I Forge Iron

ABANA conference

njanvilman

I am eagerly awaiting a report of how the ABANA conference in Memphis went. I know it was HOT. But hopefully a good time was had by all. If anyone stayed for the auction, did you happen to catch what my BIG walnut gavel went for. Hopefully I will get to the next one. Could not get days off from teaching this time of year.

A bit hot.. The program was a bit timid as to be expected in the shape of things, and attendance was low. Enjoyed the metal museum and show very much, great presentation of the work, beautiful grounds right on the Mississippi and a really cool little shop. My favorite demos where the "patient order of meticulous metalsmiths" with Tom Latane and crew. I had never seen Brian and Lyle demo before and was amazed at the control in which the man can move metal, as well found his explanation of why he does and not just what, very refreshing and informative. Saw some old friends and met some new, Larry and I had the chance to grab a beer on Beale street. If you are ever there remember to leave your knife at home, there is a pat down search after dark to gain access as I found out. I didn't stay for the auction but I herd that any money was profit to the conference and I'm sure it was most appreciated, nice work by the way.

Nice photos there Monster Metal. I attended the action and I think the gavel went for $70. They placed it right after the first items auctioned - several pieces of Francis Whitakers that went high but not high enough IMO. The conference was definitely hot and being my first one I have nothing major to compare it to in terms of attendance - I heard there was about 1000 people there however. Seemed to be alot of first timers, myself included. I was impressed by the high price the lock that Tom Latane and crew crafted for the auction - somewhere around $21,000 I believe.
Learned a little, met alot of nice and new people and took a few pictures. I hope to upload Monday when I get more bandwidth available.

It was a great conference, definitely a learning environment. Spent a lot of time with Brian and Lyle in the shade. Lot of good information was shared by all the demonstrators and new friendships made. We got pretty good press on local TV, at least two spots. The work exhibited was broad in range and scope, but all first class. I now have a much better understanding of what I need to learn. Wish you could have been there.

Here are the pics I took and the people I was able to recruit to take pics. I had a blast, and had never been around so many blacksmiths in my life. I was worried everything may not come together to get there but it worked out great. I would like to thank Brian for coaching me through my first Abana conference, and everyone that stopped by to see us. It was great. Clint got a few pictures with some of the IFORGEIRON crew that we were able to find, we should see those soon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/ABANA2010#

Here are a few pictures that I got, i tried to get as many people together for a group shot but it was hard to find every one and get together at one time. Thanks to every one for taking time out for this, I really enjoyed meeting all ya-all and had some great conversations with every one that I was able to meet.
post-10376-039222100 1275879877_thumb.jppost-10376-008979700 1275879883_thumb.jppost-10376-033377600 1275879888_thumb.jppost-10376-023556900 1275879894_thumb.jppost-10376-003254900 1275879900_thumb.jppost-10376-082570200 1275879905_thumb.jp

Well, I didn't get any pictures, but I got to see and talk to alot of people and friends that I've met over the years. I also met alot of new friends. There were many more IFI people than the pictures show. Fat Pete isn't fat. DickL already had experience with the Two-sided taper, and could have helped teach the class at the teaching station. LDW was a big help. The highlight of the conference for me was when Lyle, LDW, and Greg forged the 3" top fuller out of 1 3/4" 1045. I kind of pressured Lyle into it, and he may have not been too comfortable with it at first, but they did great!

I'm glad LDW got some pictures of Tsur Sedan and I making that horsehead. We had fun and laughed about our travels with Tom Clark that we shared.

I finally got to upload the 2010 ABANA Conf pics I took. Alot of the gallery stuff, some good photos of folks and then finally everything else - tailgaters, demonstrators etc.
Hopefully this link will work. I hope everybody enjoyed as much as I did. Sad thing about it though - it had to end. Looking forward to next one.

ABANA 2010 Photos on Webshots

The program was a bit timid as to be expected in the shape of things, and attendance was low
I do not know what conference that you attended, but I was in Memphis for the Abana conference and I think that it was great, and the volunteers that put this together did an excellent job.
Did you volunteer or donate anything to help out?
Did you bump your head?

Check out: http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/060410-ms-blacksmith-travels-the-world
and:http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/060310-blacksmiths-show-off-talent-

These are the two television spots on the conference.

The program was a bit timid as to be expected in the shape of things, and attendance was low
I do not know what conference that you attended, but I was in Memphis for the Abana conference and I think that it was great, and the volunteers that put this together did an excellent job.
Did you volunteer or donate anything to help out?
Did you bump your head?

That was my perspective, I did donate and I wasn't bumping anyone there but felt this NATIONAL group wasn't supported by its members as much as I expected. I hear a lot about what ABANA owes its members but don't see those people bucking up! I feel a responsibility to help others learn about the craft through ABANA and its resources and hope to contribute more. It may have been that people just really cant afford it right now including myself.

I would like to thank you and everyone who was there for for their support of ABANA.

post-2769-051467500 1275996108_thumb.jpg

That was my perspective, I did donate and I wasn't bumping anyone there but felt this NATIONAL group wasn't supported by its members as much as I expected. I hear a lot about what ABANA owes its members but don't see those people bucking up! I feel a responsibility to help others learn about the craft through ABANA and its resources and hope to contribute more. It may have been that people just really cant afford it right now including myself.

I would like to thank you and everyone who was there for for their support of ABANA.

Ok thanks for clearing that up, I digress. I came half way across the country and I saw at least 20 other CBA members there, and the people that did not attend missed out on a great opportunity

That is a great picture, Danger Dillon. Did everyone that went get to sign the Tom Clark Memorial Nail with their touch mark? I did, and I sure remember making alot of those nails with Tom.

Yes! I was proud to put my mark on the nail. I'm also the ugly guy holding the small end of the nail against the 'tree'. I did not get a nail into the tree tho and I'm ticked about that. I made a couple of fancy nails at home but wasn't happy with them, felt they had to be perfect for such a memorial. I do have plans to get one on it though.

Brain, I too would like to thank you for the time you spent demoing and sharing your enormous knowledge. You do a fantastic job.

As far as what Clinton said about volunteering/donating. I helped a little on the setup Tuesday and donated a small piece for the auction. I walked in the gallery and saw the caliber of work there and thought "Ain't no way I'm going to put my little dinner bell in THIS deal." but later that day I saw how many folks were there that had NEVER picked up a hammer! If they thought that they had to produce that quality of work to be a blacksmith then they may never pick up a hammer. So my little humble piece was there to encourage the newbies, hope I did so. BTW, it brought $90 in the auction and I purchased some of Tsur and Amit's demo pieces.

Made a bunch of new friends, learned a lot, both from the demonstrators and those I met. This was my first ABANA conference and hope to attend more in the future.

I would like to thank all of those who attended the 2010 ABANA Conference. I saw quite a few IFI t-shirts in the crowd. I did not get to chat very much as I was running around finding stuff for demonstrators, arranging marriages, buying beer for all the fellow set-up crew,directing people to the best places in town to get BBQ and a myriad of other bizarre stuff that seems to come up during a conference. Without your support these conferences would be a total flop. Overall there were very few hiccups or problems encountered. My Miller Bobcat died the first day but after that it went smoothly. Thank you all for coming to visit us in my hometown. Hope you all had a good time and are welcome to come visit anytime you wish.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally sorted out my pictures (there were over 500) and here are some good ones, the first couple of shots were in Mississippi, the rest are from Memphis
http://picasaweb.goo...sman/Abana2010#

Hello and thank u. I had all he intention of going. I have not gone to a Bi-Annual conference since 1998. This year I had a broken neck, I really appreciate the pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice photos there Monster Metal. I attended the action and I think the gavel went for $70. They placed it right after the first items auctioned - several pieces of Francis Whitakers that went high but not high enough IMO. The conference was definitely hot and being my first one I have nothing major to compare it to in terms of attendance - I heard there was about 1000 people there however. Seemed to be alot of first timers, myself included. I was impressed by the high price the lock that Tom Latane and crew crafted for the auction - somewhere around $21,000 I believe.
Learned a little, met alot of nice and new people and took a few pictures. I hope to upload Monday when I get more bandwidth available.

Unfortunately I could not attend the conference, however I did donate two pieces, "melody" and the unnamed woman. I haven't heard from abana yet do you know how much the two pieces went for? All the proceeds went to the abana coffers