I Forge Iron

Economic coal shake up

Okay, I had some very good coal and ran out, and now have not so good coal and am soon to run out. Now I am having a horrid time trying to find good coal at a reasonable price between Atlanta and Charleston WV. There are several coal companies but they no longer sell to the public :(

Anyone know where I can get Pocco #3? I know Penncoal sells it but with shipping it is about 52 USD for a 50# bag.

Keystone Services Industries, Inc., Keystone, WV; (304) 862-4529 Located 30 minutes west of Bluefield, WV on US 52. Yard open M-F, call for price.
Green Valley Coal Co. (The old Lady H Mine) -- Leivasy, WV 304 846-6600

Do they no longer sell to individuals, or below a certain tonnage?
If they are not selling to the public as in individuals, have you thought of getting a business license if you don't have one or telling them if you do?
If they don't want to sell below some tonnage can you go in with others to get the needed tonnage?

ron

This is what I've read and have been told. Coal is most often sold in 100,000 ton lots and trainload lots, and maybe half of our coal goes overseas for steel making plants, especially Japan. That is why us little guys are having a hard time when we want one 100# bag to one ton. I used to get coal loose in my pickup at the King Mine near Durango, CO, but about 3 years ago, they quit selling to the public. They will sell to a retail distributor, if that retailer can buy a large dump truck amount, about 25 tons or more.

The last time I was there, I saw one large truck load after another being filled and hitting the road. I'm pretty sure they had a contract with the Four Corners Power Plant which is not too far from the mine.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of

This is why living in Tennessee I am starting to think of going to gas. I really don't want to, I enjoy using coal even though it's dirty & smelly when gas is cleaner, I enjoy useing coal. I like the smell and don't mind the dirt, to me that's what make blacksmithing, blacksmithing. But with no suppliers close by and it costing more to ship then what you pay for the coal, I may not have a choice.

I found a supplier and just got some coal from him after driving over 3 1/2 hours one way but he is closing up and retiring at the young age of 82, so easy come easy go. Now I'll have to go back to mail order and the high cost of shipping.

The only answer I can see is a group of smith in a given area getting together and forming a Co-Op kind of thing. Maybe that way we could find and get a supplier that would be willing to do business. I don't know just a though.
BillP

Okay, I had some very good coal and ran out, and now have not so good coal and am soon to run out. Now I am having a horrid time trying to find good coal at a reasonable price between Atlanta and Charleston WV. There are several coal companies but they no longer sell to the public :(

Anyone know where I can get Pocco #3? I know Penncoal sells it but with shipping it is about 52 USD for a 50# bag.

If your in the Atlanta area check out Sidney Lee welding supply http://www.sidneylee.com/ they carry Kimmels Premium Bituminous Blacksmith coal from Wiconisco Pa the price is $15.00 a 50lb bag

Here in central Kansas, the club I belong to bought in bulk some 25 tons or thereabouts. It came in from NE Ok. It worked out to a price of $150 a ton. I've picked up most of a ton, which at the rate I've been able to fire up the forge lately should last a few years. Hopefully I can get more hammer time soon.

ron

TIME TO READ THE WRITING ON THE WALL

These days, politically speaking, coal is evil. It will continue to see more restrictions put on it and price/ availability will suffer. That's just the way it is.

Those in a position to group together and buy a large quantity now should do so sooner than later. Get a pile to last and wait out the current state of affairs in anticipation of better days ahead.

Band together, locate a source (directly contact a company that is working the specific type you want) and hire a trucker to collect the load at the time of the run.

Better days are coming folks, it wouldn't hurt if you showed up at the polls.

Revolution time? Let me get my tomahawk!!! Lol it sounds like all the more reason to join a forge counsel or form one if there isn't one in your region. I'm only 35 and I remember as a kid in the early 70's the train coming through my hometown of Ethel, MS. There was always coal left behind from the train cars. Also the I'll never forget the wood shaving and coal smoke coming from the town smithy operated by Mr. Lawson Burchfield. 

I located a suppler in St George UT that sells unbagged coal for $6 per 100#, $120 per ton. Haven't made it by his place yet to get a sample, or see if he has the analysis for it. How much space does a ton of coal take up? Does anyone know how many pounds a 55 gallon drum will hold on average? I have plenty of empty drums that I could use to get the coal.

A couple of years ago I bought 3 tons of coke. When it showed up it was in 3 "Super Sacks" , which were huge cubic bags 4 feet square and tall.

Luckily they were on wood pallets, but were quite a challenge to move out of my driveway without a forklift or tractor.

I think coke is a bit less dense than coal so a ton of coal would be slightly smaller in volume.

I suspect that like so many commodities a large proportion of the cost is transportation and handling.

Good quality smithing coal or coke seems to be harder to find in smaller quantities with each passing year.

Gas forges are definitely the way to go for so many reasons, but it would be hard to eliminate a coal fire for certain operations.

Induction forges look very attractive for production work, but seem limited in use for pieces that go through large changes in section or profile from one heat to the next .

I am familiar with the Super Sacks from when I worked at the Jelly Belly Candy Co. I have trailers,and a forklift so transportation isn't a problem for me. So it looks like what I need to do now is stop by his place, and see what kind of coal he has.

We used to buy coal in metal drums from one of our guild members. The coal was essentially coal dust and small pieces 1/4 inch and smaller (fines), so that might affect the weight, but our barrels supposedly held 400 pounds.

We paid $100 for the coal and $20 for the barrel. The coal came from the Cadomin area West of Edmonton. We have used up all our supply, and have been searching for a new suppliy. I tried the Gregg River and Cardinal River coal companies and they are not interested in selling anything less than a train load. I am going to try the other source at Grande Cache to see if they will sell us a truck load. We are currently buying smithing coal from Home Hardware at about $60 for a 50 lb bag of east coast coal. Excellent to work with, but a bit pricy.

-Don- Western Canadian Blacksmiths Guild