I Forge Iron

Steam Hammer Demonstration

This past weekend Clifton Ralph, Steve Parker, and Kurt Fahrenbach forged a new post vise under a two hundred pound Chambersburg steam hammer actually running on steam from a coal fired boiler at the Tipton County Fairgrounds in Tipton,Indiana. It was a great demonstration and a rare opportunity to see the diffence between steam and air operation of a hammer. Roger Degner took video so I'm sure there will be an opportunity to see some of it later for those who missed it. Even as he approaches eighty Clifton is still a great teacher and Steve and Kurt did a great job. I'll try and post a few pictures and perhaps Dave Hammer will post some of his too. If this doesn't work I hope it's OK to say that there are some in the gallery over at fogemagic too. Steve G

post-8-075092900 1277764045_thumb.jpg

post-8-097912800 1277764060_thumb.jpg

post-8-084001300 1277764082_thumb.jpg

post-8-011562400 1277764095_thumb.jpg

This past weekend Clifton Ralph, Steve Parker, and Kurt Fahrenbach forged a new post vise under a two hundred pound Chambersburg steam hammer actually running on steam from a coal fired boiler at the Tipton County Fairgrounds in Tipton,Indiana. It was a great demonstration and a rare opportunity to see the diffence between steam and air operation of a hammer. Roger Degner took video so I'm sure there will be an opportunity to see some of it later for those who missed it. Even as he approaches eighty Clifton is still a great teacher and Steve and Kurt did a great job. I'll try and post a few pictures and perhaps Dave Hammer will post some of his too. If this doesn't work I hope it's OK to say that there are some in the gallery over at fogemagic too. Steve G

I think I have watched this hammer in operation at Pontiac, Il. It is one alsome hammer! When they are doing some seris hammer the ground shakes! Armand (Hope I have the posting figured out this time!)

Steve G. (SGensh) is just one of my good friends I was able to visit with at Tipton this past weekend. It was truely an awesome conference. There were several great demonstrations, as well as a learner's area, going on in unison. There is a very well organized IBA effort that makes Tipton great year after year. They normally have their conference the first weekend in June. This year it was later because of a date conflict with the national ABANA conference. Plan to go next year if you can. I am, as Steve suggested, providing some pictures. Incidently, these types of hammers are successfully converted to air usage. Kurt Fehrenbach has a shop close to Tipton that I visit every time I go out there. He has a 600# Bement (sp?) of similar design to Chambersburg utilities, he uses every day in his shop. He also has a 1500# outside (not set up) for show. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

The pictures are of the boiler, the 200# Chambersburg steam hammer (and my son), Kurt at the hammer, Larry Marek (provided the hammer and boiler), Larry being the hammerman (controlling the blows), Clifton Ralph and Steve Parker working on the vise. Finally, the fruits of the labor demonstrated Saturday. There were several others on the crew in support of the boiler and hammer also. Sunday AM they drew out the rest of the two sides and demonstated one method that could be used to make the screw for the vice.

It was warm (well, a little hot) at the conference (not as hot as Memphis though). Great crowd, about a hundred more than average attendance.... a well deserved tribute to all the demonstrators and those who plan and execute the IBA conference. Mark your calendar for next year's fun.

post-585-033240100 1277766049_thumb.jpg

post-585-015859200 1277766078_thumb.jpg

post-585-077462100 1277766097_thumb.jpg

post-585-034140700 1277766112_thumb.jpg

post-585-090078300 1277766132_thumb.jpg

post-585-006303100 1277766157_thumb.jpg

post-585-056813000 1277766193_thumb.jpg

What a treat. The pictures brought back great memories. November 1st 1973 I went to work as a blacksmith helper at Kaiser Steel, Fontana Steel Mill. The very first thing I was trained on was how to operate a hammer. There were two hammers in the blacksmith shop. A single leg Chambersburg High Frame Hammer, I do not remember the weight - it was at least twice the size as the small hammer I suppose it was in the neighborhood of 1000#, and a 200# Chambersburg. I spent about 3 years in the blacksmith shop. Made all kinds of tools, many of which I still have - lots of hand hammers. I became what I would consider an expert "driver" of the High Frame, but only satisfactory on the 200# hammer. I did not run the small hammer much. The head blacksmith's helper was the one that ran the small hammer most of the time. He was an "old" man then and had been running that hammer for 20 plus years.

The hammers in the blacksmith shop were air powered.

BTW. In the steel mill the hammer driver sat in a chair. The chair was tall like a stool. This allowed better control of the choke and throttle. I was suprised to see the hammer driver standing to opperate the 200#er because the choke and throttle controls were very touchy comparied to the High Frame. The small hammer took alot more concentration to operate.

• 5 months later...

Off topic. I missed Clifton. I was Indian dancing at Tecumseh Lodge Powwow, Tipton Fairgrounds, September 4-5, 2010.

Thanks for the re post Frank, being a new member I didn't catch that one. I can hardly fathom some of the some of mastery that sweet o'l boy can conjure.
I remember meeting you at a demonstration circa 1976 at Skunk Hollow Forge, and what weekend that was....Time passes fast....mb

• 8 years later...