I Forge Iron

"nordic" padlock

made this over the weekend, a "Nordic" padlock. i saw a very nice one in the gallery a while ago but cant remember whos it was. if anyone cold tell me i would like to know. anyway, this is a very simple mechanism but can throw a coupl curveballs in fitting the key. the springs are old carbon steel hack saw blad tempered purple-blue and rivetted on. probabl would have been fine just brazed on and left un tempered, but oh well. the tube was an old spent CO2 cartridge and i would have put another tube in the long "arm" of the bale but had no tubing that size. i will make another of these someday, alot better aesthetically and more rods to hold it together, but it works!
post-1642-024888200 1275621426_thumb.jpg post-1642-017599600 1275621352_thumb.jpg post-1642-033790100 1275621492_thumb.jpg post-1642-011533900 1275621692_thumb.jpg
Ed Steinkirchner

the long srm of the bsil goes into the top holes until the spring wings click into the bottom slot, thus keeping the lock...uh...locked. the key is inserted through the other end of the tube and pushes the wings back together and allows them to come apart. it took about 5 hours and that counts breaks and lunch. this lock was more for fun than anything, and the next one will have a tube around the bail leg, about 8 bars, and a better overall appearence. but this one works and the fit is very tight, no jiggle when locked. oh, and those old cartridges are good sources for short pieces of extruded tubing, like ferrules for chisels, and anything that should resist splitting the tube, they also make good file handles for the small triangle files. that site is a very good site thank you for posting! i will make some of those in the future. the enginuity and creativity in those mechanisms is amazing.
thank you all for posting

Ed Steinkirchner