I Forge Iron

very interesting

irnsrgn

Water or Coke, VERY interesting

WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
(Likely applies to half the world population.)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak
that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.

#4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs
for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of
Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of
water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain
for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on
the computer screen or on a ! printed page.

#8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of
colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast
cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop
bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water
you should drink every day?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries
two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from
the highway after a car accident.

#2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke
and it will be gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the
toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour,
then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes
stains from vitreous china.

#4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers:
Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds
Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour
a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble
away the corrosion.

#6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola
to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into
the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.
Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix
with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

#8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke
into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run
through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen
grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your
windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

#1. the active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.
It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric
acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major
contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the
commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place
cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean
engines of the trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water?

or Coke?

There are many myths about America's favorite soft drink. Coke is a very weak acid solution and if my memory serves me correctly it has a pH of around 4. Lemon juice has a pH of around 3 as does vinegar. I doubt the statement that coke will dislove a nail in 4 days. Coke is packaged in aluminum cans among other containers. Aluminum is much less resistant to acid than steel yet the can does not dislove. As for disolving a T-Bone steak in 2 days I find this highly unlikely. To be corrosive to skin or animal tissue a substance must have a pH less than 2.5 or greater than 12. The more concentrated the acid the more corrosive to skin, the weaker the acid solution the more corrosive to metal. I was involved in the transportation of hazardous chemicals including many acids and alkalis for over 20 years. Sulfuric acid in concentrations over 50% are hauled in unlined steel or stainless steel trailers. Concentrations under 50% must be hauled in trailers that have a lining impervious to the acid either rubber or plastic. As for an engine cleaner, to remove grease and oil you need a strong alkali such as Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda) or Potasium Hydroxide (lye) which will turn the grease into soap, a weak acid solution would have little or no effect on it, while a concentrated acid solution could cause the grease to ignite. Sulfuric Acid H2S04 contains twice as much oxygen as pure oxygen 02. Nitric Acid HN03 is placarded as an oxidizer in shipping instead of a corrosive because of its strong oxidizing potential is a greater hazard than the corrosiveness of the acid. As for etching a blade in coke you could do it if you wanted to wait long enough, but there are other substances that would work faster and better.

Woody

Myth busters did a show on the many myths of coke. They found that it was more corrosive that the same concentration of phosporic acid. It did help dissolve corrosion, and shined a penny up really nice and fast. As for the nail myth, look to any science fair and you should find a project on how fast it dissolves a nail, or a tooth for that matter. The kids that did it when I was in elementary school found that it was faster but still took a while when compared to water.

IMO, the no-name brand of cola seems to be more potent, since it gives me heartburn while the true coke doesn't.

RegionalChaos, coke is a mild acid solution. Weak acid solutions are more corrosive to metal than concentrated acid solutions, heating acid makes it more corrosive to metal. For sulfuric acid every 10 degrees the acid is heated over 80 degrees F. it doubles the corrosion rate to steel, or so I was told years ago by the manager of the acid plant at Inspriation Consolidated Copper Company. If you heat any acid solution, coke, ferric chloride, vinegar, it will make it more corrosive to metal. I have used a boiling vinegar solution to clean up brass shell casings prior to reloading.

Woody

Woody- I don't think anyone was taking the original post that serious, but thanks for the info.

I have used Coke and other ingredients as a marinade for meats for years. It definitely tenderizes the tissue to a more palatable level, prior to grilling. I've also used Beer (insert favorite brand) with the same results. Same thing with Early Times.

I've also been drinking Coke every day for the last 20+ years. And I'm not dead yet. I think the level of acid is so minute, it doesn't really affect the body that much. Besides, the stomach produces acid levels that will probably blow the litmus paper off the chart.

I think I'll go have a Coke...........

One of the reasons I prefer Coke over Pepsi is that Pepsi is so sweet.

I also prefer Coke in cans, rather than plastic bottles. Glass bottled Coke is good, and also the only one with a true Coke taste, but it's more expensive so I buy glass bottles very rarely.

Not to fan the flames, BUT, the parts about water especially fuzzy memory , fatigue and joint pains are on the money. Been around that block a couple of times. Once I was so dehydated that I became completely soused on two cans of beer. My 1SG and Sr Drill found me asleep/passed out with trremendous muscle cramps and disoriented. Near Death? naw but in pitiful shape. Left alone, I would have been days recovering and not realized why I couldn't hold my likker. ;) Been making a point of drinking water ever since.

As well, I sometime have to go to restaurants and take pH samples after they get busted by the City for being out of Environmental Compliance. Most restaurants pH will be acidic. The reason is tomatoes and fruits. They are acidic and most all else is neutral. Dump enough tomato sauce down the drain and you get busted for too low pH. Cola's will get you busted as well but they are not as acidic as tomatoes.

Food for thought?