I Forge Iron

I think thats part of the idea Jesus.

Poor beaudry never gets its day in the sun. The same day it finally gets to a real foundation the 'big hammer' award goes to another machine.

I think it will be important for me to pick a weekend date for the hammmer-in sooner this coming year. Maybe we can settle on it by august.

Even funnier then that Grant.. Our west coast competition (and good friend) Tony Swatton has the exact same color on all his equiptment. He told us he didnt know we were bidding and was holding his finger over the enter key to bid but decided he should wait.

Pretty much every shop tool we have but our IK beam hammer is blue and I see blue in its near future! The beaudry is baby blue, but it came that way from Gitchner.

The drop hammer is black and crusty, but that seems fitting.

I got a lead on a huge forging shop very near me I never new existed. Stopped by today but they had just closed up. Rumor is piles of forging dies and 3 or 4 drop hammers. Their yard is a 1950's industrial explosion. I'm pretty excited to see it later this week.

There is no counter weight right now. How light/heavy do you guys recommend on the foot pedal?

Call Scott Lankton in Michigan..he has a 4B.
A spring may work as well...BUT
the real idea is to counterweight what the treadle is(or will be) as everyone welds on a new bit or two for the foot and this trows off the feel of the counterweight. I cut off the bent front of my treadle and added something Iiked....and had to add to counterweight anyway.

I suggest you clamp on some rectangular bar about a foot from the end until it feels good (rapid response and all) and then tack it together allowing for movement with a set screw later.

Ric

Talked to the dealer I bought the hammer from, and they had taken the oiler off for shipping because it was loose.

They are shipping it out to Kerry UPS this week.

Thats a big sigh of relief.

Mike Lambiase

Mike,
Nice how they told you and the driver about this eh?...I mean I am sure it was in the Bill of Lading for the shipment and all....written in all nice and clear....
It is a good thing you called and asked.

Ric

• 3 months later...

So the good and the bad.

Good is hammer runs! We rented a generator for the weekend to get it up and running and 'installed' the oiler with a very slow motor drive I had laying around.

Bad, Hammer seems to be running with the valving backwards or some such thing. Pedal up, hammer down. Pedal down, hammer up. Solutions?

We compaired the linkage to other hammers around the net and it SEEMS to be setup the same.

runday003.JPG

Part of the linkage/travel stop is missing from your hand lever and quadrant. In normal operation the handle should stop around 3" from the bolt. That 3" area is clamp.

Yep, I can tell the way it's coming down that it's going into clamp. Just need to push the lever farther to the back and you'll be strokin'!

I sent Kerry (via email) pictures of the linkage on my 3B. He will get an understanding of the type of linkage he is missing and the relative positioning of the treadle and main lever for normal and clamp operation.

However, the physical linkage of the 4B is different than a 3B.

Can someone post a picture of the linkage of a 4B from the right side of the hammer so he know what he is missing (and where it needs to be installed).

Hey Grant,

I assumed so too, just move it back. When we did it started smacking the top on the inside. Too scary to move it past that point, this thing is a beast.

We dont have the dies installed(about 70 lbs each) and we dont have a muffler.

Think thats enough to make the tup jump too high or are we out of adjustment somewhere? I only have power here tomorrow so if we can't figure it out it will have to wait a bit.

Seeing it rise up right away did feel good!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Bill life is getting in the way at the moment. Bruce Wallace did send me factory drawings and parts lists so I have a better idea what I'm looking at. Unsloicited. Nice of him.

Matt Harris has gone into his hammer quite a bit as has Dave Hammer, both are local to me. I may have to bribe them with food to come over at some point.

It will be a week or more before we get into it. End of selling season here and I'm trying to squeese a few more $$$ out of the year.

I was looking at some repair photos from Mark Krause today and noticed something.

The place where the cushion plug goes is simply empty.

Seems pretty obvious the seller isnt telling everything they know. I talked to the person who sold it to Yoder Machine and they said it was sold with dies and running right out of their shop. (actually was traded in on a 6b)

It should be interesting to see what else is up as we get
into it.

I talked to the person who sold it to Yoder Machine and they said it was sold with dies and running right out of their shop. (actually was traded in on a 6b)

It should be interesting to see what else is up as we get
into it.

When I called Yoder I was told that the dies fell off in transit.
I don't know about you, but I'm sure my hammer dies could survive the hammer falling off the truck, rolling down a hill and being hit my a train without falling out.
The treadle counter weight was off as well yes?

I would think that they pulled them when they painted it and just never put them in. probably got scrapped at Yoder.

Ric