.

Yeah, I almost cried watching 500 and 1000 ton Maxi-presses going for $100's at Government auction. But I couldn't afford the rail car and 1,500*** mile transport.

***2400 Km for the Imperially challenged

Far as I can tell blacksmiths are like certain kinds of crustaceans. We grow to fit whatever shell we are currently occupying, then try and shuck it off and go find a bigger one and promptly fill it with more crab blacksmith.

Thats spot on there judson. Guess we tend to go horizontal first then vertical

I've just noticed the location of the compressor tank in the photos of Helmets treadle hammer at the top of this thread .... roof brackets aren't far off the mark.

Most folks think a compressor needs to be a tank/motor/pump assembly all in one place but the reality is that you really only need regular access to the motor/pump for maintenance purposes.I know more than a couple of guys with small shops who treat their air like they treat their hydraulics.They put the main units on wheels and hook them up with quick disconnects or flex lines so they can swing them out from under things like benches or machines.The tank(or tanks,you can put an extra tank next to a high volume machine or at the other end of the a big shop to make up for long or less than optimal ID lines)can be put just about anywhere,even above the machine you`re feeding.All the tank really needs is a drain line and valve to keep it in good shape.

Most folks think a compressor needs to be a tank/motor/pump assembly all in one place but the reality is that you really only need regular access to the motor/pump for maintenance purposes.I know more than a couple of guys with small shops who treat their air like they treat their hydraulics.They put the main units on wheels and hook them up with quick disconnects or flex lines so they can swing them out from under things like benches or machines.The tank(or tanks,you can put an extra tank next to a high volume machine or at the other end of the a big shop to make up for long or less than optimal ID lines)can be put just about anywhere,even above the machine you`re feeding.All the tank really needs is a drain line and valve to keep it in good shape.

Guess I'm following your's an Grant's "on the roof" advice without knowing it :) . I've got my main tank rigged up with my compressor 50 ft away in the "bog" but if you look above the Kinyon you'll see I've sneaked in a mid sized "resovoir" tank that near the hammers, come to think of it theres load more room up there for "stuff"

post-11205-086034700 1279374667_thumb.jp

Guess I'm following your's an Grant's "on the roof" advice without knowing it :) . I've got my main tank rigged up with my compressor 50 ft away in the "bog" but if you look above the Kinyon you'll see I've sneaked in a mid sized "resovoir" tank that near the hammers, come to think of it theres load more room up there for "stuff"

post-11205-086034700 1279374667_thumb.jp

I LOVE showing pics of your shop to the wife.By comparison mine is spacious and organized. ;)
She sees the pics of stuff in the overhead and piled around benches and things and has asked more than once"How big is this guy? He must be a very thin dwarf."

Being an explosive minded guy I can`t help but think that your shop and it`s contents would make a fine epicenter for a terrorist attack.Sever the line to the gas forge,a small charge w/timer on the torch tanks and I can see the headlines"Entire urban neighborhood devastated by exploding blacksmith`s shop!Thousands killed by flying shrapnel!Video at 11!"
It looks more like an oversized fragmentation grenade than any shop I have ever been in,even in the old shipyards. :o

tell me about it, it does annoy me ....... I'm paying my lanlord for that unused wall space

I always thought myself lucky, they say you are paying for X amount of square footage, that's only floor space! They never thought they could charge you for the walls, ceiling etc :D

She sees the pics of stuff in the overhead and piled around benches and things and has asked more than once"How big is this guy? He must be a very thin dwarf."

Blacksmith sized 6'1" 220 lb ..... but VERY organized. Simply got no choice in 20' by 20' (and probably 20' to roof ridge