I Forge Iron

Vise questions

Sam Falzone

Looking for some help here.
I was given a post/leg vice by my father-in-law when they moved out of their old house - needs a bit of work but it was a great gift.
I have in mind to one day make a forge wagon to take to demos and I want ti include a vise in the set-up. The vise I have is too big and heavy.
I've seen pictures of small blacksmith vises that look just like a post vise, but without the post - the vise ends at the box hinge.
This is what I'm looking for. (wish I could find some pictures)
Does this style of post-less vise go by another name?
Where can I find them?

Sam

Sam I have seen them but not often. I think they would be properly called box vises... but you might see them called most anything. Here is a link to a pic of one that was sold as a "chuck wagon tongue vise". Take a look at the photo... it seems to me that the easy way to get one would be to alter a regular post vise by making a more robust mounting (because without the post the mount has to resist ALL the twisting and pounding forces) and cutting off the post leg. It looks fairly simple to do and you'd likely make a better one than you could buy.chuck wagon tongue vise

Sam I have seen them but not often. I think they would be properly called box vises... but you might see them called most anything. Here is a link to a pic of one that was sold as a "chuck wagon tongue vise". Take a look at the photo... it seems to me that the easy way to get one would be to alter a regular post vise by making a more robust mounting (because without the post the mount has to resist ALL the twisting and pounding forces) and cutting off the post leg. It looks fairly simple to do and you'd likely make a better one than you could buy.chuck wagon tongue vise
/>

THAT'S IT !!!
Thanks Bigfoot. I was hoping they were more common.
I think your idea of modifying a 3" or 4" vice might be the best way to go - they're definitely common enough.
Thanks again.
Sam

Have you thought about just getting a smaller leg vise for the setup. One of the short ones that are around 30 or 40 lbs would be portable enough. You could even create a mount for it that could swing up to lie on top of the setup when moving it, or have it attached in a way that could easily be taken off.
I saw one portable forge setup last year I think at the Rockton fair. The guy had probably a 70lbs vice mounted near the corner that would sit on the ground, then when the handles would be lifted to push/pull it around the leg would lift off the ground. Seemed like a good idea.
Hope this helps.

Hey Sam. Here's how we mounted the leg vice on the back of the forge cart at the historic site that I work at. If you can't find a box vice, try this. It works very well. :D
http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/Curly_George/?action=view&current=LLC014.jpg

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/Curly_George/?action=view&current=LLC10.jpg

PS:Don't pay attention to my wrist watch. That was an OOOOOPS!! LOL.

Leg/post vises don't resist twisting regardless of how they are mounted. Leg vises are for hammer work, machinist vices are for twisting.

Waall MINE gets plenty of twisty forces applied and handles them well as I have it wired to a big stake in the ground. I have a very large machinist vice and it never gets used now that the post vice is set up. I use mine hard thats HARD and it's a smaller one too... but TOUGH! I really like it!!!

What is so much better about a post vise?

A blacksmith's leg or post vise is designed to hold work while hammering. A machinist's vise is not, unless it is very large and or made from ductile iron or steel (as oposed to cast iron which is brittle). Many a good machinist vise has been ruined with a hammer

What is so much better about a post vise?

Proper tool for the job of blacksmithing, shock resistant, opens quicker than an engineers vice, will take abuse, easily dismantled and repairable.

As for twisting things in, no problem, if you are having difficulty twisting things in one, try getting the bits to be twisted hot, the blacksmiths way.

The main difference in operation between the engineers vise and the leg or post vise is the jaw action, post vise jaws open on an arc, where the engineers vise jaws open parallel, and more slowly. The engineers vise is not tolerant of abuse, and can and do break if they are left with their jaws closed tightly and there is a temperature fluctuation between use, the contraction will break them off at the throat.

Looking for some help here.
I was given a post/leg vice by my father-in-law when they moved out of their old house - needs a bit of work but it was a great gift.
I have in mind to one day make a forge wagon to take to demos and I want ti include a vise in the set-up. The vise I have is too big and heavy.
I've seen pictures of small blacksmith vises that look just like a post vise, but without the post - the vise ends at the box hinge.
This is what I'm looking for. (wish I could find some pictures)
Does this style of post-less vise go by another name?
Where can I find them?

Sam

Hi Sam, this vise pictured is not exactly what you are looking for, but works for me, and could easily be adapted to fit a trailer,

I also have used leg vises that fit into the hardie hole of your anvil both directly ( only supported by the hardie hole), and inderectly, plate on vise fits into hardie hole and the base the anvil is mounted on has a socket for the leg/post to fit into

I also have one which is out on loan at the moment that is almost like a G clamp, Instead of the base leg extending, it has the G clamp arrangement which allows you to mount it to a plank or bench or lorry/pick up/trailer bed.

post-816-059651000 1277114212_thumb.jpg

post-816-087453700 1277114308_thumb.jpg

post-816-096956800 1277114336_thumb.jpg

post-816-048935300 1277114433_thumb.jpg

post-816-092966000 1277114479_thumb.jpg

post-816-014313200 1277114511_thumb.jpg

post-816-076861100 1277114711_thumb.jpg

Sam , I have seen them on Ebay from time to time.

Yeah, so have I.
I'm hoping to avoid ebay all together - you may win a great bid price but it's the shipping that will kill you.
Then there's the fact you're buying something just based on a picture - that's a tough one for me.
But thanks for the suggestion Harley.

Maybe i'll find one at quad state.

Sam

Yeah, so have I.
I'm hoping to avoid ebay all together - you may win a great bid price but it's the shipping that will kill you.
Then there's the fact you're buying something just based on a picture - that's a tough one for me.
But thanks for the suggestion Harley.

Maybe i'll find one at quad state.

Sam

Sam if ya don't need a vintage look. Pick up a 4 in non swivel bench vise weld a plate on the bottom locate a hardy post so the handle clears the heel. I put 1/4 in ears on 3 sides to take up any wobble. Have a 4 1/2 in post vise with a broken leg may adapy that one also.
Ken.