I Forge Iron

Soon to get my first gas forge

edge9001

Let me start by saying I do not yet have a gas forge. I have a guy who is selling me a propane forge minus the tank regulator for $50. Is this a great deal or what? I know I can probably make on for less or atleast close to that price. now for the qeustions.

Should i get a standard single stage propane grill regulator, or should I get a 2 stage heater/appliance regulator?

what kind of life should i e4xpect from a single grill size tank?

I know these questions are probably better answered with more information and possibly pictures. I'll have pictures tonight hopefully, as for more information let me know what information is needed, Ill do my best to answer.

I have a 3 burner Diamond back forge. It came with a small adjustable regulator. When I first got the forge I used the small grill size bottle. It kept freezing up. A couple of nights at the forge and it would be empty. I have now got a 100 ld bottle and have not had any freezing problems. It will last me 3 to 4 months forging a couple of nights a week. When I first got the forge I would run it at 11 lbs but after becoming more familular with the forge I now useually only run 5-6 lbs. I also put an idler valve on it so I can quickly reduce fuel pressure when I remove a piece rom the forge then kick it up when I go back for a reheat.

hope this helps

As previously indicated.... you need an adjustable regulator. Most use a 0-30#. If you can't find one locally, Larry Zoeller sells them online from his website. The pressure you set it at will be dictated by how hot you want to run your forge and how efficient your forge is.

Regarding propane tank sizes.... Although a large propane tank is desirable, you may not need one. How many burners does your forge have? How large is/are the burner(s)? If it has only one burner, generally a small tank will work fine (although when it gets low, the tank may freeze up). I frequently use small tanks. If it does start to freeze up, I put the tank in my water bucket. If your forge has more than one burner, you may need a larger propane tank (or not). If you already have a small tank, I would suggest to use it and see how it fits your needs. How long it will last is determined by the efficiency of your burner(s) and forge and how hot you run your forge. A well tuned, one burner forge will run several hours, at a good forging heat using a BBQ sized tank.

Good luck with your new toy....

The forge, I'm told was made from a 10 pipe 18 inches long, has everything except a regulator. I've not got pictures of it yet.
the email I got from the current owner is:

I had a metal shop before moving to XXXXXXXXX four years ago. This forge was my last project before moving. I fabricated it from plans I found on the net. It has an electric blower and has never been fired. I'm asking $50. for it. Where I live I can't have a shop so it is usless to me. If you would like to see it, give me a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I also have a metal bender, Victor torch with three never used tips, asbestos gloves and a couple more items. Jim

I've yet to find out what the "other" items are yet, but i don't need the torch, the bender and the forge however I am getting $50 each. as well as the gloves if the price is right.

I get about 7-8 hours on a tank heating a forge close to that size for forging (not welding). The big question is is it single or double lined? Double provides a *lot* more insulation and there fore less gas usage.

Call up your local propane place and ask about a red hat regulator; or look for an old turkey fryer at the fleamarket. A gas grill regulator does not have enough throughput for forging! You will be wanting to get in good with a propane dealer anyway---it's a lot cheaper to refill a tank at a dealer rather than swap tanks at a grocery, service station or big box store. Once you get in good with them you can do things like leave off your empties and pick them up later full; or they will refill them for you when they are supposed to be closing for the day...

I would consider that a large forge. It is likely you may need a larger (than BBQ size) tank to move enough propane without freezing up. I'd still try a small tank before I bought a large one though (if I already had a small one).

some have sugested two or three grill tranks on a manifold, to get past the freezing problem. would you suggest that or a single large tank

I my self have a 3 burner mankel first you need a adjustable regulator I have seen them on line for about $50-60. A bbq grill tank last me about 3 hours of forging So I found a 100# it works out for every 3.5 20# tanks you would refill you get 1.5 free. there is some savings having the bigger tank. but start out with what you can efford once you use for a while you will see what your needs as and if you have a 20# tank why buy one it dose not say how many burners it has.

Can *YOU* easily move a larger tank around? Can *YOU* pick up a good used one cheaply, can *YOU* do the same for the smaller tanks?

I picked up a 100# tank for $25 that I use in my shop but for on the road I use a BBQ sized tank. I can back up to the shop and manhandle the large tank in and out of my pickup; but it is a mite heavy when full! Also I have to budget to get it re-filled as it is a chunk of change at one time.

I use a 60lb tank with a two-burner Diamondback... get good time between refills, only freezes-up when near empty (in the winter only - not summer) and most importantly, I can LIFT & MOVE it on my own when it's full....lol!

I was freezing up my grill sized tank in fifteen minutes with a forced air blower at welding heat. I put the tank in a tub of water and it will not freeze up and I can use it until it is almost completely empty.

I have used two tanks on a manifold with good results. If I were to use a LOT of propane over time, I would get a large (larger than 100#) and have it filled by a service company.

I have started to use a 100# tank at home just so I'm not changing tanks so often, but as implied, they can be a challenge to manage yourself. If you have a pickup, it is possible, but keep in mind.... they are heavy when full, and some filling stations will only fill them if they are secured standing up (which you may not have a rack for).

As noted, small tanks are much more convenient if you travel to demonstrate and take your own gear. The medium sized tanks (maybe 30" tall) would be a good compromise. Any size larger than a BBQ size will have to be taken to a filling station (you can't just exchange them at Walmart, Home Depot or Lowe's) if they aren't filled by a service provider.

I have my new propane forge!!! and it's about time...lol
This forge and my new bender were both hand made, and as we all know hand made toold can be great or terrible quality items. luckily for me the Jim, they guy I bought them from, is a retired machinists from a government run printing company. I'll send pictures later tonight or tomarrow. I now need to find a regulator. Should be an easy task.

My wife once commissioned a spinning wheel to be made by a retired master machinist based on one in a local museum.

So he went out with his micrometers and took exhaustive measurements and made an expensive solid black walnut TOTALLY WORN OUT brand new wheel!

He did an excellent job of exactly duplicating 100+ years of wear as he didn't know beans about how a spinning wheel works!

My you have better luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Finnally. I got the thing up and running. I had to get a regulator and hose for it. I ended up buying two propane regulator/hose setups from ace hardware. on was a fryer regulator with a hose I couldn't use. the second was a grill regulator i couldn'r use with a hose I could. Hooked it up and let the dragon breath. I got my current knife project to a nice cherry red in about 2 mins...hell yeah...im excited. I'll send pictures later