I Forge Iron

First Come, First Serve

There is a magnificent trip hammer for sale on ebay right now, with only one day and change left. It is a Williams 100 lb. trip hammer. Some guy in wisconsen has it for sale, for $2000 bucks. I have an identical hammer in my shop, a williams 150 lber, which is 1/12 times as big as the one he has for sale. This hammer hits harder than any of the "popular" hammers, and is easy to maintain. I have been using my williams hammer for 30 some odd years, banging out thousands of slate shingle rippers, brick hammers, etc. The williams hammer is a workhorse!. The guy on ebay selling it doesn't realize what a treasure he has. I am hoping someone on iforgeiron grabs this hammer, it is a leaf-spring actuated hammer.

In 1977, when I bought my williams 150 pound hammer, I had to pour babbit bearings. Other than oil and grease, this is the only maintainance I have done since then on this hammer. It is very similar to the champion trip hammer design, just as durable, and just as versitile........I highly recommend this hammer that some guy is selling right now on ebay! I run my hammer at up to four strokes a second, and I have done some hard pounding on my machine over the years. Nuff said!

That hammer is being sold by Bob Bergman of the Postville Blacksmith shop. It is about an hour from Beloit, WI. I know Bob and I'm sure he knows exactly what he has and its value as Bob has been in the trade for 30+ years. As many on this site already know, Bob is THE MAN for Nazel info. I suspect the price he's asking reflects the condition of the hammer.

Patrick

For the western contingent of smiths, there is an excellent Fairbanks 200 lb hammer for sale on craigslist in salt lake city,utah. It is listed under "powerhammers". For one thousand dollars, it is an excellent deal. I used a fairbanks for five years while serving my apprenticeship, it is a tough, hard hitting hammer!

If it wasn't 2,000 miles away I'd be there right now with cash and a truck. I run a Fairbanks model E (150#) most every day and they are darn good hammers. I have to wonder if the sale is because he tried to run it on a 2 hp motor, mine has a beefy industrial 5 horse for 50 lbs fewer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...