I Forge Iron

GET MORE TOOLS!!

Nice place you got there Larry, I could feel right at home with little effort. Not owning your own ground can be improved if you wish. Heck, there's two parcels just up the hill from me, the close one is 15 acres and we'd probably be sharing the driveway, the other is another 500' up the hill and it's 20 acres.

As soon as I'm cleared to drive again I'll be happy to haul freight up the Alcan and right to your new digs. I have a full boat commercial driver's licence and a clean record so even Canadian customs won't have any heartburn letting me through. It's a lot less expensive than boat freighting from the Pac NW to Anchorage, heck, air freight is cheaper!:blink:

As an added incentive I'm also an experienced equipment operator on really good terms with the local rental companies so land clearing and grading is no problem.

Your well'd be about 150' but the water is sweet, clear and plentiful.

What the hey, bring the women, brightening the neighborhood is always a welcome thing.B)

Frosty the Lucky.

That is a mighty nice invite Frosty.... I only thing I would worry about is having enough work to support my tool addiction...

I agree Michael, Hands down, Larry wins!

So Larry, is that the rocker you're going to retire to and did the shop come with banner girls or was that a later addition?

I sold the rocker.... It sat in my yard for a long time, one day a guy came over to look at some racks I had for sale.... He ask how much for the rocker, I said its not really for sale... He said I'll give you a thousand bucks.. I said would you like me to deliver it with a bow on top?

The girls came out to do a photo shoot with a bike I built...

Bryce: Love your shop,but,WHY IS THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER LYING ON THE GROUND LOOKING EMPTY!!!!!!Sorry-my shop is wood floor so I'm kinda fire extinguisher conscious...

Larry: I'm a Realtor in Eugene and there is a beautiful piece of rural property out of town here with a giant shop. I lust after it every time I go by.
Lots of iron smackers around. Just 30 minutes from from Dave Thompson's shop..... I understand where you've been though... I ranched a good share of my life in NE Nevada. Got in a fight with BLM and FHA. Wound up sleeping under bridge in my car in Eugene,crippled up and studying for my real estate license in 1992.... Eric Sprado

What makes me smile about all those pics is the potential for and in that shop,and I`m NOT talking about $$$.
We`ve all seen and probably know people who have more dollars than sense and run around buying the most high dollar or fashionable gear and yet their work never seems to get any better or go anywhere.Larry and a few others here are only bound by their imaginations.They would be turning out quality work if just using a hole in the ground and a Sears claw hammer and rock.The big machines they use were all bought used and refurbished or modified by them to fit their vision.The fact that the vision saved great old iron from the scrap heap just makes it so much better and is part of who they are,their creative soul.
What make me really smile is when you see someone who is so in touch with their creative side that they will go out of their way to make or rebuild a machine with no real need other than to see where it will take them.They have no doubt it will lead them further down the path to discovery.
It`s about not losing the wonder once you have mastered the skills.
Larry,Mike,Captain Psychobabble,David,Uri,Pep,Brian and a host of other folks who keep me coming back here don`t turn out work as much as they allow themselves to play.Where they do the most work is in their heads.The buildings and their gear are only the earthly,physical limits of a wonderland that starts with a sharp,creative mind and trained,talented hands.
Without those things guiding them,all the tools in the world piled in one place would only be another junk yard.

You know I love tools and machines but I sometimes feel like my love of this stuff is more of a curse.... At the moment its just me and my son Andrew working at the shop, so trying to keep everything clean and running is just about a full time job.... I like working on machinery but it almost always cost money to do so and takes time away from paying work....

I actually have got mad at people who have come into my shop and said "I would do anything to have a shop like this! :blink: :blink: "

I turn to them and say " its that right? You would be willing to give up 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week for the next 10 years? Give up everything? Forgo having an income in exchange for having a shop? Invest every last bit of energy you have?

When someone says " I would do anything" I take offense... It doesnt take just anything... It takes EVERYTHING...

Good thing I like it :D

There are days I very much envy my friends who have a simple clean shop not cluttered with "stuff" My friend Nick R is a fantastic metalworker, better than me for sure... And I could carry off all his hand tools in my arms, one trip.... I ask him one day how he did anything without any tools.... he looked at me funny and said I just do it B)

You are very right in what you say. I personaly do not have that kind of drive even though I am very pasionite about what I do. To all who look at this and envy what Larry has remember it is a double edge sword, so be careful what you wish for you might just get it. ;)

There, but for the grace of God....

You're right, Larry. I wouldn't do what's necessary to have a shop like that. (And most of those tools would end up being wasted on me. Pearls before swine.) But I'd sure love to come over and use yours for a little while!

:lol:

I do remember someone telling me I first had to determine the work I wanted to do and the tool for it... I also have to admit most of the time that the tool has opened my mind to different ways of building.
The more tools you have can allow you to do the work you seek but will also need the support of other tools to make them work, what the hey!

Right now I have a great 10 GA by 6' Edwards power shear that I bought because the electronics where broken and it was in my price range. This is an exceptional tool which will open my creative ability to work sheet metal but, now I need a Pulmax, Yodor hammer, slip rolls, dollies, hand hammers, tig welder... oh well all in good time.

I would like to pose this question,

How much would it take to buy you outright? Everything as it lays you take nothing but the cash.

I would like to pose this question,

How much would it take to buy you outright? Everything as it lays you take nothing but the cash.
. Not that much really, A lot less then you could go buy the stuff for. Maybe 175k including the three trucks and 3 trailers? And if someone took me up on that I'd go find a table and a anvil and go back to work, in 10 years or so my shop would probably look about like this one does now

Nice place you got there Larry, I could feel right at home with little effort. Not owning your own ground can be improved if you wish. Heck, there's two parcels just up the hill from me, the close one is 15 acres and we'd probably be sharing the driveway, the other is another 500' up the hill and it's 20 acres.

Aw come on Frosty your just trying to find someone to come up and clear the trees lining your driveway :)

Aw come on Frosty your just trying to find someone to come up and clear the trees lining your driveway :)

Not JUST, sure help killing deadly Great White birch would be welcome but having a neighbor within walking distance with enough power tools to build a mechanized infantry division would be deBOMB!.;)
Frosty the Lucky.

actually frosty u may end up wit some of the kassik clan up there anyways. my aunt's getting married and moving to alaska this summer.

That's great! Give them my best wishes and contact info if they're interested. person can't have too many friends you know.

Frosty the Lucky.

Bryce: Love your shop,but,WHY IS THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER LYING ON THE GROUND LOOKING EMPTY!!!!!!Sorry-my shop is wood floor so I'm kinda fire extinguisher conscious...

its full I lost the mount for it though I have 3 in my shop which is like 18x19

everything is usually a mess I spend alot of time working in there on many projects so there is always a mess of some sort, I am improving it and cutting down on stuff I dont need and getting it more usable though

yesterday they bought me some steel and I nearly finished the new welding table which will be on wheels hoping to add to the organization and give me the option to move it when using the powerhammer or saw.

They give me a good deal on steel I go around and find everything they cut short or crop pieces or bent stuff and they we eye ball it and they bring it over

I got 30 feet of 5x2.125 tubing and more than 1000 lbs of steel for 110 delivered
we dont weight it we just look at it and make a deal, I worked there for 6-7 months moving steel this was the part that made that all worth while.

they think of it as me helping them they usually pay a worker to chop it all up small and dump it in the bin

works out great for me most of the stuff I use to forge for personal and small projects is all this bent stuff,
for someone making real money as a business it probley wouldnt be worth it but not having alot of money for me it makes a huge difference in what I have on hand.

usually I buy what I need for projects as they come I dont usually try to keep tubing because my metal is outside and it gets all rusty

also in the pics pieces for another stand for someone and my poorly fabricated firepot made from old 3/4 inch awning brackets

post-3202-061956100 1278178994_thumb.jpg

post-3202-069275700 1278179125_thumb.jpg

post-3202-029165100 1278179157_thumb.jpg

post-3202-040345800 1278179358_thumb.jpg

post-3202-022732900 1278179402_thumb.jpg

Larry: In support of your remark about what it takes to get a shop like that. I read somewhere that somebody once said(I"m sure a zillion times)to Itzhak Perlman "I would give ANYTHING and Everything to play like that". His reply: "I have"....

• 2 weeks later...

Man I wish there was 36..... Then I could be taking like 8 a day off!

Live it up now ,Brother!
At the rate you`ve devouring life the days are coming when you` won`t have a choice and you`ll HAVE to take at least 8 hours a day off,like it or not.
The good thing will be that,if you`re very lucky, there`ll be little ones running around helping you fill the hours and you won`t mind the time off in the least. :D

VERY NICE SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to visit some day and I invite you to visit me some day. I call my place the 3rd world, so it won't be equalt to yours fur shur.

Old John

Remember John,you`re never too old to appreciate banner girls.
Just don`t get caught appreciatin` them too long or you may have to sleep in the 3rd world. ;)