I Forge Iron

Subhilt hunter

Rich Hale

This 10 1/2" long knife has a 5" blade of 440C stainless steel. It features a clip point and a finger notch on the spine of the blade. The blade has been professionaly heat and cryogenicaly treated.

The handle is of purple heart and water buffalo bone. The fittings are 416 stainless steel and the small spacers are nickel and black liner material.

post-68-012904900 1278003594_thumb.jpg

i just went to rich's website and saw a thing on there that said from firefighter to knifemaker, sounds a whole lot like my mentor, from firefighter to blacksmith, even the name sound alot alike, rick hanshaw, rich hale lol. great loooking knife man, hopefully oneday ill be able to make stuff like that.

Interesting...
Subhilt "Hunter"

Most of the subhilts I see are "Fighters" or maybe I'm not paying attention?

The blade design jumped right out, looks very good. I like it alot.

Always enjoy viewing your work.
Mark Behnke

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hello, ive got this really NOOB question...

in order to make a knife like that, is heat treatment needed? or do you just grind it out of the Steel sheet...is it forged?
im sorry i know you´ll know a lot about steels...
ive got this stainless steel planck at home... and i would like to know if i can cut out a good knife ot of it...and if i have to heat treat it... or whatever is needed...
thank you for answering in advance....

Greetings from Panama.

Shor tanswer to your question is: This knife is made from 440C stainless steel a steel formulted with a nice carbon content and other materials for blades. You can google for heat treat stats for this steel and it will show you time snd temperatures. Most knif steel have that availeable. Due to the reqirements I cannot heat treat thiskind of steel in either my coal forge or gasser. I send them out to a heat treat professional service. Most folks have trouble forgeing any of the knife grade stainless steels so I grind these to shape and contours. If you cut a blade ouit of that piece you have and grind till yoiu like it it will be good practice. but as you do not know wot stainless it really is most heat treat places would not take it. There aree a few knife makeres that do their own stainlees heat treat but most all of them have a correct oven to do them in.

Thanks, the stainless steel is 304...should i stay with leaf spring´s steel, and forget about that planck of stainless steel?

ive got another noobie question...
Whats better grinding the shape out of a steel planck or forge it...
whats the benefits and the cons of each process...
is it ok if i Post here some URLS where you can download bladesmithing books like... the complete bladesmith, the 50$ knife shop, the machinery manual 27th, among others, is this ok with you?

Another short answer to the question on 304 SS, for a steel to be hardenable it must contain some caerbon..and for blades it must be over a certain amount of carbon.. One fast test you can do that is interesting but does not tell much about the steel is to try a magnet on it. It will not stick if there is not any carbon. If it does stick that still does not tell you wot the carbon content is.
I am not the person to ask about posting anything on this site but i will give you my personal feelings. I Think it is a great way to let others know the informatio involved..ONLY that is if the material is not protected by copywrites and in most cases you will need a release from the author to allow you to do that. Without those two things I feel it is theft.
Think abvouit how you might feel if yoiu put on paper an accounting of wot it took yoiu a lot of years to learn and marketed it, only to find thatr in spite of how you tried to protect it and maybe recoup a small amount of the money yoiu spent on this knowledge. It makes the internet and everyone has access to it without even saying thanks to you. This site has tons of information for most aspects of metalwork and the folks in control try and see to it that those guidelines aree followed in every instance. And again my personal feelings on this. Buy the books and havve them at your fingertips. They are worth it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answere me i guess ill keep with the leaf springs... got a whole bunch of em...

thank you Mr. Rich Bale and Matt Bower i look forward to show you my blades and get some constructive critics like the ones upthere!!

Greetings from Central America..

This 10 1/2" long knife has a 5" blade of 440C stainless steel. It features a clip point and a finger notch on the spine of the blade. The blade has been professionaly heat and cryogenicaly treated.

The handle is of purple heart and water buffalo bone. The fittings are 416 stainless steel and the small spacers are nickel and black liner material.

Very pro blade Rich. Not like I'd expect any less from you. Being 440C I assume it's stock removal but could be wrong?

She's a beaut.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty I should have put that on to begin with. It is for sure stock removal..and for anyone that does not know...many times if you try and forge stainless knife grade material you get little cracks everywhere.. 440C can be done by a few folks, I do forge a few blades each year and enjoy that but not from stainless.