I Forge Iron

First Cable Knife

Here's the start of my first cable knife that I did with LDW's tutelage and tooling. LDW's bottom die for the tredle hammer forges a pentagon. I've never forged a five sided weld before this. The pics show the knife after forging and wire wheeling, no grinding or filing yet. I'll post more pics when it's finished.post-4954-001016800 1277919274_thumb.jpgpost-4954-016319600 1277919324_thumb.jpgpost-4954-076850700 1277919395_thumb.jpgpost-4954-094266900 1277919456_thumb.jpgpost-4954-085092500 1277919499_thumb.jpgpost-4954-043221600 1277919537_thumb.jpgpost-4954-086095600 1277919575_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian,
Nice clean work-as usual. By the way, I heard a vicious rumour that you might be headed our way to demonstrate for us (the Northeast Blacksmith's) this fall-hopefully you can confirm this rumour! Looking forward to seeing you demo and meet you when (and if ) you come to the Catskills.
Take care,
Mark Emig

Hi Brian,
Nice clean work-as usual. By the way, I heard a vicious rumour that you might be headed our way to demonstrate for us (the Northeast Blacksmith's) this fall-hopefully you can confirm this rumour! Looking forward to seeing you demo and meet you when (and if ) you come to the Catskills.
Take care,
Mark Emig

It's true Mark, and I am looking forward to it also. I have only been in that area of the country once back in 1984, and it was truly beautiful.

Yesterday after lunch I took a draw file to the knife. There wasn't that much to do, so it went very quickly. Then I went to harden it, and I used water. Lyle, LDW, told me not to use water, but I just had to see for myself. I brought the edge up to temp and plundged the whole blade in the water. It hardened it and you could really see the pattern, no cracks, I didn't hear any clinks, but it warped it. So I heated the whole blade up a few times and straightened it with my butcher block brush. I never over heated it. I heated the edge back up and just quenched the edge this time, and I heard that klink. There was a tiny crack perpendicular to the edge of the blade, so I proceded to see how much more damage I could do. I reheated the blade and requenched the edge, this time dipping the point down more, and I heard about 3 more klinks and got about 3 new cracks, larger and more towards the point this time. Anyway, I kept at that for a while, heating more, quenching more, bending and breaking it in the vice until just before Lyle showed up from work. I should have taken Lyles advice, but I wanted to see it for myself. I also should have normalized the blade a few times after forging it before I hardened it. I learned a bit, and I'll try it again. The nice thing about the cable knives like Lyle has been doing is they are quick and efficient to make.

Hi Brian,
Sorry to hear you killed that nice knife. Glad to hear the rumour is true. If you are in the area for longer than the Hammer-in, I can either direct you to some really nice places and things to do, or do the tour guide thing if you like. The Catskills/Hudson Valley has a lot of cool things to see/do.
Mark Emig

Hi Brian,
Sorry to hear you killed that nice knife. Glad to hear the rumour is true. If you are in the area for longer than the Hammer-in, I can either direct you to some really nice places and things to do, or do the tour guide thing if you like. The Catskills/Hudson Valley has a lot of cool things to see/do.
Mark Emig

Thanks for the offer, Mark, but if I don't have work I'll have to get back to work. I haven't been able to afford time off since I started this blacksmithing. I don't even understand what a weekend is, for me, the weeks keep going on and on. They haven't ended yet.

I wanted to cry when I saw that knife after it cracked. Brian just brushes these things off and makes another one. This means its time to make another one. I need to make a couple myself so we will have to have another go at it. I cant wait to get over there.

Hello:

Hope no one minds an intrusion.... You got the cracks cause you used water. You should should of used a light to medium weight/speed oil...

The mixture of motor oil/atf/diesel fuel suggested above works quite well...been using it myself for many years, even for water hardening tool steels when I feel that ther's an elevated chance of cracking a blade...

JPH